Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Giants were looking at Capers as our defensive coordinator a few years back. We decided to go in house with Bill Sheridan. Horrible decision. Even though we run a 4-3.

Comment

• Diivox
      It's the other way.
      • Apr 2009

Dom Capers is the same thing as McCarthy = very good coordinators who arent very good head coaches.

McCarthy's insistence on running the ball despite no success at it is why the Packers BARELY made the playoffs when he could just have Rogers throw deep to Jennings every play and shatter Marino's passing records. He also has the clock management skills of a 5 year old wasting a summer day burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Capers a very good X's and O's guy, and so is McCarthy, so with a top shelf GM like Thompson it works. but both are not really suited to being head coaches.

Comment

• shag773
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by North
        True, but he also took the expansion Panthers to the NFC CG in his second year. That's pretty damn impressive.
        Yes, that was a great year. Unfortunatly for him he was unable to come close to that success the 6 seasons after that. He had his shot, I'd be mildly suprised if his name resurfaced for another job.

Comment

• MrBill
          Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Diivox
          Dom Capers is the same thing as McCarthy = very good coordinators who arent very good head coaches.

McCarthy's insistence on running the ball despite no success at it is why the Packers BARELY made the playoffs when he could just have Rogers throw deep to Jennings every play and shatter Marino's passing records. He also has the clock management skills of a 5 year old wasting a summer day burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Capers a very good X's and O's guy, and so is McCarthy, so with a top shelf GM like Thompson it works. but both are not really suited to being head coaches.
          Agreed. The Packers win some games in spite of McCarthy's play calling due to the talent that is on the roster.

Comment

• Primetime
            Thank You Prince
            • Nov 2008

While I think we win some games despite McCarthy's coaching, the point made about running too much is false, at least among most Packers fans. We've been crying all year to run the ball more and more rather than throw more. The run/pass ratio this year was 38-62 in favor of the pass. Now that the coaches finally have confidence in someone not named Grant, we're running the ball much more frequently. We've actually had 95 rushing attempts to Rodgers 93 passing attempts so far in the playoffs.

Comment

• packersfan4eva
              Ryan Luxem
              • Dec 2008

1. Two NFC title game appearances in four years says otherwise.

2. What? They didn't run the ball...ever...in the regular season. Only in the playoffs, with James Starks playing semi-well, do we run the ball.

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
              I would get fucked in the ass for WS tickets too... only if Miguel was playing though

Comment

• Hasselbeck
                Jus' bout dat action boss
                • Feb 2009

Dear PackersFan4Eva,

There are no head coaching vacancies in the NFL at this time. Thanks for noticing.

Sincerely yours,
                The NFL.
                Originally posted by ram29jackson
                I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Tengo Juego
                  Posts a lot
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MrBill
                  Agreed. The Packers win some games in spite of McCarthy's play calling due to the talent that is on the roster.
                  I'm not sure if you just agreed because of your differences in Mike's coaching, or if you really believe what Diivox posted.

I'd have to do some numbers research, but our Pass/Rush ratio has got to be something like 70/30. Mike's been persistent about how important it is for us to run the ball, even when it's not for large yardage production. But it hasn't gotten so bad in a game where we lost because Mike chose to run the ball over passing. As a matter of fact, while watching games in Packer chats, it's been the opposite feeling from a lot of fans.

Comment

• Spidey
                    • Feb 2009

Yeah, if anything I'd like to see McCarthy run more. However, we need to get a decent running back (getting Grant back will help although hes rather unspectacular. But he's consistent and runs hard at least. Starks has the potential to be the answer) and the line had to get better at run blocking for that to truly be effective.

I'd actually hate it if we went deep constantly. I mean if it works great but McCarthy gets fancy and tries to do this every once and a while now when he should stick to our bread and butter quick passes with occasional shots. Drives me crazy. The line is getting better but often times Rodgers doesn't get the time he needs to let the deep passes develop.

McCarthy can look like a genius one game and a dunce in others where he outsmarts himself. As long as the results stay positive though its hard to be too angry.

Comment

Working...