• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rivers17ncsu
    Amerson For Thorpe!
    • Mar 2010

Steven Threet forced to quit football due to concussions

due to concussions

Arizona State QB Steven Threet no longer playing football after concussions - ESPN

"Steven Threet, Arizona State's starting quarterback for most of the 2010 season, says he will not play football anymore.

Threet, who will be a senior in 2011, has suffered four concussions, two of which occurred last season. Threet told The Arizona Republic on Wednesday that he's still experiencing symptoms from the last concussion and still has headaches and has trouble sleeping.

Threet had a concussion Oct. 23 at California and another Nov. 26 against UCLA that ended his junior season.

"Doctors have told him a fifth concussion could be debilitating," a source told ESPN. "You don't want to be 35 years old and can't hold up a cup of coffee."

Last season, Threet completed 62 percent of his passes, throwing for 2,534 yards with 18 touchdowns and 16 interceptions for the Sun Devils. He was sacked 23 times for ASU (6-6). It was his first season of play since transferring from Michigan, where he was the Wolverines' starting quarterback in 2008.

The 6-5, 240-pound Threet, who is on schedule to graduate in December, will likely remain close to the program and help as a student assistant and work with the QBs, the source said.

Arizona State begins spring football in the last week of March. Rising junior Brock Osweiler, who started the final two games of the 2010 season (both Sun Devils wins), is expected to be the team's No. 1 quarterback."
    "It's the revenge of the dicks that's nine cocks that cock nines"
  • G-men
    Posts too much
    • Nov 2011

sucks whenever a young kid gets knocked out of the game due to injuries, especially when it's because of concussions.

Comment

• NAHSTE
      Probably owns the site
      • Feb 2009

At least he can always say he played for three Div1 college football teams in his life. I'm excited to see Brock Osweiller start though, fucker is yoooooge. 6'8 250 lbs. He makes Scott Mitchell look like Drew Brees.

Comment

• SuperKevin
        War Hero
        • Dec 2009

I wouldn't necessarily say he quit football. That just sounds bad. He retired from the game due to injuries

Comment

• Buzzman
          • Oct 2008

I'm pretty sure he's retiring because he's ineligible after 4 years and won't get drafted because he's fucking awful.

Comment

• Golden Taters
            RIP West
            • Jul 2009

Another concussion would have left him brain dead.

Life > Football.

Comment

• strahanfan92
              Meat
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Potatoes002
              Life > Football.
              I guess we can agree to disagree.

Comment

• Rivers17ncsu
                Amerson For Thorpe!
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Buzzman
                I'm pretty sure he's retiring because he's ineligible after 4 years and won't get drafted because he's fucking awful.
                article even says he will be a Senior this up-coming season, so he is still eligible.
                "It's the revenge of the dicks that's nine cocks that cock nines"

Comment

• cf24
                  WESTBROOK
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                  At least he can always say he played for three Div1 college football teams in his life. I'm excited to see Brock Osweiller start though, fucker is yoooooge. 6'8 250 lbs. He makes Scott Mitchell look like Drew Brees.
                  I was at ASU a couple weeks ago and found myself standing next to Osweiler in line at the Burger King on campus. He looks every inch of that 6'8. I pretended to tie my shoe so that people could go ahead of me and be dwarfed by him instead of me standing in his shadow.

Comment

• Survivor
                    Sporting Spirit
                    • Dec 2009

Why in the world was this guy starting over Oswieler anyways? He seems like a great guy but a inconsistent QB. I bet he'll make a good coach though!

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

What ever happened to Arizona State's football program? They are terrible now. How can they not win in the god-awful PAC 10?

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                        My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                        What ever happened to Arizona State's football program? They are terrible now. How can they not win in the god-awful PAC 10?
                        It really started when Dirk Koetter decided to bench Sam Keller for Rudy Carpenter.

Not sure how it would have turned out if Keller had continued to start, but Carpenter wound up being completely mediocre and Keller transferred.

Comment

• Survivor
                          Sporting Spirit
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                          It really started when Dirk Koetter decided to bench Sam Keller for Rudy Carpenter.

Not sure how it would have turned out if Keller had continued to start, but Carpenter wound up being completely mediocre and Keller transferred.
                          Keller transferred... to do what? Become an All-American? At Nebraska Keller's numbers were good against horrible teams, but he is hated by the Huskers. Hell, the entire Big XII considers the kid garbage. If it wasn't for his lawsuit against EA I would barely know who he is...

There has to be more to it than that...

Comment

Working...