X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Jim Tressel stepping down? Fired?

Ohio State Coach Jim Tressel, athletic director Gene Smith and president Gordon Gee will conduct a 7 p.m. press conference Tuesday night to respond to allegations in a Yahoo! Sports report that Tressel knew of his players’ NCAA violations but did not report his knowledge to school officials.

There is no official word as to what message will come from the press conference. Multiple reports, citing anonymous source, say OSU officials have huddled throughout the day to discuss their reaction. Smith, scheduled to be in New York City early Tuesday for a press conference with CBS and Turner Sports, returned to Columbus, Ohio, according to CNBC sports business report Darren Rovell.

The Yahoo! Report, published online Monday night, accuses Tressel of learning in April that several of his players sold OSU gear and items won as Buckeyes to the owner of a local tattoo parlor. Smith said in December that no one in the Ohio State athletic department knew of the players’ actions until that month, when officials from a local U.S. Attorney’s Office informed OSU officials.

If Tressel knew of the transactions but did not report them, he and Ohio State could face significant NCAA violations and sanctions. Tressel could also lose his job, according to his contract with the school. Further, the Buckeyes could be forced to vacate their 12 victories in 2010, including the Big Ten and Sugar Bowl championships, for known use of ineligible players.

Tressel and Ohio State's president and AD plan press conference - NCAA Football - Sporting News
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Gordon Gee is an idiot to the highest degree. Very high and mighty when other people get caught cheating, but he shuts the fuck up when his school is the one mired in scandal (after scandal after scandal).

I predict Tressel will get a "stern reprimand" and nothing more.

Comment

• ralaw
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

Tressel could also lose his job, according to his contract with the school. Further, the Buckeyes could be forced to vacate their 12 victories in 2010, including the Big Ten and Sugar Bowl championships, for known use of ineligible players.
      That's funny because the NCAA ruled these players were eligible for the Sugar Bowl.....I guess everyone has made their money, so the rules have changed.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
        Buckeye For Life
        • Dec 2008

@kgordonosu
        Ken Gordon
        Safe to report that there will be no nuclear bombs tonight. Tressel is not being fired/resigning.
        And then beyond that, please understand this is developing as we speak.
        Also... from about as close to JT and the staff as you can get without being a member of the staff about what the press conference will entail:

show of support for the JT and the AD, will be as transparent as possible, the school has nothing to hide. Provided the authorities all the information possible and any notion that they haven't is pure hearsay. Yada yada yada

Comment

• Sportsbuck
          Buckeye For Life
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
          Gordon Gee is an idiot to the highest degree. Very high and mighty when other people get caught cheating, but he shuts the fuck up when his school is the one mired in scandal (after scandal after scandal).
          Gee has been at Ohio State (His 2nd tenure) since 2007... since then, he's dealt with one scandal, that being tatgate.

He's an academic though Senser... being high and mighty when others fail is pretty much them to a T.

Comment

• Senser81
            VSN Poster of the Year
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sportsbuck
            Gee has been at Ohio State (His 2nd tenure) since 2007... since then, he's dealt with one scandal, that being tatgate.

He's an academic though Senser... being high and mighty when others fail is pretty much them to a T.
            Gee also said that Boise and TCU don't deserve to be in BCS bowl games...great guy. He also oversaw the reigns of John Cooper and Jim O'Brien during his first tenure at Ohio State, who were two of the more corrupt football and basketball coaches.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
              Buckeye For Life
              • Dec 2008

Gee is a fantastic President on the academic side, actually on the non-athletic side entirely would be the best description, but I cringe everytime he talks sports.

Look, I understand how you view him because of the coaches that coached under him, but considering Gee merely publically vocalized what the other BCS Presidents are thinking and saying being closed doors I feel like he's getting a lot more shit than he deserves in that regard.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
                Buckeye For Life
                • Dec 2008

2 game suspension and possible sanctions are recommended.

Comment

• Rudi
                  #CyCueto
                  • Nov 2008

2 game suspension, 250K fine, has to attend a "compliance seminar", and publicly apologize. via Michael Smith.

Slap on the wrist, lol.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                    My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                    • Mar 2009

I know he makes way more, but 250K is a pretty hefty fine.

Nothing compared to those Sugar Bowl winnings, though

Comment

• tigstah
                      Mr. Casual Gamer
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Rudi
                      2 game suspension, 250K fine, has to attend a "compliance seminar", and publicly apologize. via Michael Smith.

Slap on the wrist, lol.
                      not even a hard slap. wtf.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
                        Buckeye For Life
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tigstah
                        not even a hard slap. wtf.
                        I think the fact that the FBI investigation was a big part of it bought him some leniancy.

NCAA can still impose additional sanctions, keep that in mind.

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                          My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                          • Mar 2009

Tressel should be forced to wear a spandex jumpsuit on the sideline this season.

Comment

• Rudi
                            #CyCueto
                            • Nov 2008

We still aren't out of the clear....NCAA can still come down hard on us. I'm hoping they don't but who knows

Comment

• ram29jackson
                              Noob
                              • Nov 2008

this a waste of time-

players sold/selling their own stuff for a few bucks is not worthy of any violation. If this was the big news about a top 25 program in trouble, its the dumbest thing I've heard as of yet. The NCAA heads are a waste of money ,space and time.

Comment

Working...