NFL Conference Call (Kickoff, Replay, Illegal Hits Proposal)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strahanfan92
    Meat
    • Aug 2009

NFL Conference Call (Kickoff, Replay, Illegal Hits Proposal)

ILLEGAL HITS
    NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories:

• QB in act of throwing
    • Receiver trying to catch pass
    • Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
    • Player fielding punt or kickoff
    • Kicker or punter during kick
    • QB after change of possession
    • Receiver who receives blind-side block
    • Player already on ground

KICKOFF CHANGES?
    • Competition committee will propose moving kickoff to 35-yard line, and bringing touchback out to 25. No changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with ball coming out to 20.
    • No player other than kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind ball.
    • Outlawing wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

REPLAY CHANGES?
    • Committee will propose making all scoring plays reviewable. Replay official would order replays on any touchdowns, field goals, safeties and extra points without the coaches needing to challenge. Similar to current system for final two minutes of each half and overtime.
    • Eliminating third coach's challenge if he is successful on first two.

NFL SCHEDULE
    NFL plans to release regular-season schedule in mid-April, despite current work stoppage.

NO-GO
    There will be no "Calvin Johnson rule" proposal on what is a catch.

Why change the kickoff rules? Why?
  • j.hen
    Self Care
    • Oct 2008

Fuck the NFL. CJ made that catch and it should've been a TD.

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

The NFL sucks.

Comment

• f16harm
        -
        • Feb 2009

Every single one of these is a fucking joke. If you are going to fuck with kickoffs that much why not just get rid of them altogether NFL coaches love touchbacks from a defensive standpoint when kicking off, they'll just simply NOT employ a kicker on the squad that cannot put it in the endzone every time. Windy days will be the only factor.

The Calvin Johnson rule is not bad, in theory, the problem is the lack of common sense allowed to interpret the rule. Especially during review, a ref can damn well spot the intent on release of the ball. If it comes out on its own from landing, it's no catch. But if the receiver is reaching/getting up/waaaaaay out of bounds 2 seconds later/etc. etc......it's a fucking "catch." Why is it millions of kids on playgrounds over the years never seem to argue over this type of shit, but professionals do with a million cameras all around????? If kids on a playground can decide if it is a catch in 10 seconds...why can't grown men making millions???

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
          Laughs Unlimited
          • Nov 2008

WTF is wrong with the competition committee? :hammer:
          sigpic

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
            Laughs Unlimited
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by f16harm
            Every single one of these is a fucking joke. If you are going to fuck with kickoffs that much why not just get rid of them altogether NFL coaches love touchbacks from a defensive standpoint when kicking off, they'll just simply NOT employ a kicker on the squad that cannot put it in the endzone every time. Windy days will be the only factor.

The Calvin Johnson rule is not bad, in theory, the problem is the lack of common sense allowed to interpret the rule. Especially during review, a ref can damn well spot the intent on release of the ball. If it comes out on its own from landing, it's no catch. But if the receiver is reaching/getting up/waaaaaay out of bounds 2 seconds later/etc. etc......it's a fucking "catch." Why is it millions of kids on playgrounds over the years never seem to argue over this type of shit, but professionals do with a million cameras all around????? If kids on a playground can decide if it is a catch in 10 seconds...why can't grown men making millions???
            Yeah I don't like any of the rules changes. More players to be suspended this year for illegal hits. Touchback rules is retarded. I almost like the replay rules. Replaying all touchdowns is cool but how much time will that cost? Every touchdown reviewable will make every game longer. And taking away the third review kinda sucks, but that's ok with me. The 3rd review seemed like a gameboard rule, it just didn't fit in this game.

I'd like to see some rule change on the megatron catch. He was robbed. It reminds me of Troy Polamalu getting robbed of a game changing INT against the Colts in the playoffs a few years ago. The completion rule needs to be clear cut, no room for error IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

• Survivor
              Sporting Spirit
              • Dec 2009

So you can't hit a QB in the act of throwing? Should you even try to sack the QB at all? Jesus Christ. At first I thought this was a joke.

I'm pretty sure we could make a better list. Why don't they make pass interference and similar penalties reviewable? How about defining a catch a little more clearly instead of changing the Calvin Johnson rule? There has to be a line somewhere felas, and there will always be people arguing over near catches. I say it should remain an incomplete.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

You can't hit the QB while throwing? WHAT THE FUCK?

Hypothetically if I'm a QB I can take the snap and immedietly start pump faking the ball. That means I can't be hit and can't fumble(tuck rule).

Awesome.

Comment

• Survivor
                  Sporting Spirit
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer

Hypothetically if I'm a QB I cantake the snap and immedietly start pump faking the ball. That means I can't be hit and can't fumble(tuck rule).

Awesome.
                  The future of football right here. Six QB Set full of pump faking and scrambling around. I'm loving it.

Comment

• CaribbeanJoseph
                    I Can Score Goals
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Survivor
                    So you can't hit a QB in the act of throwing? Should you even try to sack the QB at all? Jesus Christ. At first I thought this was a joke.
                    Originally posted by FirstTimer

Hypothetically if I'm a QB I cantake the snap and immedietly start pump faking the ball. That means I can't be hit and can't fumble(tuck rule).

Awesome.
                    I'm hoping that it's just been poorly worded.

Comment

• St. Francisco
                      45-35 Never Forget
                      • Feb 2009

Player fielding punt or kickoff - So now, the stupidity of a returner not smart enough to call for a fair catch will be rewarded?

QB after change of possession - Listen, if he doesn't want to be a defender after throwing an INT, then he needs to fall on the ground.

Comment

• Survivor
                        Sporting Spirit
                        • Dec 2009

In high school as a receiver I got a concussion from a linebacker who laid me out on an INT. I was running a wheel route to the left, but the QB had the option to throw a quick slant on the other side. He threw an INT exactly as I made my break up field from the wheel and I got knocked the fuck out...

Do I think I should have been protected by some rules or something there? Hell no. It's football. Jesus. If I didn't want to risk injury I wouldn't have played. I don't think the NFL should be any different.

Comment

• G-men
                          Posts too much
                          • Nov 2011

you cant hit a receiver catching the ball? so if youre a safety running towards the play and you get there as he coming down with the ball, you are just supposed to sit there and let the guy make the catch?

i REALLY hope that was poorly worded as well.

Comment

• celtsxpatsxsox
                            Redsox
                            • Oct 2008

Yeah it is just poorly worded. All it is saying what types of positions you can't have a helmet to helmet hit on. Not sure where everyone got the you can no longer hit a QB/WR anymore.

Comment

• Cryolemon
                              English Dolphins Fan
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CaribbeanJoseph
                              I'm hoping that it's just been poorly worded.
                              You'd hope so, but this is the NFL were talking about.

Comment

Working...