X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rayman
    Spic 'n Spanish
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by shag773
    He was a story before he ever got to the Cowboys. Who drafted him is insignificant. You put a high profile draft pick with a history (I'm not saying he's Lawrence Phillips, but he was regarded as a top 10 pick that dropped 15 spots because he was thrown out of school) anywhere in the NFL and he will be scrutinized for his behavior. My issue is your contention that he gets more negative attention for being a Dallas Cowboy. My opinion, which is shared by most of the people here as far as I have read, is that he gets this attention for getting kicked out of school.

I'll agree that this transgression is minor. But you overblew the attention it actually got.
    Yes, he got the initial attention for his transgression in school. And then when it seemed possible he Cowboys might draft him it started getting blown up even moreso.

I think you're confusing what I'm saying. Everyone knew his story prior to being drafted. But ever since the day he was drafted people have been waiting for him to fuck up in the vein of Moss or someone similar. It went from being "A sad story about a kid lying because he feared the NCAA" to "This guy is the next Dallas Bad Boy, he'll surely break some laws in Dallas". It's not warranted.

Like I said, if he were drafted in Houston or somewhere like that, a "mall incident" doesn't make the front page of ESPN.com. Just like Tony Romo banging a retarded blonde singer doesn't become a hot button topic had he played for Denver.

I don't think anyone is calling the kid a thug.
    Look no further than the OP

Originally posted by MrBill
    Good stuff. With his denial of responsibility and attitude towards the police, it won't be long until he will be snorting coke and partying with hookers on his birthday while his family sits at home.

Poor Dez Bryant. Is that what you want to hear? Fine. Now tell him to pull his fucking pants up and make news for catching touchdowns, not for being thrown out of malls for Christ sake....
    Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson about offending white people with his baggy pants.

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    His "crime" wasn't having dinner with Sanders, his crime was lying about it to the NCAA. He wouldn't have lost his entire season if he had been honest. Again, bad judgement/maturity isssues. He's not a criminal, he's just a dumb kid. You just have to hope lying and getting tossed out of Foot Locker is as far as it goes.
    Hey. Great. I agree.

Can we stop comparing him to the likes of Randy Moss and Lawrence fucking Phillips now?

Comment

• shag773
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Rayman
      Like I said, if he were drafted in Houston or somewhere like that, a "mall incident" doesn't make the front page of ESPN.com. Just like Tony Romo banging a retarded blonde singer doesn't become a hot button topic had he played for Denver.
      I didn't see the story on the front page of anything, and I'm on ESPN and Yahoo everyday. The first I heard of it was from this thread, and the only evidence that I saw it was getting any kind of coverage was a screenshot you took from your yahoo page where it was buried under thirty or so stories.

You blew the coverage this story actually got out of proportion.

As far as Tony Romo goes, he gets attention because he's a Pro Bowl QB, not because he's a Dallas Cowboy. You sem to think Dallas players are under some sort of microscope that the rest of the league isn't under. I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. Tom Brady's love life has been tabloid fodder for years, and the Patriots were a team nobody gave two shits about up until 10 years ago.

Just stop, Dallas is no different than anywhere else.

Comment

• Rayman
        Spic 'n Spanish
        • Feb 2009

I didn't see the story on the front page of anything, and I'm on ESPN and Yahoo everyday. The first I heard of it was from this thread, and the only evidence that I saw it was getting any kind of coverage was a screenshot you took from your yahoo page where it was buried under thirty or so stories.

You blew the coverage this story actually got out of proportion.

As far as Tony Romo goes, he gets attention because he's a Pro Bowl QB, not because he's a Dallas Cowboy. You sem to think Dallas players are under some sort of microscope that the rest of the league isn't under. I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. Tom Brady's love life has been tabloid fodder for years, and the Patriots were a team nobody gave two shits about up until 10 years ago.

Just stop, Dallas is no different than anywhere else.
        You don't visit as much as you say, then. Sorry.

Also, that screenshot wasn't mine. Just "borrowed" it from another person since I lack the ability to do screen captures.

And you couldn't be more wrong about that last sentence.

Comment

• Rayman
          Spic 'n Spanish
          • Feb 2009

Also, that screenshot wasn't mine. Just "borrowed" it from another person since I lack the ability to do screen captures.

On that note, do me a favor; Go to ESPN.com right now, and tell me what the fourth headline from the top on that sidebar is.

Comment

• shag773
            • Jul 2009

At work I'll check the sports pages about 5-10 times a day, depending on how busy it gets. I never saw it.

Let me ask you this. Would Tom Brady have his life more scrutinized if he played in Dallas?

Comment

• Rayman
              Spic 'n Spanish
              • Feb 2009

At work I'll check the sports pages about 5-10 times a day, depending on how busy it gets. I never saw it.
              See previous post.

Let me ask you this. Would Tom Brady have his life more scrutinized if he played in Dallas?
              Absolutely. The Dallas media are animals.

Comment

• shag773
                • Jul 2009

On that note, do me a favor; Go to ESPN.com right now, and tell me what the fourth headline from the top on that sidebar is.
                It's not the first time I've seen Deion make himself sound like a moron. Story would be forgotten if that dipshit didn't have such a hard on to be kept relevant in the NFL landscape.

I'll agree that's ridiculous. But I still don't think Bryant being a Cowboy makes the story any bigger than it would have been in the first place.

Comment

• shag773
                  • Jul 2009

Absolutely. The Dallas media are animals.
                  Lol, alright man. :vogel:

Comment

• Rayman
                    Spic 'n Spanish
                    • Feb 2009

It's not the first time I've seen Deion make himself sound like a moron. Story would be forgotten if that dipshit didn't have such a hard on to be kept relevant in the NFL landscape.
                    But it's not, is it?

I'll agree that's ridiculous. But I still don't think Bryant being a Cowboy makes the story any bigger than it would have been in the first place.
                    Again, you couldn't be more wrong. Last week Bryan McCann, an UDFA rookie, actually got put on the front page for being drunk in public.

But I bet you didn't see that one either.

Comment

• shag773
                      • Jul 2009

But it's not, is it?

Again, you couldn't be more wrong. Last week Bryan McCann, an UDFA rookie, actually got put on the front page for being drunk in public.

But I bet you didn't see that one either.
                      Front page of what?

Comment

• Rayman
                        Spic 'n Spanish
                        • Feb 2009

Front page of what?
                        The same four letter website I've already gotten sick of mentioning.

Comment

• shag773
                          • Jul 2009

I didn't see it. Was it something from that ESPNDallas page?

Comment

• Rayman
                            Spic 'n Spanish
                            • Feb 2009

I didn't see it. Was it something from that ESPNDallas page?
                            Yes and no.

The main article was on ESPNDallas, but it was also a headline on the main page. Something like "Cowboys player arrested for public intoxication". It draws you in thinking it's a bigger name, and it ends up being McCann. That's how it works. I've actually had writers admit to me they love writing about the Cowboys because whenever they do, positive or negative, they always get hits.

Anyway, the link would bring you to the Dallas subpage as ESPN's policy pushes to the city pages when relevant.

:iseentit:

Comment

• Diivox
                              It's the other way.
                              • Apr 2009

I still dont understand why he is going to the mall. I stopped getting thrown out at malls when i was 17.... because i stopped going to malls. what is he doing, creeping on the 14 year emo girls at hot topic?

Comment

• bucky
                                #50? WTF?
                                • Feb 2009

Somehow, I think, if Tom Brady was drunk, with his ass hanging out, talking back to Mall Security, this would have been an even bigger story.

Used this example since we are talking about intoxication, pants sagging, and smack talking mall security.

Comment

Working...