X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Champ
    Needs a hobby
    • Oct 2008

Channing Crowder hating on Mel Kiper

Channing Crowder: Mel Kiper lied, made me spend too much money | ProFootballTalk

Channing Crowder: Mel Kiper lied, made me spend too much money
    The Miami Dolphins selected linebacker Channing Crowder in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft, and that came as a surprise to Crowder, who had been expecting to go in the first round — and who had been spending money like a guy who was banking on a first-round contract.

Six years later, Crowder is still bitter toward ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., whom Crowder says was the person who made him think he would get a multimillion-dollar rookie contract. Crowder said on WQAM that he watches the draft every year, but he watches it with some skepticism toward Kiper and the other so-called draft experts.

“Yeah I watch it and all,” Crowder said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Mel Kiper and all, he messed me over, he lied to me, told me I was top-20 had me go out and spend X amount of dollars and then owe the bank stuff. So I don’t know the guys. They’re guessing just like we guess — I can guess who the Dolphins are going to take too. But I look at it a little bit and hear the ‘experts,’ I guess they call them, to see what they say.”

Crowder is right that at the time he left Florida for the NFL draft, Kiper had him projected as a first-round draft pick. However, Kiper’s projections often change quite a bit from January to April, and that was the case with Crowder.

“I previously projected the Colts to take Florida middle linebacker Channing Crowder [in the first round], but his stock is quickly falling into the third-round area thanks to injury/durability concerns,” Kiper wrote in April of 2005.

It’s ridiculous for Crowder to say Kiper “lied” just because Kiper changed his opinion of Crowder: Everyone who analyzes the draft changes his opinion all the time. That might make Crowder correct when he says not to put much stock into the so-called draft experts’ opinions, but it hardly makes Kiper at fault for Crowder’s foolish spending.

I have a feeling that Crowder knows that, though. Whether he’s launching into bizarre diatribes about Anne Frank and Helen Keller, or saying he has no idea where London is, I usually assume that when we laugh about Crowder’s ludicrous comments, we’re laughing with him, not at him.

So while Bill Tobin genuinely despises Kiper, Crowder probably just likes to have a laugh at Kiper’s expense.

• TheImmortalGoud
    No longer a noob
    • Jan 2011

Will this guy ever shut the fuck up?

Comment

• SHOGUN
      4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
      • Jul 2009

How does a draft analyst make you spend money that you already didn't have? The extravagant purchases should come AFTER you signed your contract.

What an idiot.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
        Late to the party.
        • Jun 2009

Right. This makes sense. This guy told me I'd get a lot of money, so I went out and spent money I didn't have like a fucking idiot. The end.
        Originally posted by mgoblue2290
        If you want to win, put Drew in.

Comment

• Rayman
          Spic 'n Spanish
          • Feb 2009

:palm:

Comment

• Juggernaut
            Sitting on the Sidelines
            • Dec 2008

@ anyone drafting this clown top 20

Comment

• Woy
              RIP West
              • Dec 2008

I feel like Channing Crowder only makes news when he opens his mouth.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• strahanfan92
                Meat
                • Aug 2009

Channing Crowder is just another victim of the furious wrath of Mel Kiper.

Comment

• Prodigal Son
                  The Greatest
                  • Feb 2009

Mel Kiper Jr. does not care about black people.

Comment

• Tailback U
                    No substitute 4 strength.
                    • Nov 2008

I guess I'm alone here but I completely agree with Crowder.

When I was a kid, my mom and dad told me I could be anything I wanted. I thought for sure I was going to make the NBA and the NFL. I spent money growing up on whatever I wanted cuz I knew I'd make millions once I turned pro in both. Turns out my mom and dad are a bunch of fucking liars because I didn't get a single look anywhere after 1 season of juco football.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Crowder is a fuckhead.

Mel is a fuckhead.

Both are fuckheads.

Comment

• Houston
                        Back home
                        • Oct 2008

Doesn't Mel Kiper post here?