Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by §hayn•Da•Pain
    As I said before, this must not be a PPR list. I think this list changes up quite a bit in a PPR format.
    True. And if someone were to do a list for running backs, it would be different for a PPR format as well.

I know it would be difficult, but if someone is making a list like this, they should balance it out and take all formats into account.

I'll also remember how productive Jerome Bettis was for me in his late years with the Steelers because he was a sure bet for a touchdown and some carries because of his role as short yardage back. Some people also play in TD only leagues, and Bettis would be pretty damn valuable for that league.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

Gotta compare the player to the rest of the pack.

At the time, Rice was murdering the rest of the field. His value at his position from a fantasy perspective as a wide out was immense.

Now, you can win with any ole assortment of wide outs. But back then, having Rice would have immediately made your wide out group that much better.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

There must be some mistake, I don't see Frank Sanders on this list.

Comment

• NAHSTE
          Probably owns the site
          • Feb 2009

:yawn:

Who gives a fuck?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
            :yawn:

Who gives a fuck?
            I do.

Frank Sanders was a fine WR.

Comment

• Len B
              :moonwalk:
              • Oct 2008

As I said before, this must not be a PPR list. I think this list changes up quite a bit in a PPR format.
              PPR isn't a standard fantasy stat so it makes sense that it isn't.

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
                Laughs Unlimited
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Len B
                PPR isn't a standard fantasy stat so it makes sense that it isn't.
                I personally think PPR is better than Standard. It puts more weight on all activity, that is the more receptions a player has the more active in that game he was. Say you got Marvin Harrison puting in work, getting 10 receptions for 100 yards and a TD. Then you got Randy Moss taking down 4 receptions for 100 yards and a TD. Marvin put in more work, and I think he should get more points for being more active.

I play in 4 competitive leagues per year, 3 of which are PPR, for this reason. I know plenty of people who swear by the PPR format, and avoid standard play. To them, this list isn't that valuable. And it's not like PPR leagues are some rare out of the box system. PPR leagues are pretty popular.
                sigpic

Comment

• Tailback U
                  No substitute 4 strength.
                  • Nov 2008

By that logic, would you be a fan of Points Per Carry for running backs? Since more carries = more works.

More catches does not automatically equate to better production.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't play some form of PPR. When I draft a player, I want his total production, everything he does should count.

It's fantasy football, it's not some geeky and contrived footballoutsiders-esque stat computation. Everything else being equal, the player who catches 10 balls should score better than the guy who catches 4.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U
                      By that logic, would you be a fan of Points Per Carry for running backs? Since more carries = more works.

More catches does not automatically equate to better production.
                      I've played in a league for the 10 years or so that gives one point for every ten carries. It's a little goofy, it never really affects lineup decisions, but I like it.

Comment

• Len B
                        :moonwalk:
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't play some form of PPR. When I draft a player, I want his total production, everything he does should count.

It's fantasy football, it's not some geeky and contrived footballoutsiders-esque stat computation. Everything else being equal, the player who catches 10 balls should score better than the guy who catches 4.
                        Who's to say 10 catches for 84 yards is better than 4 catches for 90 yards and a 50 yard TD, though?

Fantasy is all about offensive production, and if a guy can beat over the top coverage for a 50 yard TD that's more impressive than moving the chain 3 times for a field goal.

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
                          Laughs Unlimited
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Len B
                          Who's to say 10 catches for 84 yards is better than 4 catches for 90 yards and a 50 yard TD, though?
                          If you're playing in a fractional tally league, the 90 > 84. I would be .3 points better than 84 yards in fact. In a non-fractional league, you lose anything over/under 20 yards. So anything from 80 to 99 yards = 4 points...unless you're in a PPR league, then 10+(84/20)=14.2 > 4+(90/20)=8.5 Enough with the geek crap.

Fantasy is all about offensive production, and if a guy can beat over the top coverage for a 50 yard TD that's more impressive than moving the chain 3 times for a field goal.
                          Why does the guy who had 4 catches have to score a TD, but the guy who had 10 catches only has 3 first downs and a FG? It doesn't always work like that.

Let me just say it like this, the two best WR's this year were Brandon Lloyd [77 rec, 1,448 yds, 11 tds] and Roddy White [115 rec, 1,389 yds, 10 tds] Which receiver do you think is better? Hands down Roddy White, and a PPR league would have rewarded Roddy for his efforts.

The best reason to use PPR is that typically, not always but typically, you'll have a guy who's out there working every play to get catches (ie: Wes Welker type) and on the other side of the coin you'll have a guy who's being lazy 50% of the time and only puting an effort on deep patterns.

Also, I like the idea of rewarding a guy who's not the biggest, fastest, best WR out there, but he's puting in work, running routes, getting open a lot, and making a lot of catches with extra effort. I also like the idea that for every one of these 'high catch' players, there are ten more guys with the same skill set that can't get open, can't pull down 7 catches per game. So I like to see players have 100 catch seasons, and I think they should be rewarded a little extra something for it.

BTW, the PPR leagues I'm in give .5 pts per catch, so this really only ads up to 57.5 extra points for Roddy White, and 38.5 for Lloyd. Not that big of a deal, but it IMO just highlights the extra work one WR has over another.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

I shied away from PPR initially because I thought it rewarded RBs for catching dump-offs, and regardless of what "experts" say, a RB catching dump-offs is really just a product of the offensive system. I think PPR would make RBs much too valuable if they also get points for pass receptions.

Let me just say it like this, the two best WR's this year were Brandon Lloyd [77 rec, 1,448 yds, 11 tds] and Roddy White [115 rec, 1,389 yds, 10 tds] Which receiver do you think is better? Hands down Roddy White, and a PPR league would have rewarded Roddy for his efforts.
                            Looking at the stats, Lloyd is easily better. Its not even close. Lloyd has more yards and more TDs and needed fewer receptions. Which is more valuable...a RB who gains 1000 yards on 200 carries, or a RB who gains 1000 yards on 325 carries?

Comment

• jms493
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                              I shied away from PPR initially because I thought it rewarded RBs for catching dump-offs, and regardless of what "experts" say, a RB catching dump-offs is really just a product of the offensive system. I think PPR would make RBs much too valuable if they also get points for pass receptions.
                              But if A QB throws a screen pass to a HB/WR and he takes it 50 yards for a TD the QB gets credit for a 50 yds and TD. Sort of the same difference.

I like PPR leagues....more value for WRs.

Comment

• Senser81
                                VSN Poster of the Year
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jms493
                                But if A QB throws a screen pass to a HB/WR and he takes it 50 yards for a TD the QB gets credit for a 50 yds and TD. Sort of the same difference.
                                No, its not. The "same difference" would be giving QBs points for completions, thus equating a 1-yard hitch with a 99-yard TD.

Comment

Working...