Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jms493
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    You are looking at this from a NY perspective. NY is a pro town, always has been, always will. And its also a baseball first town. Nobody will ever care about CFB in NY. Even the Knicks and St Johns when they are good are neck and neck with the NFL. Its not a big football city in comparison to others. Most Giants/Jets season ticket holders are from Jersey and Connecticut. Its Yankees/Mets first all year long.

When I first moved away from Jersey, I was shocked at the sports culture change. Baseball gets no play here. None. At all. CFB is number one. They talk it year round, 24/7. Recruiting, spring games, shit puts me to sleep. But they eat it up. NFL is an afterthought. NBA doesn't exist. College hoops is #2 to CFB. Its 'different' in the south.

CFB owns rural america. Its NY/Chicago/big cities that are pro towns and likely always will be.
    Well yeah that is a major hurdle for NCAA football. If the biggest markets in the world don't embrace it....well.

Comment

• Sharkweather
      • Jul 2009

CFB is number one. They talk it year round, 24/7. Recruiting, spring games, shit puts me to sleep. But they eat it up. NFL is an afterthought. NBA doesn't exist. College hoops is #2 to CFB. Its 'different' in the south.
      Sounds like heaven to me.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Based Pand
        College hoops has just as many / more meaningless games than College football despite having a playoff system. You could easily tune in when conference championship week comes around and not miss anything.
        A casual fan can tune in for the postseason of any sport and not really miss anything.

And I disagree strongly that college hoops has just as many meaningless games. 3-2 Purdue vs. 3-2 Iowa means absolutely nothing in CFB. Completely meaningless. 10-6 Purdue vs 10-6 Iowa has meaning in hoops. Every hoops game has varying degrees of meaning. Big nuetral site wins in November can make or break you. Teams fighting to stay off the bubble. To teams playing for #1 seed. There are no throw away games. Every team starts the season with the opportunity to win the championship.

Half the teams (or more) in CFB play an entire season of exhibitions. There are like 60 teams that can go undefeated and it means nothing. Even for the BCS teams, CFB is dimishing returns. Less and less of the games hold meaning as the season progresses. By the last few weeks, you have like 2 or 3 games that matter for anything. And the postseason has ONE.

CFB, has by far, the largest percentage of meaningless games of any sport. By adding even a small playoff, you increase the percentage of menaingful games probably ten fold, by not shunning 60 teams before they even kick off, and keeping all others alive deeper into the season.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jms493
          Well yeah that is a major hurdle for NCAA football. If the biggest markets in the world don't embrace it....well.
          The only hurdle is the shitty postseason. Its already the #2 sport.

Do you know why NY pays attention to the Nation Championship and nothing else? It means something.

NY goes apeshit for the Big East tournament and March Madness.

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

You are looking at this from a NY perspective. NY is a pro town, always has been, always will. And its also a baseball first town. Nobody will ever care about CFB in NY. Even the Knicks and St Johns when they are good are neck and neck with the NFL. Its not a big football city in comparison to others. Most Giants/Jets season ticket holders are from Jersey and Connecticut. Its Yankees/Mets first all year long.
            Accurate assessment. I made the mistake of moving up here the day of the national championship game two years ago (Alabama v. Texas). I knew my tv would be shot so I'd have to find it in a sports bar. Little did I know how hard that would be. I finally found a bar in this yuppy neighborhood in Brooklyn that had flat screen TVs, and there's a fucking Knicks-Raptors game on both screens. And this is when the Knicks were terrible too. I had to ask the guy to find the national championship game. Ludicrous.

Comment

• jms493
              • Feb 2009

The only hurdle is the shitty postseason. Its already the #2 sport.

Do you know why NY pays attention to the Nation Championship and nothing else? It means something.

NY goes apeshit for the Big East tournament and March Madness.
              agreed a playoff system would be amazing but the NCAA doesn't seem to have any plans to change the current system.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                Highwayman
                • Feb 2009

When I first moved away from Jersey, I was shocked at the sports culture change. Baseball gets no play here. None. At all. CFB is number one. They talk it year round, 24/7. Recruiting, spring games, shit puts me to sleep. But they eat it up. NFL is an afterthought. NBA doesn't exist. College hoops is #2 to CFB. Its 'different' in the south.

CFB owns rural america. Its NY/Chicago/big cities that are pro towns and likely always will be.
                In Miami, its Dolphins first, distant second Canes and now the Heat (and only because they are a traveling All-Star Game)...then everything else. I'm a big hockey fan...Panthers get no love. Marlins are what takes place between the end of the NBA Finals and the start of training camp.

Miami is a bit different though, everyone is fairweather...and unlike small college towns, the entire South Florida (WPB, Broward, and Dade) accept the University of Miami as their own, but the Dolphins, at the end of the day, are the premier story, even when nothing is happening with them.

Comment

• mgoblue2290
                  Posts too much
                  • Feb 2009

I've slowly lost interest in the NFL as a whole. I still follow the Lions pretty closely but I don't watch other teams as much unless the match up is a really good one.

Like some others have posted I really don't care who gets what between owners and players. Both make way too much money anyways and they have forgotten that it is the fans who make this even possible.

Also, college football with a playoff system would definitely trump the NFL.

Comment

• strahanfan92
                    Meat
                    • Aug 2009

^I feel the opposite. I cannot not watch an NFL game that is live unless its like a meaningless Thursday nighter towards the end of the season.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                      Throbbing Tebowner
                      • Oct 2008

My life revolves around this lockout. All of you can fuck off.
                      So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
                        Laughs Unlimited
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
                        My life revolves around this lockout. All of you can fuck off.
                        My life revolves around fucking off.........so
                        sigpic

Comment

• Fappin Raptor
                          I literally know nothing.
                          • Jul 2009

Nope, football is probably my fourth favorite sport to watch. Even if there isn't a season I still have the NHL and the EPL to watch in the fall/winter.

Comment

• Shayn•Da•Pain
                            Laughs Unlimited
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Fappin Raptor
                            Nope, football is probably my fourth favorite sport to watch. Even if there isn't a season I still have the NHL and the EPL to watch in the fall/winter.
                            You shut your whore mouth!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...