• Trmszczykowski
    The Mountain recast
    • Nov 2010

Carolina Panther's Defensive grades.

Carolina Panther's 2011 Projected starting defense: Grades
    Idea from Senser, and Blick
    Projected Depth Chart, and Stats from YahooSports

Left Defensive End: Charles Johnson: B
    The only real passrush we had all season. Drafted in the third round of 2007, Johnson is living up to the expectations put in place for him. Would like to see him put more pressure on the quarterback.

Left Defensive Tackle: Terrel McClain: D+
    The Carolina Panthers drafted McClain in the third round of this years draft, hoping to solidify the middle of the line. McClain was sought after for his quickness and lower body strength. His pass rushing ability is there, how well he will help against the run remains to be seen.

Right Defensive Tackle: Ed Johnson: D-
    Really doesn't have anything going for him other than the fact he takes up blockers. I will be surprised if newly drafted Sione Fua doesn't take his spot.

Right Defensive End: Everette Brown: C-
    Its still unclear if Brown will be starting this season, as he posted similar numbers as Greg Hardy, and Tyler Brayton. This position is up for grabs, and as of now I don't feel strongly about any of them.

Weakside Linebacker: James Anderson: B+
    Anderson seemly came out of nowhere posting 130 tackles, in 2010. I would like to seem him make improvements in Coverage. That said I am completely confident in to have a pro bowl caliber season in 2011.

Middle Linebacker: Jon Beason: A
    Beason is the shining light of this organization, A Panther's fan can only dream he plays his entire career in Carolina. In his first 4 seasons Beason has collected a total of 540 tackles. This "Poor Man's Patrick Willis" is still an exceptionally talented linebacker.

Strongside Linebacker: Jamar Williams: D-
    Jamar Williams played 3 games in 2010 and picked up 2 tackles. As of now the starter of this position is unknown. With no news on the status of the Ideal starter Thomas Davis(B), this position battle will be between Williams, Lawrence Wilson, and potentially Jordan Senn. I doubt we will transition Dan Connor(C+) to play outside.

Left Cornerback: Chris Gamble: C+
    Gamble is not as good as he used to be, and even though he was benched during the 2010 Seaon. He is not that bad of a corner. He has always been fundamentally sound, going for the safe play.

Strong Safety: Charles Godfrey: B-
    Godfrey started the season strong racking up 4 Interceptions in his first 5 games. For the remaining games he only picked off 1 interception. Gave up quite a few plays while playing Man, and isn't a great tackler.

Free Safety: Sherrod Martin: B
    Like Godfrey, Martin also had 85 tackles on the year. His performance increased substantially from the 2009 Season, I can only hope he continues his upward trend. Did a great job covering deep.

Right Cornerback: Captain Munnerlyn: B
    Munnerlyn had a solid season last yeah, leading the team in Passes Defended with 10, and under Godfrey in Interceptions with 3. A bit undersized at 5'8 but holds his weight.

Overall Defense Grade:B
    Carolina's Defense was really not as bad, as the record suggested. I think a case could be made that the numbers were inflated due to how bad the offense was.
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Coming out of OSU I thought Chris Gamble was going to be star.....oh well.

Comment

• Saluki
      Ball So Hard
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
      Coming out of OSU I thought Chris Gamble was going to be star.....oh well.
      Maybe they should try him on offense Worked for OSU

Comment

• Blick
        The Judge
        • Mar 2009

Jon Beason should just change his name to Jon Beaston, because that's what I think of every time I see it.

"Da U" really knows how to pump out those LB's.

Comment

• OnlyOneBeerLeft
          Fuck em
          • Oct 2008

Greg Hardy needs the start he played very good in short time last season... Don't be surprised if the Panthers go after a DT and either a corner or try and keep Davis at LB. He lost a lot of negotiating leverage with the injuries

Comment

Working...