• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

Patriots: Projected Starting 2011 Defence

DE - Ty Warren - B
    Missed 2010 with an injured hip. Plans on being the comeback player of the year and from all accounts has busted his ass this offseason.

DT - Vince Wilfork - A-
    Anchor of the front 7 for the Patriots. Another Pro Bowl year coming up.

DE - Jermaine Cunningham - B
    One of the many rookie defenders the Patriots brought in last year, expected to play DE this year. If Warren is going as expected, he should get a handful of sacks.

OLB - Gary Guyton - C+
    Nothing special, just a solid all around tackler.

MLB - Jerod Mayo - A
    One of the best young MLB in the game.

MLB - Brandon Spikes - B
    Another of the rookie defenders to make the starting lineup until he was suspended in Week 14. Should build on his quality rookie year playing along side Mayo in the middle.

OLB - Rob Ninkovich - B-
    Had a career year in 2010 making a handful of big plays. I'm not sold that it wasn't just a matter of good fortune, but he'll have the opportunity to prove it.

CB - Devin McCourty - A-
    Best rookie in the AFC in 2010 and was probably the biggest reason why the Patriots elevated their Pass Defence from poor in 2009 to decent in 2010.

SS - Patrick Chung - B
    Has the tools to become what Rodney Harrison was for NE during their Super Bowl runs. I'd give him a + but he fucked up vs the Jets in the playoffs.

FS - Brandon Meriweather - B-
    He's overrated in my opinion, or so I get the feeling people believe him to be amongst the best FS in the league but he isn't. Not that he isn't a good player though. Hoping his off field legal issues get dealt with.

CB - Leigh Bodden - C+
    Hoping to bounce back after missing 2010 but he's a bit above average at best as a player. His decent year in 2009 was really driven by his 3 INT game vs New York. I hope for Butler or Arrington to get time and develop as starting CB's this year.
  • Aso
    The Serious House
    • Nov 2008

You do know Jermaine Cunningham is an OLB in their base defense right?

Comment

• Len B
      :moonwalk:
      • Oct 2008

Don't agree with these as much...

DE - Ty Warren B-/C+ until he shows otherwise
      DT - Wilfork A - as good as they come
      DE - I don't even think Cunningham will start here. Look for a darkhorse and Cunningham to play OLB. Give this position a C
      OLB - Guyton/Cunningham - C, nothing special
      MLB - Mayo A
      MLB - Spikes B-
      OLB - Ninkovich C+ - Fans are quick to label him Vrabel, but he hasn't shown any consistency
      CB - McCourty A, a guy who makes pro bowl first year as a lock down corner is destined for great things
      CB - Bodden - C+, he'll get worked and get replaced by mid season
      FS - Brandon Meriweather - C, awful player. Gets out of position way too much and relies on illegal hits
      SS - Chung - B, showed he has what it takes to be a starting safety

Comment

• Aso
        The Serious House
        • Nov 2008

Brandon Deaderick started quite a bit at end last year as well as Gerard Warren (not sure if he's under contract still). Then I believe they also picked up Marcus Stroud to try out at end. Also doesn't Guyton plays inside unless they are trying for a 4-3 alignment?

Comment

• Len B
          :moonwalk:
          • Oct 2008

Guyton is outside now. Was inside two years ago.

Comment

• Scikotic
            Straight out the Asylum
            • Apr 2011

I think these were awfully generous grades for a defense even Belichick couldn't fix.

Comment

• Aso
              The Serious House
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Scikotic
              I think these were awfully generous grades for a defense even Belichick couldn't fix.
              I think pretty much all but Senser's originally thread has been pretty generous tbh.

Comment

• Colonel Angus
                No longer a noob
                • Jan 2010

I would've expected a prominent poster like killgod would at least be able to spell "offense" and "defense". Come on bro.

Comment

• Aso
                  The Serious House
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Colonel Angus
                  I would've expected a prominent poster like killgod would at least be able to spell "offense" and "defense". Come on bro.
                  I think thats a Canada thing.

Comment

• Scikotic
                    Straight out the Asylum
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
                    I think pretty much all but Senser's originally thread has been pretty generous tbh.
                    I read that thread. Senser shit all over his Bears in a bad way. It was brutal...

Comment

• Aso
                      The Serious House
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Scikotic
                      I read that thread. Senser shit all over his Bears in a bad way. It was brutal...
                      Yeah I hear that but now all these threads are just a ton of B's with an A and C is thrown in here and there. At least with his grades you could actually sort of see where the weaknesses and strengths lie. On these other threads you wouldn't know.

Comment

• celtsxpatsxsox
                        Redsox
                        • Oct 2008

Brandon Deaderick started quite a bit at end last year as well as Gerard Warren (not sure if he's under contract still). Then I believe they also picked up Marcus Stroud to try out at end. Also doesn't Guyton plays inside unless they are trying for a 4-3 alignment?
                        Yeah Gerard Warren is a free agent. Not sure if they plan on bringing him back but my guess would be no since they don't have many open roster spots and have other guys who could start. (Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Love, Wright, Pryor). As for Guyton he is pretty much a "nickel" LB.

Comment

• Aso
                          The Serious House
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by celtsxpatsxsox
                          Yeah Gerard Warren is a free agent. Not sure if they plan on bringing him back but my guess would be no since they don't have many open roster spots and have other guys who could start. (Stroud, Brace, Deaderick, Love, Wright, Pryor). As for Guyton he is pretty much a "nickel" LB.
                          Thats pretty much what I thought.

Btw Mike Wright is a beast and underrated.

Comment

• Scikotic
                            Straight out the Asylum
                            • Apr 2011

Yeah I hear that but now all these threads are just a ton of B's with an A and C is thrown in here and there. At least with his grades you could actually sort of see where the weaknesses and strengths lie. On these other threads you wouldn't know.
                            Yea, but it was over the top. It looks like a C- average team for a team that made it to the NFCCG. I'd have to disagree with that, even if it was meant display their weaknesses...

Comment

• Blick
                              The Judge
                              • Mar 2009

I gave the Chiefs 6 C's and only 3 A's.

Thought my grades were good.

Comment

Working...