X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Packers-Saints observations

*Rodgers looked in synch with his WRs and TEs. He found Finley often early in the game, and Jennings, Cobb, and Nelson had good games. Although it was the Saints, I thought GB's O-line looked much better than last year's version. TJ Lang appears to be much better than Daryn Colledge at LG.

*Darren Sproles was a huge factor for the Saints. His big returns and receptions kept the Saints in the game and gave Brees a short field.

*The Packers defense appeared to play well, Burnett, Wynn, and Walden especially, but they didn't have much of an answer for Drew Brees. Even when Brees had pressure on him, he made pinpoint throws. The only time I noticed Charles Woodson was when he threw a punch and when Colston repeatedly burned him at the end of the game.

*As always, I did not like Sean Payton's RB rotation. Pierre Thomas is easily their best option, yet he only saw the field 1/3 of the time. Ingram did very little, and he took PT away from Sproles, too, who was the Saints best player last night besides Brees.

*Olin Kreutz was terrible for Saints. Ingram couldn't even get going for their inside run game because Raji was getting a push back into the backfield. Kreutz's pass protection was equally horrendous. Whenever the Packers twisted their ILBs on a passing down blitz, instead of standing his ground and clogging the middle, Kreutz would misdiagnose the play and immediately dive away to help one of his guards. This led to one and sometimes both ILBs getting a free run at Brees. This makes Brees' performance that much more impressive, because many times he was throwing the ball before 3 seconds.

*I did not like the prevent D the Packers employed in the latter part of the 4th quarter, but I guess it paid off. Payton's play call at the very end was questionable, although it should be noted that the Saints did run a pass play earlier in the game on 4th and short without success. I didn't like a player who had been ineffective (Ingram) getting the ball, and running behind the worst player on the field (Kreutz) for the final play. At the end of the play, Kreutz is pushed back so far he is at the 5-yard line, and Ingram has to stop and change course to the right because of the Packers' inside push.
  • Tailback U
    No substitute 4 strength.
    • Nov 2008

* Jordy Nelson reminds me a little bit of Miles Austin with his size and the way he moves.

* James Starks probably fucked up a play single handedly 4 or 5 times last night. He went to the wrong hole on a playaction twice, he also played a fake instead of picking up a blitz that lead to a sack. I think he is a better runner than Grant but he made way too many mental mistakes last night and the announcers only mentioned it once (on the sack).

*Already mentioned but I thought Payton used the HB's pretty poorly. I only remember the Saints running one or maybe two screens, one was to Pierre Thomas, and none to Sproles.

*The announcers said it last night, but Aaron Rodgers, and even Drew Brees for that matter, do things that guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers simply can't do because of their athleticism.

*Randall Cobb. Who the hell is this guy? He needs more PT, but I don't know who he could replace in that passing game.

*The Saints front looked pretty weak to me even with the additions of Shawn Rodgers and I forget who else they added. And why was Patrick Robinson on Greg Jennings so often?

Comment

• Senser81
      VSN Poster of the Year
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U
      * Jordy Nelson reminds me a little bit of Miles Austin with his size and the way he moves.

* James Starks probably fucked up a play single handedly 4 or 5 times last night. He went to the wrong hole on a playaction twice, he also played a fake instead of picking up a blitz that lead to a sack. I think he is a better runner than Grant but he made way too many mental mistakes last night and the announcers only mentioned it once (on the sack).

*Already mentioned but I thought Payton used the HB's pretty poorly. I only remember the Saints running one or maybe two screens, one was to Pierre Thomas, and none to Sproles.

*The announcers said it last night, but Aaron Rodgers, and even Drew Brees for that matter, do things that guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers simply can't do because of their athleticism.

*Randall Cobb. Who the hell is this guy? He needs more PT, but I don't know who he could replace in that passing game.

*The Saints front looked pretty weak to me even with the additions of Shawn Rodgers and I forget who else they added. And why was Patrick Robinson on Greg Jennings so often?
      No, thats not how it works. You can't post your own observations in this thread. You can only comment/agree on my observations.

Comment

• Herm
        Boomshakalaka
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Tailback U

i was hoping James Jones would sign elsewhere so he'd get his chance to shine, but he might have to wait for his time at WR.

Comment

• MvP
          a member of vsn
          • Oct 2008

*Jarrett Bush has a terrible knack for being involved in big plays. I wish this would stop.

*The Starks/Grant combo looks to be pretty successful. Starks kept missing big holes but he was still able to run for a solid amount of yards. Loved the hustle on that TD run.

*James Jones was a ghost the entire game. I wonder if this will continue throughout the season with Cobb emerging as a threat or if it was just a fluke.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

- Aaron Rodgers is really good. So is Drew Brees. The result? A good game.
            - Thomas and Sproles should get 90% of the work at running back with Ingram only coming in, in the red zone. Sproles does for them what they wish Reggie Bush would have done for them, and came cheaper, lulz.
            - IMO, these are the two best, most complete offenses in football.

Comment

• Senser81
              VSN Poster of the Year
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MvP
              *James Jones was a ghost the entire game. I wonder if this will continue throughout the season with Cobb emerging as a threat or if it was just a fluke.
              I think that if Cobb ends up having just decent hands, it will be a major improvement of James "Featherstone" Jones, so I think Jones could end up being out of the picture as the season goes on.

Comment

• Saluki
                Ball So Hard
                • Oct 2008

Yeah it was retarded how little the saints used peirre thomas when he was clearly the best option they had for running the ball last night. The saints front 7 looked fucking horrible, i felt like i was watching a HS game with that shitty tackling they had.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                  2011 Poster Of The Year
                  • Mar 2009

On one hand, you want your best player making a play with the game on the line. On the other hand, if you can't power the ball in from the 1 you probably don't deserve to win. So I'm not sure where I stand on the final play. Its a situation where if they pass and fail, people are still critical, so Payton really couldn't win no matter what unless they score.

Shouldn't have even come to that, because the PI on Hawk was a joke.

Comment

• Saluki
                    Ball So Hard
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                    I think that if Cobb ends up having just decent hands, it will be a major improvement of James "Featherstone" Jones, so I think Jones could end up being out of the picture as the season goes on.
                    I feel like people are going to jump on the Cobb bandwagon and be disappointed. He'll be less of a factor on KRs than he might have been in previous years, and he's going to be the 5th WR on offense they way they've been using Finley. I don't think we'll hear his name called much except for an exciting special teams play here or there.

Comment

• killgod
                      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Saluki
                      Yeah it was retarded how little the saints used peirre thomas when he was clearly the best option they had for running the ball last night. The saints front 7 looked fucking horrible, i felt like i was watching a HS game with that shitty tackling they had.
                      While Thomas still showed he's the best back they have, I was impressed with Ingram's ability to run hard, his vision needs work. The goalline stand should have been six because the entire GB defence stuffed the middle, a cut outside to the right and he was in untouched.

If the Saints can shore up it's front 7 then they are going to compete for the NFC crown. Brees was fantastic last night and their offence showed some of that 2009 form. Considering how talented the Green Bay D is, their offensive showing was really impressive.

Comment

• Saluki
                        Ball So Hard
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by killgod
                        While Thomas still showed he's the best back they have, I was impressed with Ingram's ability to run hard, his vision needs work. The goalline stand should have been six because the entire GB defence stuffed the middle, a cut outside to the right and he was in untouched.

If the Saints can shore up it's front 7 then they are going to compete for the NFC crown. Brees was fantastic last night and their offence showed some of that 2009 form. Considering how talented the Green Bay D is, their offensive showing was really impressive.
                        Yeah ingram had a few runs where he could have gotten more yards, but instead of finding space he was seeking out a defender to try to run over. More often than not just barreling himself into the ground. It's pretty correctable tho.

Comment

• ralaw
                          Posts too much
                          • Feb 2009

-As mentioned I was wondering if James Jones even played. If Cobb takes over his spot it makes me wonder why he didn't just go to Chicago. Who is Crabtree? That team has so many options its crazy.

-Aaron Rodgers' potential is crazy. How old is he?

-Drew Brees is a monster too.

-It appears trading Bush was a smart idea, because Sproles does everything people said Bush does for this offense, but does it better.

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                            As mentioned I was wondering if James Jones even played. If Cobb takes over his spot it makes me wonder why he didn't just go to Chicago. Who is Crabtree? That team has so many options its crazy.

Comment

• ralaw
                              Posts too much
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
                              ..black crabtree........
                              If he was in GB he'd probably be mentioned among the best in the league.

Comment

Working...