Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidLarry2GhostWF
    Highwayman
    • Feb 2009

It amazes me how great QBs not only make skill position players better, but make average to good offensive lines look great in the passing game.

Comment

• Tailback U
      No substitute 4 strength.
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      It amazes me how great QBs not only make skill position players better, but make average to good offensive lines look great in the passing game.
      Great point. Rodgers turns 3 or 4 sacks a game into small gains or huge plays. Manning or Brady would just lay down for a 5 yard loss in that case, whereas Rodgers can turn it into a 2 yard gain or a first down.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        Highwayman
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U
        Great point. Rodgers turns 3 or 4 sacks a game into small gains or huge plays. Manning or Brady would just lay down for a 5 yard loss in that case, whereas Rodgers can turn it into a 2 yard gain or a first down.
        This is where you are wrong sir...while Rodgers will turn a potential sack into something, Brady and Manning do it a little different way. Manning has such a mastery of the pocket and how to manipulate it with the slightest movements and body positioning, he'll never get his jersey dirty. What Manning does is next level shit that has never been seen in the NFL on that level. Why else do you think Indy basically can input any bum lineman into their lineup and when Manning is in there, he'll rarely be touched. Brady is similar, albeit, with a better line in front of him and not quite at the level of Manning in regards to manipulating the pocket. Brady reads the field at a high level and the offense he is in is friendly for him to get the ball out of his hands ASAP.

Comment

• Wrath
          Football IQ is High
          • Feb 2009

Both these teams look better then my Eagles TBH; however, I think the Eagles match up better defensively with the Packers then the Saints do. We just have better players to cover those wideouts and Finely.

Overall I was just happy to see some football. The lockout drove me crazy and I was REALLY worried we wouldn't have football.

Comment

• killgod
            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
            • Oct 2008

Truth.

Exactly when Collinsworth started talking about it in the game last night he was spot on with that point.

Comment

• Saluki
              Ball So Hard
              • Oct 2008

Manning and Brady tend to get the ball out alot quicker than Rodgers, so they still wouldn't take those same sacks alot of the time. Players like Rodgers, and even Big Ben can afford to hold onto the ball longer because they can extend the play with their legs.

Comment

• dave
                Go the fuck outside
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Wrath
                Both these teams look better then my Eagles TBH; however, I think the Eagles match up better defensively with the Packers then the Saints do. We just have better players to cover those wideouts and Finely.

Overall I was just happy to see some football. The lockout drove me crazy and I was REALLY worried we wouldn't have football.
                The Eagles might be a better D matchup than New Orleans, but Rodgers is gonna ass-rape our LBs and safeties.
                My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• NAHSTE
                  Probably owns the site
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                  Truth.

Exactly when Collinsworth started talking about it in the game last night he was spot on with that point.
                  As Larry said, this is false. Brady and Manning know how to manipulate the pocket with subtle movement. Both can (and have) made that exact play before, obviously without the same graceful athleticism but that doesn't mean they're just sitting ducks back there.

Comment

• Blick
                    The Judge
                    • Mar 2009

It was beautiful to watch those two quarterbacks orchestrate those offenses. It makes me hate Matt Cassel even more knowing that he can never move the chains that easily.

Watching Jordy Nelson and Sproles make plays had me going

I didn't really question the Saints' play call at the end. You just have to execute. Green Bay's D-line did an excellent job of playing "low man wins" football and getting under New Orleans' offensive line to disrupt that play. On the other hand, Brees was in a rhythm on that drive with the offense spread out, so it might have been a good call to keep that offense on the field and try to pass.

Comment

• killgod
                      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                      As Larry said, this is false. Brady and Manning know how to manipulate the pocket with subtle movement. Both can (and have) made that exact play before, obviously without the same graceful athleticism but that doesn't mean they're just sitting ducks back there.
                      I'm not saying they are sitting ducks, but once someone gets a paw on Brady he just falls down like an Italian soccer player. I've seen it many times, last year was the probably the most I've seen Brady do that.

However, their overall pocket presence and quick decisions with the football rarely ever allow for players to get their hands on them in comparison to Rodgers.

Comment

• nflman2033
                        George Brett of VSN
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        On one hand, you want your best player making a play with the game on the line. On the other hand, if you can't power the ball in from the 1 you probably don't deserve to win. So I'm not sure where I stand on the final play. Its a situation where if they pass and fail, people are still critical, so Payton really couldn't win no matter what unless they score.

Shouldn't have even come to that, because the PI on Hawk was a joke.
                        Yeah bad call, I think the ref has been do much basketball throwing a flag for over the back. Hawk got all ball before his body made contact, truly the low point of an otherwise exciting game.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
                          Yeah bad call, I think the ref has been do much basketball throwing a flag for over the back. Hawk got all ball before his body made contact, truly the low point of an otherwise exciting game.
                          Then he's getting that sport wrong too as "over the back" isn't a foul in basketball.

Comment

• nflman2033
                            George Brett of VSN
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                            Then he's getting that sport wrong too as "over the back" isn't a foul in basketball.
                            It was when i played, 25 years ago

Comment

• FirstTimer
                              Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by nflman2033
                              It was when i played, 25 years ago
                              Was it? I didn't even realize it ever was. I just enjoyed laughing at parents and coaches screaming at me to call "over the back" in games I was officiating, then having to tell them it doesn't exist as a foul.

Comment

• nflman2033
                                George Brett of VSN
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                                Was it? I didn't even realize it ever was. I just enjoyed laughing at parents and coaches screaming at me to call "over the back" in games I was officiating, then having to tell them it doesn't exist as a foul.
                                well, my name is not NBAman2033 so how would i know.

It is announcer-speak for when a player reaches over another player from behind, typically in a play for the ball. It is typically cited as a foul, not a violation.Contrary to popular belief, however, it does not in and of itself constitute a foul. To be a foul, it must occur with illegal contact (and not all contact in an over-the-back situation is necessarily illegal). It is often yelled by spectators and coaches alike and, unfortunately, even called by some officials. But there is no foul called over-the-back--and it does not exist as a call available to officials, either.

however all of theses are Q&A threads, which throws the validity of them out the window, don't believe everything you read on the internet as they say, I would tend to defer to those who know a shit load more about the sport than me and say it isn't really a foul.

Comment

Working...