X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obst
    RIP West
    • Oct 2008

Front Runners to Move to LA

Each Friday we will update you on the four NFL teams most likely move to Los Angeles; ranking them in order of the likeliest to call L.A. home within the next few years.

1. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (1-1)

• Last week: San Diego lost to the New England Patriots 35-21 at Gillete Stadium in Foxborough. Despite turning the ball over four times to New England’s zero, the Chargers were only down 28-21 with five minutes left but were unable to stop Tom Brady who threw for 423 yards and three touchdowns. The turning point in the game came in the second quarter when the Chargers failed to convert on a fourth down run from New England’s 1-yard line and then watched the Patriots go down the field on a 99-yard touchdown drive. For the second week in a row Philip Rivers threw two interceptions inside the opponent’s 30-yard line.

• This week: The Chargers play the Kansas City Chiefs Sunday afternoon at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. The Chiefs have lost their first two games by a combined score of 89-10. The lopsided score is likely to get worse this weekend considering the Chargers have outscored Kansas City 74-14 in winning the last two meetings in San Diego.

• L.A. Story: Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani is still pushing for a downtown stadium in San Diego that would be tied to the San Diego Convention Center expansion. Last month we explained why this idea was a long shot at best and with the San Diego City Council budget committee only listening to ideas about a convention expansion sans a stadium this week, Fabiani has to wonder if his idea will ever be anything more than just that. “We’re hoping this idea at least gets debated before people kill it off without any public discussion,” Fabiani told KPBS. “But this is San Diego, so we’ll have to see how it turns out.”

2. ST. LOUIS RAMS (0-2)

• Last week: St. Louis lost to the New York Giants 28-16 on Monday Night Football at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. Rams quarterback Sam Bradford was under pressure all night, culminating in a fumble in the second quarter which was recovered by Giants linebacker Michael Boley and returned for a 65-yard touchdown. New York controlled the game after that and continued to punish Bradford, who was pressured on 14 of his 49 dropbacks and finished with a quarterback rating of 79.2.

• This week: Bradford is expected to see plenty of more pressure this Sunday in St. Louis when the Rams play the Baltimore Ravens. But which Ravens team will show up? Will it be the teams that pummeled the Pittsburgh Steelers in the season opener, 35-7, or the one that lost to the Tennessee Titans last week, 26-13?

• L.A. Story: When Rams owner Stan Kroenke was asked about the Rams stadium situation by the St. Louis Post Dispatch he was noncommittal and “politely declined to discuss the stadium situation.” The Rams can get out of their lease agreement with the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission after the 2014 season if the Edward Jones Dome doesn’t rank amongst the top quarter of stadiums in the NFL. The commission has until Feb. 1 to give the Rams a preliminary proposal for how it plans to give the Dome "top-tier" status.

3. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (0-2)

• Last week: Minnesota lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-20 in the home opener at the Metrodome in Minnesota. The Vikings squandered a 17-0 third quarter lead to Tampa Bay and were outscored 24-3 after halftime. The past two weeks the Vikings have been outscored 41-3 after halftime and blew double-digit third quarter leads in both games.

• This week: Normally a home game against the Detroit Lions is the perfect tonic to a slump but Detroit is 2-0 this season and looking to start the season 3-0 for the first time since 1980. Two years removed from opening 6-0 and winning a second straight division crown, the Vikings, one of seven winless teams in the league, will try not to fall to 0-3 for the first time in nine years.

• L.A. Story: This week Lester Bagley, Vikings vice president of public affairs and stadium development, told us he has been in contact with AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke, who has been providing the Vikings with updates on Farmers Field. The Vikings want to get a new stadium deal in Minnesota before their Metrodome lease runs out after this season but the fate of their stadium proposal in Arden Hills could rest on whether residents in Ramsey County will be able to vote on a proposed sales tax to help fund the Arden Hills stadium. If they are able to vote on it and reject the tax hike as expected, the stadium deal would die. “That’s our plan A,” Bagley said. “We don’t have a plan B.”

4. OAKLAND RAIDERS (1-1)

• Last week: Oakland lost to the Buffalo Bills 38-35 at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park. The Raiders lost a 21-3 lead in the third quarter as the Bills scored three unanswered touchdowns to start the second half and Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick connected with David Nelson for a six-yard touchdown pass on fourth down with 14 seconds left to beat the Raiders.

• This week: The Raiders welcome to the New York Jets to the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum for their home opener this Sunday, looking to bounce back from last week’s second half collapse. If they are to turn things around they will have to shore up a porous defense which has allowed 223 rushing yards and 481 overall yards the last two weeks.

• L.A. Story: Los Angeles Raiders fans missed the final 27 seconds of the Raiders-Bills game due to NFL television rules which have state that Los Angeles as a “secondary market” for the San Diego Chargers “must carry in their entirety all road games of their local team." The NFL, as we reported Thursday, has now decided to soften their stance and will likely show the ending of future close games before switching to a Chargers road game again.
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

I would be fine with the Chargers moving up there, or the Rams going back. The Vikings leaving Minnesota would be a terrible thing for the league though. That's a devoted fanbase and I would hate to see that happen.

Comment

• BigBucs
      Unpretentious
      • May 2009

Jacksonville? They are in the same boat as the Bucs with horrid fan attendance difference being the Bucs have some shit in place where they wont be moving from the city of Tampa for a while.

Comment

• Obst
        RIP West
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BigBucs
        Jacksonville? They are in the same boat as the Bucs with horrid fan attendance difference being the Bucs have some shit in place where they wont be moving from the city of Tampa for a while.
        Jags filled up 93.7 percent of EverBank field last year, Bucs fans filled up 75.1 percent of Ray Jay. Also the Jaguars have a lease that runs through 2029 which is impossible to break and Wayne Weaver isn't looking to sell the team.

Comment

• TheImmortalGoud
          No longer a noob
          • Jan 2011

I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chargers and Rams end up in LA. Chargers are pretty much a lock.

Comment

• SHOGUN
            4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
            • Jul 2009

I'd hate to see the Rams move back west.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• dave
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BigBucs
              I hate the Bucs, but Tampa Bay is a good fanbase. It's not their fault they have the Glazers.

Jacksonville should be moved to L.A. tomorrow. Florida is clearly a two-team NFL state.

Again, I hate Tampa Bay, but you can't blame the region for the Glazers. Jacksonville has never been legitimate from a fan support point of view.
              My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Let's face it, it was a terrible idea to expand to Jacksonville in the first place, but I don't think are leaving any time soon. Pretty sure the league is stuck with them for now.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                  Wakka Wakka
                  • Dec 2008

Raiders to LA yes
                  THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• ram29jackson
                    Noob
                    • Nov 2008

I wouldnt mind the Rams coming back..But I still prefer the idea of an expansion team

Comment

• kmanharris
                      Seven
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dave
                      I hate the Bucs, but Tampa Bay is a good fanbase. It's not their fault they have the Glazers.

Jacksonville should be moved to L.A. tomorrow. Florida is clearly a two-team NFL state.

Again, I hate Tampa Bay, but you can't blame the region for the Glazers. Jacksonville has never been legitimate from a fan support point of view.
                      What? When I was in Florida a few years back I went to the NYG/TB playoff game and the place was 50% NYG fans. By the time the 3rd quarter ended it was 80% NYG fans because all of the TB fans bounced.

TB are some fairweather fans, save for BB and Survivor.

Comment

• Villain
                        [REDACTED]
                        • May 2011

I don't want a single one of those teams. I prefer a brand new franchise or nothing. I'm not just going to suddenly turn into a Chargers or Vikings fan because they're in LA now. If they bring any of those teams I'll just stay a 49ers fan and remain as indifferent to those other teams as I am now.
                        [REDACTED]

Comment

• ram29jackson
                          Noob
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by heelswxman
                          You live in LA?

Edit- Looks like you live in Duarte, CA.

its a Southern Ca city thats close to LA, but very close to Irwindale, where plans were/are tentative for a stadium....but for a major market, this is pathetic.

Comment

• Rayman
                            Spic 'n Spanish
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by kmanharris
                            What? When I was in Florida a few years back I went to the NYG/TB playoff game and the place was 50% NYG fans. By the time the 3rd quarter ended it was 80% NYG fans because all of the TB fans bounced.

TB are some fairweather fans, save for BB and Survivor.
                            Bad example. A lot of NY/NJ transplants down there, not just Miami.

Comment

• stevsta
                              ¿Que?
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by SHOGUN
                              I'd hate to see the Rams move back west.
                              booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                              RIP

Comment

Working...