X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

TCU To the Big 12

TCU's board of trustees is meeting Thursday as part of discussions with the Big 12, according to a source close to the negotiations.

LOL at the Big lEast

TCU athletic officials and the board of trustees spoke Thursday about an invitation to join the Big 12, and the trustees are expected to meet Friday or early next week, according to a source close to the negotiations. Even if TCU does decide to join the conference, the Big 12 might not be done expanding.

The Big 12 voted earlier Thursday to invite TCU into the conference and the school is expected to accept, according to sources. No announcement has been scheduled. TCU chancellor Victor Boschini Jr. issued a statement neither confirming nor denying the school was going to the Big 12.

"These discussions with the Big 12 have huge implications for TCU," the statement said. "It will allow us to return to old rivalries, something our fans and others have been advocating for many years. As always, we must consider what's best for TCU and our student-athletes in this ever-changing landscape of collegiate athletics. We look forward to continuing these discussions with the Big 12."

Big 12 blog
    ESPN.com's David Ubben writes about all things involving the Big 12 in the conference blog.
    More:
    • ESPN.com's SoonerNation
    • ESPN.com's HornsNation
    • Blog network: College Football Nation

The school, which had rivalries with Big 12 schools Texas, Texas Tech and Baylor when they were all members of the Southwest Conference, said it would have no further comment Thursday.

TCU, the defending Rose Bowl champion, agreed earlier this year to leave the Mountain West Conference after this season for the Big East, which has an automatic BCS berth.

The Mountain West has been told that TCU is leaving for the Big 12 as well, pending TCU board of regents approval, according to a MWC spokesperson.

The source told ESPNDallas.com that TCU would have to pay the $5 million exit fee from the Big East but could join the Big 12 in time for the 2012-13 athletic year. A source with knowledge of the Big East's situation said the league is prepared to see TCU leave before it ever plays a game.

The Big East, which would be left with six football programs because Syracuse and Pittsburgh have already announced moves to the ACC, had no comment.

The Big 12 released a statement confirming the invitation and saying that negotiations will begin immediately with TCU. The University of Missouri did not participate in the vote on the advice of legal counsel.

The Big 12 lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12) over the summer and will lose Texas A&M to the SEC next year. Missouri also is exploring options to leave the Big 12.

While Oklahoma president David L. Boren said Thursday that "there could be other additions in the future," sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that the Big 12 will hold at 10 until it knows what Missouri will do.

The next two schools on the Big 12 list for possible expansion are Louisville and West Virginia, but not necessarily both. Louisville is closer geographically but West Virginia's football is a stronger pull. There is still no consensus within the Big 12 if the league will go to 10 or 12 schools long term. A number of sources expect a Missouri-SEC decision in some form within a week, which would then allow for the Big 12 to make its next move.

Big 12 members praised the move to invite TCU. "We're proud that TCU has been invited to join the Big 12," Texas AD DeLoss Dodds said in a statement. "Their commitment to academics and success on the field make them an excellent fit. With a solid budget and strong financial support, they have been proactive at improving facilities. Their close proximity to all conference institutions makes for a comfortable travel situation."

Boren added: "TCU is an excellent choice as a new member of the conference. They bring strong athletics and academic credentials and were enthusiastically and unanimously supported by all of the members of the conference."

According to a Big 12 source, the conference got more "expert information about fit/value/enhancement to our league," late Wednesday. The Big 12 knew of TCU's keen interest.

"There wasn't any reason to wait if we knew it would be the right choice," said the source, which also added that "additional expansion is still possible."

TCU is undergoing renovations to Amon G. Carter Stadium, which will seat close to 50,000 when completed. TCU's ticket office has received calls asking for 2012 season tickets.

A move to the Big 12 would also be a financial windfall for TCU.

Big 12 chancellors and presidents have agreed to equally share revenue from the conference's most lucrative television deals if member schools agree to give those top-tier rights to the league for at least six years. The agreement is subject to approval by university governing boards.

The revenue-sharing plan would give each school about $20 million in June.

Kansas chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little said the school supports both the TCU invitation and the agreement on revenue sharing.

"The Big 12 board's approval of equal revenue sharing and the granting of television rights to the conference demonstrate a commitment to the Big 12 by its member universities. This is an outcome KU has sought throughout this process, and it is one that I've been seeking as a member of the conference's stability working group."
  • Swarley
    A Special Kind of Cat
    • Jul 2010

Good move for the Big 12. Just look at what gets done now since ass hat Dan Beebe isn't running the ship. Can't stand pat though, need to get a couple more invites out there to some decent schools.

Comment

• Chrispy
      Needs a hobby
      • Dec 2008

Knew TCU wouldn't come to the BE after Syracuse and Pitt. Uconn needs to leave for the ACC.

Comment

• Atlas
        BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by cpollack09
        Knew TCU wouldn't come to the BE after Syracuse and Pitt. Uconn needs to leave for the ACC.
        TCU wouldnt have done this unless something happened at the BE meetings a few days ago. All I know is, everyone at the meeting (including TCU) agreed to up the exit fee, except for UConn and WVU. Word out of both programs is they are in legal negotiations with the BE itself, trying to come to a middle ground on an exit fee. WVU has apparently hosted a plethora of SEC officials, as well as UConn doing the same with ACC guys. The writing is on the wall, they both just need to declare independence from the BE before anything else can be done.

Comment

• SHOGUN
          4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
          • Jul 2009

Awesome.

Hooray for geographically sensible conference moves!

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Atlas
            BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
            • Feb 2010

they need to add SMU as well...

Comment

• BrntO4Life
              My Aunt Ida Smokes.
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Atlas
              I think Patterson's comments regarding SMU on Tuesday speak volumes about that happening.

As for this move, hey, they're an upgrade over A&M on the field.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                Probably owns the site
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Atlas
                There will probably be pressure from the government to do this. I would be thrilled if SMU joined too. The old SWC would kind of be back together again.

Comment

• Realist
                  • Mar 2009

I agree. SMU makes sense.

Comment

• Fox1994
                    Posts too much
                    • Dec 2008

Makes geographical sense, and if would be great if they add SMU as well, as far as the Southwest Conference ties. Restoring old rivalries is cool. And if they add WVU or Louisville, the name'll even make sense again.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                      Probably owns the site
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fox1994
                      Makes geographical sense, and if would be great if they add SMU as well, as far as the Southwest Conference ties.

Restoring old rivalries is cool. And if they add WVU or Louisville, the name'll even make sense again

Comment

• ryne candy
                        Aggie C/O '01
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BrntO4Life
                        I think Patterson's comments regarding SMU on Tuesday speak volumes about that happening.

As for this move, hey, they're an upgrade over A&M on the field.
                        lol....TCU isn't the same team. When you talk about Texas FB....you hear about UT (first) and A&M (second). This is a good move by the Big XII but the conference itself has gone down in prestige. They lose Neb and now a major state school from Texas. While I think it's good they got a Texas school, the next school should come from outside...such as BYU.

edit: has the Big XII agreed on sharing the $ to all the schools or was the report premature?

Comment

• Fox1994
                          Posts too much
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                          I'm going to assume you mean I'm incorrect in that TAMU and Mizzou will be gone. I had forgotten about TAMU leaving and was only thinking about Mizzou leaving and thereby saw twelve teams.

Well, in any case, if they get WVU and Louisville, which apparently isn't what they're aiming for, then they'll have twelve teams and the name will make sense again. Or if they pick up BYU or something... My bad. I think you got the point.

Originally posted by heelswxman
                          Jesus fucking Christ kid. Name'll?

Your posts are atrocious.
                          "Name will?" Why do you care?

Comment

• BrntO4Life
                            My Aunt Ida Smokes.
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ryne candy
                            lol....TCU isn't the same team. When you talk about Texas FB....you hear about UT (first) and A&M (second). This is a good move by the Big XII but the conference itself has gone down in prestige. They lose Neb and now a major state school from Texas. While I think it's good they got a Texas school, the next school should come from outside...such as BYU.

edit: has the Big XII agreed on sharing the $ to all the schools or was the report premature?
                            TCU was expected to have a down year. This is A&M's best shot for a while.

And the schools in the B12 agreed to share 1st and 2nd tier rights. Right now, the schools all have to grant a release of those rights and Mizzou is holding it up.

Comment

• PP
                              • Feb 2010

this move has nothing to do with geography and everything to do with money. fuck, tcu is going to pay 5 million to not play a game in the big east lol.

Comment

Working...