And the new Texans 3rd string quarterback is........

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

And the new Texans 3rd string quarterback is........

With Matt Schaub out for the year and Matt Leinart now in the driver's seat of the Houston Texans offense, the team held an audition of veteran quarterbacks to possibly add as insurance.

There were some familiar names on the list, the most notable being long-time veteran Jeff Garcia(notes), who is now 41 years old and last was in the NFL for a one-game stint with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2009. In fact, Garcia's last foray into professional football was a stop last year with the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL.

Garcia had the most impressive resume of the five players who tried out for the Texans. The others were Kellen Clemens(notes), Brodie Croyle(notes), Trent Edwards(notes) and Chase Clement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...qb_cattle_call

I'm actually surprised that Jeff George didn't make it out for that workout. For all you Texans fans, I really hope none of those guys, with the exception of Clemens (maybe) sees the field.
  • Houston
    Back home
    • Oct 2008

With Leinart leading the team does the backup even matter? He's gonna basically have us on cruise control.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

so who did they sign?

Comment

• krulmichael
        STRAAAAANGE MUSIC!
        • Feb 2009

I was really....REALLY hoping that when I came in this thread I'd see :smugrussell:

Twitch Channel
        http://www.twitch.tv/krulmichael20

Season I: 10-6 (NFC North Champions)
        Season II: 9-7 (NFC North Champions)
        Season III: 13-3 (NFC Champions)
        Season IV: 11-5 (NFC North Champions)
        Season V: 2-1

Comment

• ralaw
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

Garcia is still 41? I thought he was 41 in 2008?

Comment

• Goober
            Needs a hobby
            • Feb 2009

Why don't they just sign Jake Plummer? Who gives a shit if he hasn't played football in five years?

Kubiak and Plummer were great together. Plummer is still in great shape, only 36 years old and has been playing competitive handball (lol). If Jake has any desire to play again, this is the perfect situation, six games plus playoffs, a ton of talent on the team, and it's his favorite coach. I for one would be ecstatic to see the Snake playing again.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
              Garcia is still 41? I thought he was 41 in 2008?
              Much like a cuban baseball player...we're not quite sure how old Garcia really is.

Comment

• Diivox
                It's the other way.
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Goblinslayer
                Why don't they just sign Jake Plummer? Who gives a shit if he hasn't played football in five years?

Kubiak and Plummer were great together. Plummer is still in great shape, only 36 years old and has been playing competitive handball (lol). If Jake has any desire to play again, this is the perfect situation, six games plus playoffs, a ton of talent on the team, and it's his favorite coach. I for one would be ecstatic to see the Snake playing again.
                nah, if you read the full interview of the article where he bashes tebow and tells him to stop mentioning christianity so much - which of course prompted tebow to spew even more christianity bullshit - he talks about how Jake doesn't really play too much anymore due to injuries.

Comment

• JMeist
                  • Nov 2008

You heard it here: Leinart is going to be fine and turn some heads. Dude got shafted in zona.

Comment

• Goober
                    Needs a hobby
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Diivox
                    nah, if you read the full interview of the article where he bashes tebow and tells him to stop mentioning christianity so much - which of course prompted tebow to spew even more christianity bullshit - he talks about how Jake doesn't really play too much anymore due to injuries.
                    Posted this before you gave me that link.

Comment

• Houston
                      Back home
                      • Oct 2008

As was pointed out Tuesday, Clemens tried out for the Texans on Monday along with Jeff Garcia, Trent Edwards and Brody Croyle, and they went with a quarterback who, at one point, seemed a potential alternative to Mark Sanchez in New York.

Comment

• Houston
                        Back home
                        • Oct 2008

Apparently it's TJ Yates.

This is gonna be a long season

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

I wouldn't worry about it Houston. I once saw TJ Yates throw for 390 yards against LSU's defense. After having such success against a professional defense, I'm sure a minor league team like the Jaguars will be no problem.

Comment

• LC AAU
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                            I wouldn't worry about it Houston. I once saw TJ Yates throw for 390 yards against LSU's defense. After having such success against a professional defense, I'm sure a minor league team like the Jaguars will be no problem.
                            he was 3-5 without warming up to end the first half
                            sig is too big, resize it

Comment

• Houston
                              Back home
                              • Oct 2008

I thought the game would never end.

Too late to call up Farve? I seriously hope we do some QB shopping this week.

Comment

Working...