X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Caleb Hanie, Mike Martz, Bears loss

I thought the Bears played reasonably well against Oakland. Even with the loss, they are still in good shape. To have a chance at the playoffs, they'll probably need to win 3 of their last 5. I think next week's game is huge, because if they lose to a terrible KC squad, then they can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

Hanie wasn't terrible, but he wasn't very good, either. He didn't get much help from his WRs. The O-line would let the Raiders get in on Hanie, but half the time Hanie was scrambling from non-existent pressure. The big play of the game was the terrible back door screen from the 9-yard line. Bad call, and Kellen Davis fought for that pass about as hard as Johnny Knox would've. Hanie's other INTs were atrocious. Overall, I would give him a "D" grade for the game.

Mike Martz's gameplan was mind-boggling. Raiders have a lightweight defense that can be pounded by the run, yet the Bears were passing most of the time. Both Forte and Barber looked good. For all the talk of how great the Bears coaching staff is, I think they are all overrated except for Lovie. And Lovie is partly to blame for always deferring to Martz's offensive "acumen". Forte had 12 carries, and Hanie threw the ball 36 times.
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Martz having hanie throw the ball that much against Oakland's shitty run defense is baffling.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
      Wakka Wakka
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
      Martz having hanie throw the ball that much against Oakland's shitty run defense is baffling.
      Bears are shitty get ova it

THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• spiker
        Beast mode
        • Apr 2011

I think Martz was getting too cute with his gameplan, trying to "out-coach" the Raiders staff. My guess is that he thought the Raiders were expecting the run and had a gameplan to contain Forte. With that in mind, Martz thought he would trust his inexperienced QB to attack Oakland through the air, thinking he was taking advantage of some element of surprise.

Surprise, surprise. Hanie was bad. This is the boring ass NFL. You don't have to get cute with it. If your rushing attack is better than their rushing defense, and your QB hasn't started one game in the NFL yet, just relentlessly pound the rock. It may sound crazy, but I think you have a much better chance to win by playing to your strengths.

Comment

• biggamejrs
          • Mar 2009

The thing about the raiders run D is stop, stop, boom. Martz wasnt patient enough. We'd stop Forte some, then he start breaking long runs. Then we'd start stopping him, then Martz would start calling passes again.

Anyway, I agree, the Bears can win with Hanie if they stick to the run. That D is great, but we were without our starting WR's and top RB. But the Bears can win behind that D. I wish we had a D like that.

Comment

• NAHSTE
            Probably owns the site
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Senser81

Mike Martz's gameplan was mind-boggling.
            Today, in posts that would be true on MaddenMania or VirtualSportsNetwork or VirtualSportsDaily

Comment

Working...