Is it time to just throw James Harrison out of the league?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obst
    RIP West
    • Oct 2008

EDIT: To all the guys who think it was intentional, what makes you think Harrison would hit a player standing upright helmet to helmet? What's the purpose of that technique when he can clearly crush him otherwise?
    Because he has done shit like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvj1Dgvz_U&feature=related"]James Harrison hit on Josh Cribbs - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• DSpydr84
      I need a sub
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Obst
      Because he has done shit like this:

James Harrison hit on Josh Cribbs - YouTube
      COME ON NOW... really?

Look, I'm not saying ANY of this stuff is allowable, both this and the McCoy hit are clearly penalties. Let's make sure that's perfectly clear: I don't defend a helmet to helmet hit, and it should not be in the game.

But a grown man is trying to bring another grown man to the ground. It's going to happen now and then.

This hit on Cribbs is ridiculous. What do you want him to do? He's chasing down the play, Cribbs cuts it up, he drops his shoulder and tries to knock him down. I get it, his helmet hit Cribbs' helmet. But come on. Should he slide on the ground and take out his feet? Should he stay completely upright and just try to grab him around the shoulders?

I just don't see how either situation could've been avoided. I get that he's been in trouble a lot, and I'm hardly a Steelers fan, but I think it's a little unfair to him too.

Comment

• Tailback U
        No substitute 4 strength.
        • Nov 2008

edit - nevermind I was thinking about a different hit.

Comment

• Houston
          Back home
          • Oct 2008

I expected more from DSpydr84

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by steeljake75
            the hit was clean
            It was a helmet to helmet hit ona QB. The hit was not clean.

i thought you were supposed to be some kind of smart guy here at vsn? they are all players, if you protcect one you got to protect them all.
            Read a rule book you uneducated fuck.

Comment

• Derrville
              Dallas has no coaching...
              • Jul 2009

Im ok with the rules in place but if they're going to enforce these rules as much as they do the officials need to do a better job of recognizing an illegal hit. Too many calls are borderline at best and or the WR and QB just duck right into the hit causing incidental contact to the helmet.

Harrison just seems like a dude who doesnt care about the rules. Hes going to continue to play like this whether the NFL likes it or not. He doesnt care.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by Houstonnino
                I expected more from DSpydr84
                Why?

He's an Alabama fan

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by KnightNoles
                  If he would have gone another yard or two
                  But he hadn't.

So you have no point.

Comment

• DSpydr84
                    I need a sub
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Obst
                    It's really not hard to make a hit like this

Eric Berry huge hit! - YouTube

The difference is Berry gets low and makes the correct play. No coach probably ever told Harrison he was doing the right thing when aiming high. That's what all of these fines and flags were for, to teach Harrison to use the proper technique but he refuses to do so. That's where this argument is coming from, if Harrison is blatantly disregarding the safety of players then he shouldn't be playing. On that player with McCoy it would of been easy for him to just drive right through his body and make a great play, but instead he wanted to lay "the big hit" which was staying up high and even if he didn't mean it, when you stay up high like that you most likely are going to hit with the helmet.
                    It happens pretty fast, but to me, this looks identical to the McCoy/Harrison hit except Harrison was facing McCoy. Yet this is considered a clean hit.

Berry's forehead is directly in line with Amendola's (?) chin. Only difference is Amendola is sideways so Berry hits his shoulder.

I could name a thousand hits that happen exactly this way. Here's the goal line stand from the Browns. Gocong hits Mendenhall directly in the face with his helmet. Is this first and goal from the 1? Should Gocong be fined?

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Again, not saying it's acceptable. But IT HAPPENS.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by DSpydr84
                      It happens pretty fast, but to me, this looks identical to the McCoy/Harrison hit except Harrison was facing McCoy. Yet this is considered a clean hit.

Berry's forehead is directly in line with Amendola's (?) chin. Only difference is Amendola is sideways so Berry hits his shoulder.

I could name a thousand hits that happen exactly this way. Here's the goal line stand from the Browns. Gocong hits Mendenhall directly in the face with his helmet. Is this first and goal from the 1? Should Gocong be fined?

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Then why are you arguing?

Comment

• DSpydr84
                        I need a sub
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Then why are you arguing?
                        Cause I like to argue with you guys. :jamesdean:

In all seriousness, I just think it's unfair to go so far as to remove a guy from the league for something that happens all the time. They're taking measures to remove it, and it's helping, but to say it's eliminated or will ever be eliminated is far-fetched.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Gocong hits Mendenhall directly in the face with his helmet. Is this first and goal from the 1? Should Gocong be fined?

Read a fucking rulebook.

Rule 12. Section 2. Article 8

For the love of God.

Comment

• Houston
                            Back home
                            • Oct 2008

Cause I like to argue with you guys. :jamesdean:

In all seriousness, I just think it's unfair to go so far as to remove a guy from the league for something that happens all the time. They're taking measures to remove it, and it's helping, but to say it's eliminated or will ever be eliminated is far-fetched.
                            Happens all the time?

When's the last time a QB got hit heads on helmet to helmet in the open field?

Comment

• DSpydr84
                              I need a sub
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                              Read a fucking rulebook.

Rule 12. Section 2. Article 8

For the love of God.
                              (f) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures
                              So why wasn't Gocong penalized? Looks like a violent use of the helmet to ram an opponent, which is impermissible against any opponent.

If you penalize one, you penalize them all.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

this. all day every day. the hit was clean and if it was a running back no flag, so fuck off.
                                Helmet to helmet is not legal. Therefore, it was not clean. You sound like a fool.

exactly. gocong's helmet hit mendy's, just like harrison's hit mcoy's. both times the helmet hit the chest and slid up to the other helmet. james didnt lead with it, he lowered his upper body and struck, just like he is supposed to.
                                Maybe you should watch it again, because I have no idea what you think you saw.

Harrison fired himself head first at McCoy, and his helmet made direct contact with McCoy's face. LOL@hitting the chest and sliding upward. Get lost with this shit.

it is pure physics, you cannot stop a 300 pound object on a dime.
                                No, you can't.

But those 300lb objects can stop themselves from leading with the helmet and launching themselves like rockets at the opposing players upper body (I will even give benefit of the doubt and assume Harrison is not a psychopath who wants to maim his opponents in a barbaric manner), which would eliminate most of these scary helmet to helmet shots that scramble brains.

Perhaps you should read up on the studies being done on the human brain and head injuries. Even if Harrison has no intentions of intentionally knocking these players out, his refusal to conform to the rules leads to these ugly hits. For that alone, fuck him, he's a goon and he deserves whatever punishment gets doled out.

Comment

Working...