Is it time to just throw James Harrison out of the league?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSpydr84
    I need a sub
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Houstonnino
    Happens all the time?

When's the last time a QB got hit heads on helmet to helmet in the open field?
    That's a hard question to answer, but I can guarantee you helmet to helmet contact happens all the time in every game and isn't even considered worthy of a penalty.

So where's the line? When it's the open field? When a linebacker hits a quarterback?

Comment

• FirstTimer
      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by DSpydr84
      So why wasn't Gocong penalized?
      Because it wasn't "unnecessary"

Seriously?

This question has to be asked?

You left that word out of your terrible explanation.

Gocong didn't lower his head for the fuck of it...like Harrison did.

Jesus you're a fucking idiot.

If you penalize one, you penalize them all.
      No. That's not what the rule says.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

That's a hard question to answer, but I can guarantee you helmet to helmet contact happens all the time in every game and isn't even considered worthy of a penalty.
        I don't know what NFL games you have been watching the last two years to make a statement like that.

In fact, when it comes to QB's, they have been throwing flags on all helmet contact for years now, including incidental hand to helmet, etc. Never mind helmet to helmet, which is always an instant flag.

Comment

• DSpydr84
          I need a sub
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
          Because it wasn't "unnecessary"

Seriously?

This question has to be asked?

You left that word out of your terrible explanation.

Gocong didn't lower his head for the fuck of it...like Harrison did.

Jesus you're a fucking idiot.
          It says "violent OR unnecessary", to which I described Gocong's hit as violent.

Comment

• FirstTimer
            Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

So where's the line? When it's the open field? When a linebacker hits a quarterback?
            The quarterback..as a ruyner past the LOS is no longer considered a "defenseless" player the way he is just after he threw a pass. Rashard Mendenhall going full bore towards the goal line is not a defenseless player...Gocongs hit with his helmet was a natural act of the tackle and not an uneeded shot. Harrison could have kept his head up...and there would have been no call. Instead he lowered his crown and hit McCoy int he fucking facemask.

What can't your hillbilly ass understand about this?

Comment

• DSpydr84
              I need a sub
              • Oct 2008

The quarterback..as a ruyner past the LOS is no longer considered a "defenseless" player the way he is just after he threw a pass. Rashard Mendenhall going full bore towards the goal line is not a defenseless player...Gocongs hit with his helmet was a natural act of the tackle and not an uneeded shot. Harrison could have kept his head up...and there would have been no call. Instead he lowered his crown and hit McCoy int he fucking facemask.

What can't your hillbilly ass understand about this?
              The rulebook says that although there is special attention given to defenseless players, it is still a penalty in either circumstance.

But I guess I don't understand

And if Harrison keeps his head up, his face is doing right into McCoy's. That doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

I just think it's unfair to go so far as to remove a guy from the league for something that happens all the time.

When's the last time a QB got hit heads on helmet to helmet in the open field?

That's a hard question to answer

Comment

• FirstTimer
                  Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

It says "violent OR unnecessary", to which I described Gocong's hit as violent.
                  :obama:
                  Read the next fucking sentence....

game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures
                  Gocong and Mendenhall bearing down on eachother at or near full speed at the line..does not fall in that area. Also, why would the call have to go against Gocong? The rule doesn't say it has to be a defensive player. Why can't Mendenhall be flagged?

See where I'm going with this?

Comment

• DSpydr84
                    I need a sub
                    • Oct 2008

lol... what am I gonna do, dig through videos and try to find an example?

Comment

• FirstTimer
                      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Yeah. We get it.

STFU

And if Harrison keeps his head up, his face is doing right into McCoy's. That doesn't make any sense.
                      The refs can tell the difference betwen a player lowering his crown and a player running into McCoy.

Come on.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I'm seriously going to start handing out bans for stupidity.

Comment

• Obst
                          RIP West
                          • Oct 2008

Gocong and Mendenhall bearing down on eachother at or near full speed at the line..does not fall in that area. Also, why would the call have to go against Gocong? The rule doesn't say it has to be a defensive player. Why can't Mendenhall be flagged?

I don't think so or this page wouldn't be 5 pages already.

Comment

• DSpydr84
                            I need a sub
                            • Oct 2008

Right, you mentioned the part of the rule that says special attention is given to defenseless players.

You excluded the sentence before that, that says it is impermissible against any opponent.

So again I ask, where do you draw the line? I agree with what you just said about Mendenhall, and that's the point I'm trying to make. This happens all the time.

Comment

• DSpydr84
                              I need a sub
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              I don't know what NFL games you have been watching the last two years to make a statement like that.

In fact, when it comes to QB's, they have been throwing flags on all helmet contact for years now, including incidental hand to helmet, etc. Never mind helmet to helmet, which is always an instant flag.
                              But what about the runner going into the pile who gets blasted? Who cares about his safety, right?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                                2011 Poster Of The Year
                                • Mar 2009

The rulebook says that although there is special attention given to defenseless players, it is still a penalty in either circumstance.

Why are you complicating the circumstances? The NFL classifies a QB in the act of throwing a defenseless player. End of story. Harrison launched himself at a defenseless player, and made helmet to helmet contact. He should aim lower next time to avoid this.

There really is no logical counter argument. We can argue intent, but really it isn't relevant. It's still an illegal hit, and Harrison still hasn't learned.

Comment

Working...