Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoChargers
    briefcase wanker
    • Nov 2008

If Norv Turner is fired, Smith should go with him as it was his decision to fire Schottenheimer and hire Turner.

Turner is a nice guy, an outstanding offensive co-ordinator, a below average head coach.. Will be glad to see both of them gone.

Comment

• mcstl25
      M-Castle
      • Feb 2009

Gruden sounds like a long shot to me. Whoever the Rams' next head coach is, I hope it's someone with previous head coaching experience. Linehan is a good offensive coordinator and Spags is a good defensive coordinator, but both have shown to not be good head coaches. I still think Spags at some point could be a very good head coach, but he's just too inexperienced right now and some of the mistakes he makes are inexcusable.

Comment

• Palooza
        Au Revoir, Shoshanna
        • Feb 2009

What about Jeff Fischer?

Comment

• Rudi
          #CyCueto
          • Nov 2008

If it's Gruden, I expect the Rams to draft RGIII. Gruden absolutely loves RGIII, so he would probably want them to take him.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Rudi
            If it's Gruden, I expect the Rams to draft RGIII. Gruden absolutely loves RGIII, so he would probably want them to take him.
            Yet he would probably have more success with signing Rex Grossman and turning him into the next Rich Gannon. Both guys are mobile, both played for the Redskins, both are veterans who understand offenses, makes sense for him.

Comment

• GoChargers
              briefcase wanker
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Palooza
              What about Jeff Fischer?
              I'd take Fisher over Gruden personally. He and Young didn't work together well for some reason which was his downfall. Still a good coach.

Comment

• Cornelius
                3rd place is you're fired
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by mcstl25
                Whoever the Rams' next head coach is, I hope it's someone with previous head coaching experience..

Hi there

Comment

• DSpydr84
                  I need a sub
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mcstl25
                  Gruden sounds like a long shot to me. Whoever the Rams' next head coach is, I hope it's someone with previous head coaching experience. Linehan is a good offensive coordinator and Spags is a good defensive coordinator, but both have shown to not be good head coaches. I still think Spags at some point could be a very good head coach, but he's just too inexperienced right now and some of the mistakes he makes are inexcusable.
                  To take this a step further, you need to bring in a guy who has a staff. That's the proven recipe for success.

Too many times you see guys go to a new location and suffer because they don't have trust in the surrounding staff. I think the Lions and the 49ers are prime examples of how you can turn a team around with a staff that works well with the head coach and his philosophy.

I think a lot of people forget how much actually goes into the entire football team, and having a staff that the head coach can delegate to really helps. Think of all the successful coordinators that never made it, and all the ones that did. Usually this has a lot to do with hiring/firing the people that fit or that share the HC's vision.

Spags came in by himself, and he's going to leave by himself. He's a good coach, but there was clearly too many breaks in the chain for it to work.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by DSpydr84
                    To take this a step further, you need to bring in a guy who has a staff. That's the proven recipe for success.

Too many times you see guys go to a new location and suffer because they don't have trust in the surrounding staff. I think the Lions and the 49ers are prime examples of how you can turn a team around with a staff that works well with the head coach and his philosophy.

I think a lot of people forget how much actually goes into the entire football team, and having a staff that the head coach can delegate to really helps. Think of all the successful coordinators that never made it, and all the ones that did. Usually this has a lot to do with hiring/firing the people that fit or that share the HC's vision.

Spags came in by himself, and he's going to leave by himself. He's a good coach, but there was clearly too many breaks in the chain for it to work.
                    On the flip side, you can bring in your guys and not have much success. Shanahan brought in a lot of "his guys" including his son. There is plenty of coaching "talent" on the sidelines there, but the on-field results, especially on offense, haven't been there.

Same with the Redskins when Joe Gibbs came back. He found a defensive coordinator who shared his vision in Gregg Williams and allowed him to hire who he wanted to hire for the defensive staff. Gibbs brought in his guys for offense, and two years later, brought in Al Saunders to run the offense.

Don't get me wrong- having a good staff is huge. Sometimes, the right assistants are in place. Othertimes, they aren't. Most coaches who are coordinators first also know other people they've worked with and made connections along the way, so they can find those people. But its not a guarantee to work out all of the time.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                      Throbbing Tebowner
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                      On the flip side, you can bring in your guys and not have much success. Shanahan brought in a lot of "his guys" including his son. There is plenty of coaching "talent" on the sidelines there, but the on-field results, especially on offense, haven't been there.

Same with the Redskins when Joe Gibbs came back. He found a defensive coordinator who shared his vision in Gregg Williams and allowed him to hire who he wanted to hire for the defensive staff. Gibbs brought in his guys for offense, and two years later, brought in Al Saunders to run the offense.

Don't get me wrong- having a good staff is huge. Sometimes, the right assistants are in place. Othertimes, they aren't. Most coaches who are coordinators first also know other people they've worked with and made connections along the way, so they can find those people. But its not a guarantee to work out all of the time.
                      Shanahan seems to have an ego problem.
                      So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Palooza
                        Au Revoir, Shoshanna
                        • Feb 2009

Redskins seem to have a "we suck no matter the coach" problem

Comment

Working...