Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Jags coaching search: Jay Gruden a serious candidate

The Jaguars are making it no secret the type of head coach they want.

In addition to Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, the Jags have reportedly requested permission to interview Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski for their head-coaching position.

Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said Monday that a team had contacted Carolina about interviewing Chudzinski. Joe Person of The Charlotte Observer reported that the Jaguars were that team.

Chudzinski just finished his first year as the Panthers' offensive coordinator and was considered a big reason for Cam Newton's success. PFW associate editor Dan Parr writes that Chudzinski should be at the top of another Florida team's list — the Buccaneers.

An NFL insider said the following about Chudzinski in "Audibles": (Chudzinski) is one of the brightest young coaches in football. He understands personnel. He understands schemes. And he knows how to adjust his scheme to his personnel. He's a rising star. I've been tracking him since he was at Miami - I was really impressed with him then, and he's continued to grow under some of the best in the game. I wouldn't trade our head coach for anyone, but if we needed one, he'd be the first guy I'd bring in. After what he did for Cam (Newton) this year, he'd be the first guy I'd bring in if I were in Jacksonville."

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported that Schottenheimer will interview for the job. The interview could take place next week.

Schottenheimer has been under fire all season long and there are rumors he could lose his job in New York.

The way we see it

The Jaguars' ownership appears to be targeting offensive minds to help develop QB Blaine Gabbert, Jacksonville's top pick in last year's draft who had his struggles as a rookie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ndidates_for_j
  • GoChargers
    briefcase wanker
    • Nov 2008

What about Marty??

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by GoChargers
      What about Marty??
      He's pushing 70, so I doubt it. The Virginia team in the UFL hired him to be their coach and GM, and he also does some broadcasting appearances on ESPN if I'm not mistaken. I can't see him coming to any NFL team, even if his son is the head coach. Maybe a special advisor, if that.

Comment

• ZoneBlitz
        • Feb 2009

Brian Schottenheimer

Guy is barely qualified to be OC.

Comment

• Leftwich
          Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Chud... lol that doesn't even sound like a good nickname for a coach.

Originally posted by Tailback U
          It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
            aka Reece
            • Apr 2009

Larry, I'd buy you some Jags shit if they hire Brian Schitty...DO ITTTTT
            Originally posted by Nick Mangold
            Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• StealthShot
              Eat it
              • Oct 2008

PLEASE PLEASE take schotty so wen can get off the hook without dealing with money and other bullshit nonsense.

Comment

• FUSE
                • Oct 2008

Broncos OC Mike McCoy is also supposedly on their list.

ESPN also reported the Jaguars will interview Denver’s Mike McCoy and New England’s Bill O’Brien.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...ixzz1iNGArqH0]

Comment

• ZoneBlitz
                  • Feb 2009

Mike McCoy

Maybe they can run the option offense with Blaine Gabbert.

Are the Jaguars purposefully looking for the worst OC's possible?

Comment

• Diivox
                    It's the other way.
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                    He's pushing 70, so I doubt it. The Virginia team in the UFL hired him to be their coach and GM, and he also does some broadcasting appearances on ESPN if I'm not mistaken. I can't see him coming to any NFL team, even if his son is the head coach. Maybe a special advisor, if that.
                    UFL is gone and aint coming back. they didnt even finish their second season and most of their guys went unpaid for the final game.

Comment

• Archer
                      Go the fuck outside
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ZoneBlitz
                      Mike McCoy

Maybe they can run the option offense with Blaine Gabbert.

Are the Jaguars purposefully looking for the worst OC's possible?
                      McCoy doesn't specialize in the option... he added it to his offense for Tebow.

Comment

• Champ
                        Needs a hobby
                        • Oct 2008

They need to interview Kevin Gilbride

Comment

• wr50l
                          Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                          • Oct 2008

Offensive guru Brian Schottenheimer huh. Well if they do decide to go in the opposite direction Steve Spagnuolo would be another great candidate.

I'm also available if these two don't make the grade.

Comment

• Leftwich
                            Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

I hope they're waiting on Pete Carmichael Jr.

Originally posted by Tailback U
                            It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Hitman
                              Fist Pumpin to the Oldies
                              • Jun 2009

Scotty is perfect.. Gabbert is his kind of qb.. He can hand the ball off on first and second down, and throw to the flat on third.. Success!

Comment

Working...