X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgoblue2290
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
    And many drives started past the 20, which is basically non existant now.

Sorry but, the field is longer.

apparently someone at ESPN is reading this thread

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...-effect-on-nfl
    Yeah I guess it does make a good sized difference.

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

seems like without doing any stat digging that the really good QBs really took advantage of the open field while the shitty QBs are still......shitty.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
        Three teams scored 500 points, too. Impressive I guess, but also just silly.
        Which makes the Rams' sub-200 point year all the more

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by EmpireWF
          Which makes the Rams' sub-200 point year all the more
          Its cool, all they need is a good T.

Anyway, what is amazing to me is that this thread is over a full page already and nobody has stated the obvious. Its not because of the kickoffs being moved or really good QB play. Its because WR's have free run of the field and QB's have less fear in the pocket due to all of the new restrictive rules.

Comment

• killgod
            OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
            • Oct 2008

Its cool, all they need is a good T.

Anyway, what is amazing to me is that this thread is over a full page already and nobody has stated the obvious. Its not because of the kickoffs being moved or really good QB play. Its because WR's have free run of the field and QB's have less fear on the pocket due to all of the new restrictive rules.
            I don't see how you can dispute the effect of kickoffs and longer fields, but the point you make here combines with that to pretty much explain it.

They need to allow more jostling between DB/WR's and stop being overboard with QB protection. Protecting the QB's is needed, but the NFL is over the top with it.

The 15 yarder on Brady after the Bills INT on sunday was fucking hilarious. I mean what the hell is that shit.

Comment

• MrBill
              Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
              • Feb 2009

Anyway, what is amazing to me is that this thread is over a full page already and nobody has stated the obvious. Its not because of the kickoffs being moved or really good QB play. Its because WR's have free run of the field and QB's have less fear in the pocket due to all of the new restrictive rules.
              I was about to post something along those lines but was going to say it's because defenses are hamstrung now. With this "defenseless receiver" and no touching of the QB rules combined with not being able to jam a receiver beyond 5 yards, it's no wonder that record breaking yardage numbers are being put up. Receivers used to fear going over the middle. Now they know that they are protected from the kill shot in the progress of making a catch so it gives them a big advantage.

Next up, 12 man offenses vs. 9 man defenses.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

You would think we would see some 2000 yard receivers to correspond with the 4000 & 5000 yard passers, but we don't. In fact, there are less elite WR's than we've seen in many years. Why? Because EVERYBODY gets open now, and QB's spread the wealth. Teams have two or three Devery Henderson's or Jordy Nelson's because defenses cant cover anyone anymore.

Comment

• ZoneBlitz
                  • Feb 2009

Not only can you not touch the WR/TE past 5 yards, when they touch the ball you can barely hit them if they are "defenseless", and you cant hit them anywhere close to their helmet.

Then you cant hit the QB a second late, cant hit him low, cant hit him high.

Defenders have no idea how to defend with these new rules, they have basically been reduced to just being obstacle cones as the offense runs circles around them.

Offenses have learned how to exploit the fuck out of these rules.

This is not real football.

Comment

• Kuzzy Powers
                    Beautiful Like Moses
                    • Oct 2008

Ive never seen more poor DB's or freakish athletic TEs then we have now in the league, even to an extent the WRs, so many big physical guys that just eat DBs up. 7-10 years ago I could name a lot of DBs who I would consider either elite or near it, and that type of quality just isnt available in the league today. And the rules have gotten tougher and tougher for the DBs too, leaving more room for big plays from receivers. This has been a big contributor towards a number influx IMO.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                      Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                      The 15 yarder on Brady after the Bills INT on sunday was fucking hilarious. I mean what the hell is that shit.
                      The flag on the tebow hit on the final drive was hilarious too.

Originally posted by MrBill
                      I was about to post something along those lines but was going to say it's because defenses are hamstrung now. With this "defenseless receiver" and no touching of the QB rules combined with not being able to jam a receiver beyond 5 yards, it's no wonder that record breaking yardage numbers are being put up. Receivers used to fear going over the middle. Now they know that they are protected from the kill shot in the progress of making a catch so it gives them a big advantage.

Next up, 12 man offenses vs. 9 man defenses.
                      Last week in the Saints Falcons game a Falcons defender hit a Saints player who was "defenseless" I guess after catching the pass. The next drive Roddy White nearly had his back broken on a hit trying to make a catch and there was no flag.

Not only are the rules stupid they aren't even applied consistantly.

Johnny Knox was bent in half and I thought had been killed....

No flag.
                      You would think we would see some 2000 yard receivers to correspond with the 4000 & 5000 yard passers, but we don't. In fact, there are less elite WR's than we've seen in many years. Why? Because EVERYBODY gets open now, and QB's spread the wealth. Teams have two or three Devery Henderson's or Jordy Nelson's because defenses cant cover anyone anymore.
                      Yet the Bears can't find any :obama:

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                        No longer a noob
                        • Apr 2011

Anyone who sees these games and numbers knows they're highly inflated. I was watching the Bears/Packers game, and Zach Bowman is on Jordy Nelson. Bowman manages to cover Nelson pretty well on his route, but when the pass is coming Bowman makes the slightest bit of contact. Scared that he was going to get a flag, he throws his hands up. Nelson, having gone from very lightly covered to uncovered, makes a sliding catch and then a flag comes in against the DB. What exactly can the CB do in this scenario?

The league has really stacked the deck against defenses. The next rule change is going to literally tie a hand behind all defenders' backs. Basically, they need to do away with illegal contact now. You can't have that and the new (great IMO) rules that try to lessen concussions. The problems IMO are two-fold. The NFL made/enforced rules like illegal contact and hitting a QB low for their high profile QBs. A business decision that has really made the GAME suck. Two, their officials are incompetent. You seemingly can't ask them to make a judgement call on barely touching a QB and getting a penalty for hitting him high, or barely bumping a WR and getting called for illegal contact, or hitting a WR with your shoulder in their gut and getting a defenseless receiver. NBA refs make judgement calls. NHL refs make almost nothing but judgement calls. MLB umps make judgement calls. It's time for NFL refs to put on their big boy pants and make some. And for the league to stop taking it's cues from Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.
                        SAMSUNG-SGH-A887/A887UCIJ1 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.5 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1

Comment

• NAHSTE
                          Probably owns the site
                          • Feb 2009

The passing records to me are like the steroid era HR records. Does anyone really think of Barry Bonds in a higher regard than Ruth or Aaron?

Three teams scored 500 points, too. Impressive I guess, but also just silly.
                          On fbook the other day a Saints fan who I am friends with from school posted something about Brees and the record. I replied that I was as impressed as I was when McGwire and Sosa topped 61 homers.

Predictably, a shit fit from defensive Saints fans ensued. But seriously, fuck these numbers. None of them mean a damn thing anymore. That goes for Scam Newton's rookie passing record too.

Comment

• ralaw
                            Posts too much
                            • Feb 2009

IDK, there are teams (San Fran, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc) that seem to still play solid defense even with the rule changes. The rule changes shouldn't be an excuse for poor defensive play.

Comment

• KNUBB
                              WHITE RONDO
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                              On fbook the other day a Saints fan who I am friends with from school posted something about Brees and the record. I replied that I was as impressed as I was when McGwire and Sosa topped 61 homers.

Predictably, a shit fit from defensive Saints fans ensued. But seriously, fuck these numbers. None of them mean a damn thing anymore. That goes for Scam Newton's rookie passing record too.
                              Someone was mad it was against his team

Comment

• killgod
                                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NAHSTE

The game has changed but it doesn't render this shit meaningless (the non cheating football things, baseball is it's own story).

You just can't compare what Brees is doing now to what Marino did 25 years or whatever ago fairly, but to say what Brees has done this year doesn't mean a damn thing?

That's a bit dramatic.

Comment

Working...