X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
    You would think we would see some 2000 yard receivers to correspond with the 4000 & 5000 yard passers, but we don't. In fact, there are less elite WR's than we've seen in many years. Why? Because EVERYBODY gets open now, and QB's spread the wealth. Teams have two or three Devery Henderson's or Jordy Nelson's because defenses cant cover anyone anymore.
    Disagree to an extent. Victor Cruz had nearly 1600 yards for the Giants this year. And he's terrible.

3 of the top 25 single-season receiving yardage seasons occurred this year:

Calvin Johnson (1,681 yards/#7)

Wes Welker (1,569/#19)

Vic Cruz (1,536/#24)

And I don't know about your "elite" WRs comment, either. I think there are still several elite WRs in the NFL. The problem is that since every team wants to pass the ball on every down, everyone wants a #1 WR (except Chicago) and a top-notch QB. You may say "Yeah, every team always wants those things", but I don't think it was the same emphasis in the past. So what you get now is elite WRs like Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith stuck on teams with bad QBs, and you have elite QBs like Drew Brees and Phil Rivers (?) stuck on teams with bad WRs.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
      2011 Poster Of The Year
      • Mar 2009

And you can throw the kickoffs from the 35 stuff right out the window. I don't buy for a single second that it has anything to do with the increased yardage for two reasons:

1.) rushing yardage hasn't spiked, just passing yardage

2.) in case you forgot, the NFL kicked off from the 35 for many years, and we did not see any change in offensive numbers when they moved it back to the 30 (and they moved it due to too many touchbacks)

It's the defensive rules. Nothing else matters.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Senser81
        Disagree to an extent. Victor Cruz had nearly 1600 yards for the Giants this year. And he's terrible.

3 of the top 25 single-season receiving yardage seasons occurred this year:

Calvin Johnson (1,681 yards/#7)

Wes Welker (1,569/#19)

Vic Cruz (1,536/#24)

And I don't know about your "elite" WRs comment, either. I think there are still several elite WRs in the NFL. The problem is that since every team wants to pass the ball on every down, everyone wants a #1 WR (except Chicago) and a top-notch QB. You may say "Yeah, every team always wants those things", but I don't think it was the same emphasis in the past. So what you get now is elite WRs like Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith stuck on teams with bad QBs, and you have elite QBs like Drew Brees and Phil Rivers (?) stuck on teams with bad WRs.
        But my point was that you aren't seeing corresponding historical receiving totals to match the historical passing totals. 1,500-1,600 yard receiving seasons are very good, but nothing out of the ordinary like 5,000 yard passing seasons.

Bums like Cruz lighting it up shows that anybody can get open now, which was kinda my point. Brees & Rogers don't even need to have elite guys on their team anymore, because when you are that accurate to begin with, and everybody is always open, well, you see the results.

Comment

• Senser81
          VSN Poster of the Year
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          But my point was that you aren't seeing corresponding historical receiving totals to match the historical passing totals. 1,500-1,600 yard receiving seasons are very good, but nothing out of the ordinary like 5,000 yard passing seasons.

Bums like Cruz lighting it up shows that anybody can get open now, which was kinda my point.
          Eli Manning throws for a bunch of yards, and Vic Cruz has over 1500 yards and one of the top receiving years in NFL history. How is that not corresponding?

The top two TE seasons in NFL history occurred in the SAME SEASON, which was this year. And they were turned in by guys who were relatively unknown before this season.

And I think you are underestimating the significance of the 1500 - 1600 receiving season. Its not like rushing totals...only Jerry Rice has gone over 1800 receiving yards, and he only did that once in his career. So to expect WRs to all of the sudden start having 2000 yard seasons is a bit much. Not many WRs have topped the 1500-yard mark. Of the 20 WRs who have done it in NFL history, 7 are active players.

Comment

• Rush
            vsn has rizzen

• Oct 2008

NFL is stepping on my toes over flag football broadcasting rights. Faggots.

Comment

Working...