Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Chargers keeping both Smith and Turner

Despite speculation that there would be a major overhaul of the Chargers front office and coaching staff, the team announced on Tuesday that both GM A.J. Smith and head coach Norv Turner would remain for the 2012 season.

"Bottom line, I believe these two men give us the best chance to get back to the playoffs," team chairman Dean Spanos said in a team-issued statement. "A.J. Smith is the best man to improve our roster, and Norv Turner is the best man to lead that roster on the field."

The Chargers have missed the playoffs each of the past two seasons. In 2011, the team started 4-1, but a six-game losing streak in the middle of the year cost them dearly. Even by winning four of their last five games, they were unable to pass the Broncos in the AFC West standings.

"We all have our quirks and faults, but I want A.J. and Norv on my side. They are the right men to help us win a championship," Spanos said.

The way we see it

It took Spanos a day following the season finale to decide what direction he wanted the team to head in, but eventually he decided staying with Smith and Turner were the way to go. Injuries derailed the team in both 2010 and '11, so an emphasis on building depth through the draft and free agency will be a key this season for the returning GM and head coach.

The Chargers also must decide what to do about Turner's coaching staff, especially defensive coordinator Greg Manusky. The loss of Ron Rivera was a huge one, and Manusky did not get the most out of his players, according to sources. It would not be a surprise to see a change of personnel in that role.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...p_turner_smith
  • Rudi
    #CyCueto
    • Nov 2008

This surprised the shit out of me. The Chargers have yet to seem to reach their full potential under him. Granted Rivers did play like dick during the first few months, but still the fact they couldn't win the West this year is sad

Comment

• killgod
      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
      • Oct 2008

The roster has some talent, so I don't see the problem with the GM.

But Norv Turner is a forever a terrible head coach. I don't know why he has a job. He's a complete fucking moron and the Chargers are wasting Rivers prime on that dumb asshole.

Fine by me of course.

Comment

• EmpireWF
        Giants in the Super Bowl
        • Mar 2009

AJ Smith must have photos of someone.

Comment

• 1ke
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
          • Mar 2009

This is the one that shocked me the most.

Comment

• Senser81
            VSN Poster of the Year
            • Feb 2009

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

With San Diego - 5 seasons

Schottenheimer 47-33
              Norv Turner 49-31

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

The problem with Smith is that he's very abrasive, and that caused a rift between him and Schottenheimer, and led to Smith letting him go.

As I said in another thread I think, he's a great drafter and talent evaluator, but he's also let a lot of players get away from him because of him being stubborn. Just off the top of my head, that list is Drew Brees, Darren Sproles, Kassim Osgood and Michael Turner. The middle two are the ones that really hurt, because the Chargers have suffered with special teams issues since last season.

Smith is one of those guys who is a builder. Few guys can turn around a team like he can, but as has happened in San Diego, they have yet to win a Super Bowl. I think they are putting off the inevitable, as I don't see much changing next year- Turner isn't the coach who is going to win the big one and both will go down next season because of it.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
                  Wakka Wakka
                  • Dec 2008

The Chargers will get worse next year Norv is a horrible head coach. The first year he was head coach of the chargers he had all the pieces of a Super Bowl team. Now the Window has pretty much closed for him im glad as a raider fan he is staying
                  THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• GoChargers
                    briefcase wanker
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ralaw

Schottenheimer 47-33
                    Norv Turner 49-31
                    There was a MASSIVE difference between the two teams each coach inherited.

Norv Turners last 5 seasons in San Diego

2007: 2-1 playoffs, lost in AFC Championship game
                    2008: 1-1 playoffs, lost in AFC Divisional game
                    2009: 0-1 playoffs, lost in AFC Divisional game
                    2010: 9-7 missed playoffs
                    2011: 8-8 missed playoffs.

Progressively worse every year.

With that being said AJ Smith has made some stupid moves which IMO is a bigger reason than Norv's coaching.

At least one more year of underachievement to look forward to.

Comment

• Senser81
                      VSN Poster of the Year
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw

Schottenheimer 47-33
                      Norv Turner 49-31

Comment

• BigHouseUSA
                        Late to the party.
                        • Jun 2009