• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Troy Aikman: NFL May Not Remain No. 1 Sport

Troy Aikman: NFL May Not Remain No. 1 Sport

Undoubtedly the National Football League is king, but a Dallas Cowboys legend thinks trouble may be coming.

Hall of Famer Troy Aikman, the lead analyst on the NFL on Fox, told a Los Angeles forum last Friday he feels the wildly popular sport may be in jeopardy.

"The long-term viability, to me anyway, is somewhat in question as far as what this game is going to look like 20 years from now," Aikman said.

The Super Bowl XXVII MVP said the NFL Network's struggles should be a red flag to owners: "People couldn't get [the channel] in the homes and, all of sudden, fans, me included, were saying, 'I wasn't getting the Thursday night game and I was OK with that.' That’s not a good thing."

Aikman spoke of his worry about the dilution of a product that is currently wildly popular.

"At one time, watching football was an event," Aikman said. "'Monday Night Football' was a big event. Now you get football Sunday, you get it Monday, you get it Thursday and, late in the year, you get it on Saturday."

Aikman did not mention which sport might end up passing football in popularity.

"I think we’re going to look back at this point in time and say these were the missteps that the National Football League took that kept football from being the No. 1 sport," Aikman said, as reported by the Los Angeles Times. "I believe, and this is my opinion, that at some point football is not going to be the number one sport. You talk about the ebbs and flows of what’s popular and what’s not. At some point, the TV ratings are not going to be there. I can’t justify that because the numbers say otherwise (now), but I guess time will tell."

The Cowboys great also mentioned his concern about concussions, and whether anything can be done to remedy a situation that doesn't seem to be getting any better with increased research.

Aikman said if he had a son, "I don’t know if I would be encouraging him to play."
    Is the NFL overexposed?
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

I agree with his argument completely. Sunday isn't what it used to be at all.

Comment

• shag773
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
      Is the NFL overexposed?
      No, I don't think so. The NFL is the ultimate TV sport. Add in the fantasy football craze, and I don't see another major sport that would surpass it's popularity.

Comment

• FirstTimer
        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

I'd be interested to see the TV numbers but IMO NCAAF has already passed by the NFL.

"People couldn't get [the channel] in the homes and, all of sudden, fans, me included, were saying, 'I wasn't getting the Thursday night game and I was OK with that.' That’s not a good thing."
        Agree with this as well.

I barely watch the Thursday Night game as is.

MNF growing up was a huge deal. Even if teams I liked weren't playing. Now it's just "meh". Between the NFL Network and ESPn cramming the NFL down our throats I would say it's over exposed.

Comment

• ralaw
          Posts too much
          • Feb 2009

I haven't see the numbers, but I doubt NCAA football has surpassed the NFL.

Right now the NFL is overexposed, but people want it, so what is the NFL supposed to do? ESPN's many NFL shows don't seem to be struggling to get ratings. Aikman mentions he doesn't think the NFL will be #1, but I don't see any other professional sport overtaking it either. MLB and the NBA have their supporters, but they also have a large portion of society that don't watch either sport. The NFL is basically watched by every type of demographic.

Comment

• Senser81
            VSN Poster of the Year
            • Feb 2009

Its overexposed, but no moreso than the MLB or the NBA. It will still be the #1 sport for a long time.

Comment

• jms493
              • Feb 2009

What sport is going to be #1 then?

Comment

• killgod
                OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
                I haven't see the numbers, but I doubt NCAA football has surpassed the NFL.

Right now the NFL is overexposed, but people want it, so what is the NFL supposed to do? ESPN's many NFL shows don't seem to be struggling to get ratings. Aikman mentions he doesn't think the NFL will be #1, but I don't see any other professional sport overtaking it either. MLB and the NBA have their supporters, but they also have a large portion of society that don't watch either sport. The NFL is basically watched by every type of demographic.
                You devalue your brand when it's saturating the market. The NFL should be holding on to the power that NFL Sunday had, rather than making every day NFL day. As FT explained, people aren't getting ramped up to watch football 4 days a week. Following the NFL feels like a part time job now.

Then you add into the ridiculous "chatterbox socialite" aspect of the entertainment industry and it's total fucking overload. Constant talk about Tim Tebow, what Brady's wife said, Victor Cruz's mom, who gives a flying fuck. All this celebrity ET News bullshit is just too much.

You know when you hear a good song, then you hear it every once in a while and continue to enjoy it as a favourite of yours for a long time?

Or how about when you hear a good song, then play it 50 fucking times in a row and then never want to hear it again?

Same concept, much grander scale IMO.

I really think the MLB is due for a pretty big uptick in fan support. Realignment, steroid era is becoming a faded memory, expanded playoff (meaning plenty more teams remain competitive towards september)....yeah I really like MLB to have a great decade.

Long term, like 20-30 years, I think something like MLS could become the top league in America. Sounds entirely ridiculous now, but when the demographics of America change to where whites are the minority, you are in line for a shift in public sporting interest. Soccer will forever be the global game and none of the major sporting leagues of America have the same ceiling that MLS has because of that, they will never be what the EPL is today. It may not be MLS, it may be another soccer league, but the sport has got the most potential because of it's global appeal.

Comment

• jms493
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete1982
                  NCAA FB would most likely have the best chance. If they go to a playoff format for the title it would only make it more popular. The main thing hurting it in most people's eyes is the BCS.
                  would be surprised....i would think most people are too busy to watch college football on Saturdays. Also the only team I root for is PSU and that is only cause i graduated from there.....I really have no interest in the any other teams. If I never went to college why should I care? I have a friend that loves the NFL and graduated from Sienna and Albany Law......he doesn't give a shit about NCAA football....he says there are too many teams and has no idea what a 'BCS' is.

Also fantasy football and NFL betting will keep it #1 for a long time.

Comment

• jms493
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod

Long term, like 20-30 years, I think something like MLS could become the top league in America. Sounds entirely ridiculous now, but when the demographics of America change to where whites are the minority, you are in line for a shift in public sporting interest. Soccer will forever be the global game and none of the major sporting leagues of America have the same ceiling that MLS has because of that, they will never be what the EPL is today. It may not be MLS, it may be another soccer league, but the sport has got the most potential because of it's global appeal.

That is fine as I will be enjoying my dirtnap when that happens.

Comment

• killgod
                      OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jms493
                      That is fine as I will be enjoying my dirtnap when that happens.
                      You're gonna be dead in 25 years?

Comment

• jms493
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by killgod
                        You're gonna be dead in 25 years?
                        I am not envisioning whites to be the minority in the US in 25 years......are you?

Comment

• Houston
                          Back home
                          • Oct 2008

Don't more people watch random MNF games, than the world series?

Comment

• shag773
                            • Jul 2009

In all fairness, when Monday Night Football was in it's heydey it was a different landscape than what you see today. It was the biggest TV night of the week. I don't think you could recreate that now, be it football or anything else.

The casual football fan will always gravitate to the NFL vs NCAA, no matter what the playoff format is IMO.

Comment

• killgod
                              OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
                              • Oct 2008

It's in decline no doubt.

Then again where I live it's "nationality of the week" so I'm used to seeing fluctuating change in the demographics of the people.

Comment

Working...