X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwfisch
    No longer a noob
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by glenwillett
    We've got $50 mil in cap space, most of the roster under contract and a later first round draft pick...

We have a shot at everybody.
    That's fine that they have a chance. The Bears front office isn't going to begin their tenure by letting a pro bowl running back walk for nothing.

Comment

• Aso
      The Serious House
      • Nov 2008

Johnny Knox > Earl Bennett. Bennett is a slot receiver and that's it. He's not a starter Knox is. Knox is the team's best receiver.

Comment

• nwfisch
        No longer a noob
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Aso21Raiders
        Johnny Knox > Earl Bennett. Bennett is a slot receiver and that's it. He's not a starter Knox is. Knox is the team's best receiver.
        Knox is out til July at least.

Michael Floyd will be better than all if the Bears pick him.

Comment

• FirstTimer
          Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

We have a shot at everybody.
          Not when the Bears franchise tag Forte.

They have about $25 mil not including Forte's $8 mil, the draft picks or Briggs' new contract. That's not really a SHIT LOAD of cap space..
          Briggs won't be getting a new deal..and if he does it won't likely have anything to do with the cap this season in any real meaningful way. He still under contract through next year.

He does this every season.

Comment

• nwfisch
            No longer a noob
            • Jul 2011

Plus glen, why should the Broncos pay big for a RB?

They put anyone back there and it seems like a 1000 yard season is a guarantee.

Comment

• nwfisch
              No longer a noob
              • Jul 2011

They need two backs... McGahee wore down last year and is no guarantee to repeat his performance and Moreno is likely on his way out of town. I suppose they could try and add someone in the draft but I'd much rather see a veteran brought in.
              So they should give up a first round pick and pay a boatload of money for Forte?

Sure they could do that, I don't think it's wise they do that.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by spiker

I don't want to see the Bears invest too much money in the RB position. At worst, the Bears should offer Forte a second chance at their original offer and if he doesn't like it, then let him test free agency. Let him get paid somewhere else. Running back is a high turnover position in the NFL now. A good, cheap replacement is easy to find.
                Franchise tag him this year, draft a running back in the earlier rounds, and let him test the free agent waters after next season. That is what I would do- there really isn't much sense in signing Forte long-term right now, just as it doesn't make sense to do it for any running back, really. There are just a lot of things working against them now.

Comment

• Aso
                  The Serious House
                  • Nov 2008

Knox isn't much more than a slot receiver either...
                  ?

Her averaged almost 20 yards a catch vs Bennett's pedestrian 10.

Comment

• nwfisch
                    No longer a noob
                    • Jul 2011

Matt Forte ‏ https://twitter.com/#!/MattForte22/s...44091020898304 Ahhh so many rumors... I can't stand the media! I'll just pray for them!

Comment

• spiker
                      Beast mode
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                      Franchise tag him this year, draft a running back in the earlier rounds, and let him test the free agent waters after next season. That is what I would do- there really isn't much sense in signing Forte long-term right now, just as it doesn't make sense to do it for any running back, really. There are just a lot of things working against them now.
                      This is probably what will happen after they "low ball" him on an LTC.

Comment

• Diivox
                        It's the other way.
                        • Apr 2009

I don't understand the rationale behind the whole "cap room" or "tie up alot of money into the RB position" argument.

1) Cap room is easily created. Look at the Steelers and the Jets - they've already freed up 10 million by simply converting base salaries to signing bonuses. Bruce Allen, when he was with the Raiders, famously kept a drawer with re-worked contracts ready to go if he needed cap room. The salary cap on the whole is a bit of a myth - theres plenty of ways to generate cap room.

plus...

2) The bears are ALREADY committing a ton of money/cap room to Forte. Franchise tag is not free. That's top 5 money already basically committed to him for the next 2 years. you might as well put that in writing and not deal with the distraction.

3) This isn't the NBA. contracts aren't guaranteed. If he gets hurt, if he doesn't perform well, you cut him. If anything, a fat contract justifies getting rid of him in a way that is alot more, well, justified, than the current situation.

none of the "con" arguments really work against paying Forte. Give him a 7 year kajillion billion dollar contract, backload it, give the guy the ego boost of a kajillion billion dollar contract and make him happy. if 1) occurs, re-work the contract, or build it in such a way that minimizes the cap hit (fat signing bonus) if 2) occurs and he isn't worth the money, re-work it, build in alot of the money as non-guaranteed for injury, or cut him. (See: Peyton Manning. if the Colts don't pay the big bonus, he gets cut, and the team is out nothing it ; was allegedly 5 years 90 million, but 28 of that is due in a couple of weeks) and 3) if he starts to suck, cut him.

Sure you absorb a Salary cap hit by cutting him, but... that is defeated by the fact that the Bears have a ton of salary cap space and can create more if they need to, and can easily write up a contract that protects their cap against any kind of decline.

And if he continues to be the MVP candidate he was playing like before the injury, he is worth every penny regardless of any other circumstances on the team.

Bottom line? Pay Forte. his beyond-any-kind-of-rational situation probably more than anything else cost Angelo his job.

Comment

• Aso
                          The Serious House
                          • Nov 2008

I think if the Steelers somehow don't end up re-signing Mike Wallace then your #1 point is kind of proven wrong.

Plus I think NFL Players aren't as dumb as you make them to be. NFL Players want a front loaded more than anything else and thats obviously why Forte has yet to sign.

Comment

• 1ke
                            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                            • Mar 2009

If I had my way I would have the Bears resign him without using the Franchise Tag, then trade him for picks and with one of those picks draft Trent Richardson in the 2nd round.

Or something along those lines. I love him, but I would never give big money to a back.

Comment

Working...