X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralaw
    Posts too much
    • Feb 2009

Bill Stewart, former West Virginia coach, dies of heart attack

Former West Virginia head coach Bill Stewart died from uffered an apparent heart attack while playing golf Monday, according to a statement from the university.

Stewart, 59, was playing in a West Virginia Hospitality and Tourism Association annual event with former West Virginia athletic director Eddie Pastilong, according to multiple reports. Stewart was rushed to Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital in Weston.

Stewart played at Fairmont State College and served as a student assistant for a season after he graduated. He spent two seasons at Salem as an assistant, followed by stops as an assistant coach at North Carolina (1979), Marshall (1980), William & Mary (1981-83), Navy (1984), North Carolina (1985-87), Arizona State (1988-89) and Air Force (1990-93).

He was head coach at VMI from 1994-96, then spent a year with the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL and another season with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He joined West Virginia as an assistant in 2000.

Stewart replaced Rich Rodriguez on an interim basis for the Mountaineers’ game against Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl (Jan. 2, 2008) on and was named head coach shortly after West Virginia won that game, 48-28.

His three teams at West Virginia each went 9-4 from 2008 until 2010 and were 1-2 in bowl games.

After it was announced that Dana Holgorsen would spend the 2011 season as offensive coordinator and become head coach in 2012, Stewart resigned after a report claimed the he attempted to smear Holgorsen’s name.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1vXIZ6GDY
    Sad to hear....I heard he was a good dude.
  • Leftwich
    Bring on the Season

• Oct 2008

Originally posted by ralaw
    Sad to hear....I heard he was a good dude.
    Karma, his smear campaign against Holgz backfired. It backfired so bad it killed him, fuck him.

Originally posted by Tailback U
    It won't say shit, because dying is for pussies.

Comment

• Atlas
      BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
      • Feb 2010

He was a great man and a great position coach, but he just didnt have what it takes to run a big time program... He loved WVU with all his heart and I feel for his family and friends...

Comment

• Atlas
        BRACK FRIDAY BUNDURU!!!!!
        • Feb 2010

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
          2011 Poster Of The Year
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Atlas
          He was a great man and a great position coach, but he just didnt have what it takes to run a big time program... He loved WVU with all his heart and I feel for his family and friends...
          ...or West Virginia

Comment

Working...