• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Mandatory thigh & knee pads in the NFL, 2013

OMG GOODELL IS RUINING THE LEAGUE

Seriously though, reminds me of my old school high school coach who forced us to wear all pads, including the weird ass/tailbone pad.
  • KNUBB
    WHITE RONDO
    • Jun 2009

:fedor:

Comment

• jaxjaggywires
      Eradicator!!
      • Feb 2009

All this means is the pad manufacturers will make them as small and unobtrusive as possible...no real change. Players will get used to it.
      ...in my pants
      Fred Taylor for the HOF!
      Facebook - Twitter

Comment

• JOHNNYTHECLOWN
        WAAAASSSSUUUUP
        • Mar 2009

"Okay, I'll just put that piece of paper I called a knee pad back into my pants I guess"

Everyone will be wearing the thinnest shit so it's not gonna do too much. Actually, I think this will lead to more injuries.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
          Throbbing Tebowner
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD

Seriously though, reminds me of my old school high school coach who forced us to wear all pads, including the weird ass/tailbone pad.
          Tailbone pad saved my ass a few times.
          So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Senser81
            VSN Poster of the Year
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD

LOL. The only leg padding I wore in high school was wrestling knee pads. All the padding that was provided to us was terrible. The knee pads would never stay in place, the thigh pads would slide around and sometimes inhibit your running, the hip pads were incredibly inflexible so it was like you had two hardcover textbooks on each side, and the tailbone pad would sometimes shift.

Comment

• MVPete
              Old School
              • Mar 2008

Are they ever going to make mouth pieces mandatory? I know they help prevent concussions so that would make sense.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete1982
                Are they ever going to make mouth pieces mandatory? I know they help prevent concussions so that would make sense.
                They currently aren't?

Comment

• MVPete
                  Old School
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                  They currently aren't?
                  Apparently not. Heard some former NFL player talking about the case and saying how they get fined for having too long of a towel or the wrong socks but won't get fined for no mouth piece because they aren't mandatory. I guess the players(NFLPA) don't want them because they make it tougher to breathe or the QB will have a harder time calling out plays. I'd be shocked if more players don't man up and start using them with the info that is coming out now, they would be stupid not to give themselves a leg up in helping prevent future concussions.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by MVPete1982
                    Apparently not. Heard some former NFL player talking about the case and saying how they get fined for having too long of a towel or the wrong socks but won't get fined for no mouth piece because they aren't mandatory. I guess the players(NFLPA) don't want them because they make it tougher to breathe or the QB will have a harder time calling out plays. I'd be shocked if more players don't man up and start using them with the info that is coming out now, they would be stupid not to give themselves a leg up in helping prevent future concussions.
                    For some reason I guess I always assumed they were. Wow.

Comment

• ThunderHorse
                      Grind.
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by FirstTimer
                      For some reason I guess I always assumed they were. Wow.
                      I'm surprised you thought that.

I know you've been watching football longer than I, but you've never picked up on how clearly the quarterbacks cadences are before the snap? I used to wonder about it because I never saw Manning or others take the mouthpiece out or put it in, but when the microphones started picking up the cadences so much clearer it's just plain obvious these guys are speaking way to clearly to have a mouth piece in.

Comment

• FirstTimer
                        Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Originally posted by ThunderForce
                        I'm surprised you thought that.

I know you've been watching football longer than I, but you've never picked up on how clearly the quarterbacks cadences are before the snap? I used to wonder about it because I never saw Manning or others take the mouthpiece out or put it in, but when the microphones started picking up the cadences so much clearer it's just plain obvious these guys are speaking way to clearly to have a mouth piece in.
                        Mouth pieces, like pads have gotten smaller and smaller as of recently. I just figured they were really small/thin.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

I'm tellin ya'll...too much equipment is too much. Only making things worse with the advancements in equipment.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                            Probably owns the site
                            • Feb 2009

They are covering their ass for future litigation, like all of these moves.

Still, a good idea. Tired of seeing these clowns prance around in what is essentially jogging spandex.

Comment

• Tailback U
                              No substitute 4 strength.
                              • Nov 2008

If they really wanted to make a difference they'd make sure every player has their chin strapped buckled, mouth piece in, and helmet on snug.

The amount of helmets we see knocked off each game is absurd. A helmet that loose is dangerous because it allows the skull to be knocked around within the helmet, it's hardly secure at all.

I remember my helmet was so tight that when I took it off my damn ears almost ripped off the sides of my head.

Comment

Working...