Stanford's Offensive Coordinator Position to be called.................

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FirstTimer
    Freeman Error

• Feb 2009

Stanford's Offensive Coordinator Position to be called.................

Through an anonymous donation, Stanford has ensured that former quarterback Andrew Luck's legacy will live on at the university by endowing Luck's name to the offensive coordinator position.

The position will now be formally known as the Andrew Luck Director of Offense.

"It is a huge tribute," Luck said in a statement issued by Stanford. "To have anything endowed in my name is a complete honor. I feel very fortunate to have come to Stanford, and I have always enjoyed representing the university. The offensive coordinators I've had here helped me not only in football, but also to grow so much as a person. To be a part of that leadership and position is a very proud legacy for me."

Pep Hamilton is Stanford's offensive coordinator. He replaced David Shaw, who was named coach following Jim Harbaugh's departure to the NFL.

"It is a tremendous honor to hold this position and to be associated with an outstanding young man like Andrew Luck, who means so much to Stanford football and the Stanford community," Hamilton said. "I will do everything in my power to proudly continue the tradition of creative and exciting offensive football at Stanford."

Only a handful of football head coaching positions at private schools are endowed. At Stanford, Shaw's position is endowed (as are nine others who are head coaches of other sports) and is known as the Bradford M. Freeman Director of Football. Also, all 85 Stanford football scholarships are endowed.

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts in last month's NFL draft, helped turn around a Stanford program that had recorded seven straight losing seasons before he took over the offense in 2009. He quarterbacked the Cardinal to a 31-7 record in his 38 career starts, missing only the 2009 Sun Bowl due to injury. He also helped the Cardinal to a 24-5 conference record and an 8-3 mark against top-25 opponents.

Luck has twice been runner-up for the Heisman Trophy and twice been named the Pac-12's Offensive Player of the Year. As a fourth-year junior, Luck earned Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year honors, the Maxwell Trophy as the nation's top player and the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Trophy. As a third-year sophomore, he received the Archie Griffin Award as college football's Most Valuable Player and was named the Orange Bowl MVP.

"I am very pleased that Andrew Luck's name will be perpetually tied to the Director of Offense position at Stanford," said Shaw. "Because of his great play on the field, his intellect and his great relationships with the coaching staff, Andrew allowed us to do so much on offense the last three years at Stanford. He set the bar high for himself, for every quarterback who comes to Stanford, and for our performance on offense."
    This is possibly the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard of.
  • Senser81
    VSN Poster of the Year
    • Feb 2009

Illinois has a similar coaching position called the Juice Williams Director of Underachievement.

Comment

Working...