X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killgod
    OHHHH WHEN THE REDSSSSS
    • Oct 2008

Jaguars to play 4 games in London, UK

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Aaron Ross is heading back to London.

And he's bringing his teammates with him.

A person familiar with the situation said Monday that the Jaguars are going to play multiple home games in London beginning in 2013.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and team owner Shad Khan want to make a formal announcement Tuesday afternoon in Jacksonville. The person said the Jaguars will play a total of four home games in London, one each year between 2013 and 2016.

Khan has made it clear he wants to play games overseas in hopes of increasing the team's brand globally. He even mentioned it during his introductory news conference last year.

The St. Louis Rams had been scheduled to play a home game in London in 2013 and 2014, but they pulled out last week, citing a need to focus on lease negotiations and ease fan discontent.

Jacksonville wasted little time scooping up the available games -- plus some.

For Ross, it means a return trip. The former New York Giants cornerback spent a few days in London watching his wife, American runner Sanya Richards-Ross, win Olympic gold.

Khan made a visit to the Summer Games, too.

His plan to play overseas started long before that.

Khan said last year he wanted to create an international fan base for the Jaguars (No. 31 in the AP Pro32) .

"The NFL is going to be developing an international fan base. Why shouldn't it be the Jaguars?" Khan said in December. "In all honesty, internationally, they don't know the difference between the Jaguars and the Steelers."

Khan said the reason outgoing owner Wayne Weaver had been reluctant to play in London was because of "moveophobia," the fear that fans would take it as a sign the franchise was in jeopardy of relocating. Khan is so confident things will work in Jacksonville that he has no concerns about playing overseas.

"I'm very open," he said last year. "I think it would serve Jacksonville well to play a game or two overseas, to get the name Jacksonville out. If you look at some of the international Premier League teams, they have a huge fan following overseas in the Middle East, India, Pakistan, Malaysia, etc.

"I think the NFL, in the long run, will probably be doing something like that. Why shouldn't we be one of the flag carriers?"

Although the Jaguars haven't blacked out a home game since 2009, they have struggled to fill EverBank Field the past two seasons, often needing to find creative ways to sell tickets to keep games on local television.

Playing in London or elsewhere would lower season-ticket prices and possibly improve the chances of enticing new fans in a tough economy.
  • BigBucs
    Unpretentious
    • May 2009

Better them than us Rams was like fuck that shit too.

Comment

• Dan The Man
      Dip My Balls In It
      • Mar 2009

Hopefully this is the first step in deporting them.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
        2011 Poster Of The Year
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BigBucs
        Better them than us Rams was like fuck that shit too.
        Yeah, I think this is how the Rams got out of that shit. They were supposed to go three years in a row.

Comment

• BigBucs
          Unpretentious
          • May 2009

Id be cool with it if they stopped fucking the little guy. Seems like the Pats have played out there 3 of the past 4 years or so but their asses never get home games taken away. I know owners probably sign off because of attendance but fuck that shit. Its hard enough for a team thats struggling to win to do so with 8 home games, take one away and we are even more fucked.

Comment

• Primetime
            Thank You Prince
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BigBucs
            Id be cool with it if they stopped fucking the little guy. Seems like the Pats have played out there 3 of the past 4 years or so but their asses never get home games taken away. I know owners probably sign off because of attendance but fuck that shit. Its hard enough for a team thats struggling to win to do so with 8 home games, take one away and we are even more fucked.
            I think its pretty obvious why teams like the Pats don't get their home games taken away.

Comment

• BigBucs
              Unpretentious
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
              I think its pretty obvious why teams like the Pats don't get their home games taken away.

Why dont you explain to me why a team like Jacksonville will have 4 "home" games in London. I cant, for the life of me, figure it out.

Comment

• Primetime
                Thank You Prince
                • Nov 2008

You keep bitching about them hurting the "little" guy and I'll keep stating the obvious.

Comment

• BigBucs
                  Unpretentious
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Primetime
                  You keep bitching about them hurting the "little" guy and I'll keep stating the obvious.
                  You might as well be OP.

Comment

• JayDizzle
                    Let's Go All The Way...
                    • Nov 2008

Great...

No fan of the NFL overseas wants to see an also-ran team play live when they could watch playoff contenders instead on TV.

Yes, people come in droves to see the attraction that is Futbol Americano in their home soccer stadiums but you'd drum up more buzz for an international team like Goodell wants with franchises like the Steelers or the Giants or even the Cowboys.

Not the Jags.

*I dig the "opportunity" but this feels like either JAX does this or they're getting less of the overall pie now than just from their shitty play and lack of fan support.

Comment

• Aso
                      The Serious House
                      • Nov 2008

lol 4 home games taken away? NFL is ass-raping the Jags.

Comment

Working...