X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheImmortalGoud
    No longer a noob
    • Jan 2011

WAC To Drop Football After 2012

The WAC will drop football after the 2012 season, commissioner Jeff Hurd told The Denver Post this morning.

The WAC will drop football after the 2012 season, commissioner Jeff Hurd told The Denver Post this morning.

It’s possible that the conference could fold altogether if they are unable to add enough schools. In order to keep NCAA Division I status, the WAC must have seven members.

“I think that sometime in late July it became apparent that it was unlikely we could continue with football,” Hurd said. “We looked at every option we could think of. With the geography we have in terms of schools, it presents a challenge.”

Trouble began brewing for the conference after Boise State departed for the MWC in 2011, which was later followed by Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada announcing the same move for 2012.

The WAC scrambled to add Texas State and UTSA, but conference realignment hit the them hard again when four schools accepted offers from other conferences for the 2013 season. Texas State is heading to the Sun Belt, Louisiana Tech and UTSA are moving to C-USA, and San Jose State and Utah State are off to the MWC.

That left Idaho and New Mexico State as the only remaining football-playing members of the WAC. Idaho will likely opt to be an FBS Independent for a couple of years while New Mexico State’s future remains uncertain. (New Mexico State announced Tuesday they will play as an Independent in 2013).

The WAC formed in 1962 with six members: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. Arizona and Arizona State left for the Pac-10 in 1978 while the remaining four members chartered the Mountain West in 1999.

On Saturday, Dec. 1, New Mexico State will travel to Texas State on Dec. 1 to play the final WAC football game.
  • CaribbeanJoseph
    I Can Score Goals
    • Dec 2008

Comment

• St. Francisco
      45-35 Never Forget
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MikeChase27
      So where will these teams go?
      What teams? Read the damn article...it's fucking two paragraphs.

Comment

• ram29jackson
        Noob
        • Nov 2008

what ever...the MWC and the Pac 12 will get some new teams shortly

Comment

• packersfan4eva
          Ryan Luxem
          • Dec 2008

The beginning of Super Conferences...here we go.

Originally posted by Miggyfan99
          I would get fucked in the ass for WS tickets too... only if Miguel was playing though

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

Yet another awful, awful bi-product of the BCS. The dominoes of 'Super Conference Realignment' has resulted in killing a conference with a really fun history and tradition.

Disgusting.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Gamblers loved the old WAC, many a bad Saturday was saved by chasing WAC overs and watching the scoreboard light up on ESPN into early Sunday morning.

Comment

• St. Francisco
                45-35 Never Forget
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by MikeChase27
                Calm the fuck down 69ers fan shit its just WAC football nothing to get pissed about.
                Your insults are both clever and hurtful.

Comment

• cf24
                  WESTBROOK
                  • Feb 2009

For some odd reason, I've had a hatred for Louisiana Tech for the past few years. Now with them moving into the C-USA, I can hate them and have it be justified(Tulsa(my team) is in C-USA).

You knew it would happen once Boise left, though.

Comment

• TheImmortalGoud
                    No longer a noob
                    • Jan 2011

Sucks to see my favorite conference come to an end, but we all knew it was over once Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii left. Gonna miss watching Hawaii and New Mexico State at 3 AM on an ESPN affiliate. Oh well.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                      Highwayman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                      Gamblers loved the old WAC, many a bad Saturday was saved by chasing WAC overs and watching the scoreboard light up on ESPN into early Sunday morning.
                      I know a former Hawaii player under June Jones...theyfelt pride by being gambl0rs saving grace as the last game of a college football week.

They knew lots of money was placed late in the day, often, on Hawaii football overs...so...they would go out there and score as much as possible.

True Story.

These days, Conference USA gives you that old WAC vibe, especially come conference play.

Comment

• NAHSTE
                        Probably owns the site
                        • Feb 2009

As much as it sucks to see the WAC disappear, it's probably good for the strength of college football to consolidate the "mid-major" teams into the Mountain West and C-USA. Gonna miss the WAC, but this all started when 7 of the founding members split to form the MWC 10 years ago. The WAC was a goofy little conference, and produced a ton of good college coaches (Houston Nutt, Dennis Erickson, Lavelle Edwards, Fisher DeBerry, etc.), but it has never been stable. Remember in the mid 90s when they expanded to 16 teams and it was a gigantic clusterfuck? That was fun.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                          RIP West
                          • Jul 2009

Sad to see the Wac dissolve, but I really don't see Idaho making it as an independent. They will not be able to attract teams to play in the Kibbie Dome and will have to fill out their schedule with bodybag games. They won't be getting back to a bowl game this way and will probably end up dropping back to the Big Sky unless something changes. Not sure of New Mexico State's situation, but I feel sorry for fans of these schools.

Comment

• Glenbino
                            Jelly and Ice Cream
                            • Nov 2009

When Texas State doesn't even want in it's probably time to call it a day I guess..

Comment

• Golden Taters
                              RIP West
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ram29jackson
                              what ever...the MWC and the Pac 12 will get some new teams shortly
                              You really think the Pac 12 is interested in Idaho, New Mexico State, Louisiana Tech, San Jose State, Utah State, UTSA or Texas State?

Wat.

Comment

Working...