Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Carlos Rogers believes Jets quit

One of the worst defensive performances in Rex Ryan's coaching career turned even worse Tuesday night, when San Francisco 49ers cornerback Carlos Rogers accused the New York Jets of quitting late in Sunday's 34-0 blowout.

"Yeah, you could see it happening," Rogers told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It kind of shocked me because a lot of guys on (our) sideline were saying, 'They don't want to tackle, they don't want to do this, they don't want to do that.'

"That's a Rex Ryan defense," he continued. "That's a Rex Ryan team ... and his defense, you know, plays throughout. That was the shocking point about it."

Rogers, who scored on a 51-yard fumble return, also said, "It really kind of shocked me to see that them guys were really just ready to get in the shower."

Rogers said he knew it was over once they opened a comfortable lead. "I know, looking at their defense, they didn't want to be out there," he said. "After that, it was like, 'Man, these guys really don't want to play the game. It's pretty much over.' "

That's a scathing indictment of the Jets, who allowed 245 rushing yards -- the largest amount in Ryan's 52 games as the Jets' coach. Nine different players carried the ball for the 49ers, including backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who ran for 50 yards and a touchdown.

After the game, Ryan was livid, saying, "I apologize for my language because I was going to say we got our butt kicked, but we got our a-- kicked. There's no two ways, ins or outs about it."

On Monday, Ryan counted 17 missed tackles by his defense, saying that for the first time in his career he actually wanted the opponent to pass the ball against his defense.

The Jets (2-2) are ranked 31st in rushing defense, surrendering 173 yards per game. It doesn't get any easier for the Jets, who face the undefeated Houston Texans on Monday night at MetLife Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...fensive-effort
  • f16harm
    -
    • Feb 2009

season =

Comment

• jms493
      • Feb 2009

"Kings" of New York........

Comment

• Rudi
        #CyCueto
        • Nov 2008

Not sure what I enjoy more...the Jets being terrible or Tony Romo throwing 5 picks. Both are equally awesome.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

I honestly get the feeling Ryan was livid and completely against many of the off season moves. I dont think he feels this is the best team he could have had and its shown in his demeanor since pre season. I think its having a trickle down effect. Jets F.O basically said we have no faith in our starting QB and everything since has been downhill.
          Put Jesus' favorite in at QB and get back into the playoff hunt.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Juggernaut
            Sitting on the Sidelines
            • Dec 2008

Just End The Season

Losing Revis hurt, badly. Revis when healthy is imo (biased some), the most important defensive player in the league. Without him, our entire identity changes. We no longer can just stick Revis on their best wide reciever, now we have to commit 2 guys on their best which opens up the defense to slot guys and tight ends. Without him, we can't afford to send a blitzer.

Our defense was really what was making our offense decent and manageable. With the defense changed, we need to lean on our offense, and that's just not possible with the weapons we have now. Sanchez is a decent qb, he had the potential to be good but a lack of options probably ruined his chances. Keller being hurt really hurt Mark, Holmes seemingly quitting on some games hurt us, Shonn Greene not being the #1 guy we thought hurt us, horrid use of Tebow hurt us.

I'm not counting out a 9-7 season, but 8-8 or 7-9 seems more likely. Not good enough to get into the playoffs, not bad enough to get a great pick. Only silver lining is that there are more "solid" picks at all levels of the draft.

Not like the Jets will pick the safe picks, instead we'll go for the "high risk, high reward" type of players.

Sanchez can stay, but we need better better players at the skill positions, wr and hb. Hill can be a sold #2 guy, but we need a good #1.

Comment

• Villain
              [REDACTED]
              • May 2011

I fucking hate when Chris Berman says "New York Football Jets."

Honestly it's dumb enough when he says "Football Giants" but at least there used to be a "Baseball Giants" in NY. Maybe he's worried that someone's grandparents might get confused about which Giants he's referring to...

Or maybe he's just a giant asshole spewing shit all day.
              [REDACTED]

Comment

• f16harm
                -
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Juggernaut
                Sanchez is a decent qb, he had the potential to be good but a lack of options probably ruined his chances. Keller being hurt really hurt Mark,
                No.

Mark Sanchez fucking sucks. A good game here or there does not constitute a decent or good QB. His career numbers, across all games, are terrible. He has a 73 QB rating, nearly 1:1 TD:INT ratio, 31 total fumbles, and 55% completion percentage for his career. If it wasn't for a good defense/run game his first year and most of is second, Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez would have been run out of town a year ago because their record would have been awful. The Jets are regressing each year instead of progressing.

A friend of mine just sent me an interesting article last week regarding league QBs and how they truly contribute to their teams success. The main focus of the article was showing how Flacco is a fraud. It was very interesting and great work on the writer's part. He reviewed stats over multiple years for how QBs attributed to offensive output, and how that teams defense performed in regards to giving up points. He developed an equation that showed which QBs truly win games for their teams by performing positively on offense as opposed to just relying on their defense to hold opponents to low scores. This in turn showed who the "best" and "worst" QBs technically are. Guess who the two worst QBs in the league are over the past few years years for contributing to their teams wins?

1. Joe Flacco
                2. Mark Sanchez.

Best.
                1. Tom Brady
                2. Peyton Manning

I'll see if I can have him find the article again tomorrow.

Comment

• SethMode
                  Master of Mysticism
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by f16harm
                  No.

Mark Sanchez fucking sucks. A good game here or there does not constitute a decent or good QB. His career numbers, across all games, are terrible. He has a 73 QB rating, nearly 1:1 TD:INT ratio, 31 total fumbles, and 55% completion percentage for his career. If it wasn't for a good defense/run game his first year and most of is second, Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez would have been run out of town a year ago because their record would have been awful. The Jets are regressing each year instead of progressing.

A friend of mine just sent me an interesting article last week regarding league QBs and how they truly contribute to their teams success. The main focus of the article was showing how Flacco is a fraud. It was very interesting and great work on the writer's part. He reviewed stats over multiple years for how QBs attributed to offensive output, and how that teams defense performed in regards to giving up points. He developed an equation that showed which QBs truly win games for their teams by performing positively on offense as opposed to just relying on their defense to hold opponents to low scores. This in turn showed who the "best" and "worst" QBs technically are. Guess who the two worst QBs in the league are over the past few years years for contributing to their teams wins?

1. Joe Flacco
                  2. Mark Sanchez.

Best.
                  1. Tom Brady
                  2. Peyton Manning

Pretty sure this is the one:

Comment

• f16harm
                    -
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SethMode
                    Yes, that's it. I may have been a bit off in my exact explanation of the calculation, but now everyone can read what I was trying to say.

Comment

• RosettaStoned
                      Throbbing Tebowner
                      • Oct 2008

No.

1. Joe Flacco
                      2. Mark Sanchez.

Best.
                      1. Tom Brady
                      2. Peyton Manning

As a Steelers fan that watches Flacco play twice against my team and numerous other times a year.. that article is crap. I hate the Ravens with a passion but their woes are not Flacco's fault. So many drops on that team.
                      So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

-Alan Aragon

Comment

• Maynard
                        stupid ass titles
                        • Feb 2009

i like the jets, i like rex ryan...but i hate how NY gets so much media attention. i understand that they are the #1 market and would garner alot of media for ratings....but i still dont like it.
                        it disgusts me how everytime i turn around their is some story on the jets or the giants.

its even more disgusting that the jets front office cares more about making the front page than making a winner

Comment

• f16harm
                          -
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by RosettaStoned
                          As a Steelers fan that watches Flacco play twice against my team and numerous other times a year.. that article is crap. I hate the Ravens with a passion but their woes are not Flacco's fault. So many drops on that team.
                          As a person who lives near Baltimore and in Ravens country, and who literally sits 20ft from the wife of a Ravens Super fan inducted in the NFL Hall of Fame....your post showed that you didn't read the article very well. It says nothing about a teams problems, and that Joe Flacco is it. It's attempting to provide evidence that Joe Flacco isn't the top 5 QB he and Ravens fans think he is because of his W-L record, and that he actually does very little to have an affect on all the wins he has been given credit for. My guess is, this is the reason why the Ravens haven't given him the big contract yet

Comment

• ralaw
                            Posts too much
                            • Feb 2009

As a person who lives near Baltimore and in Ravens country, and who literally sits 20ft from the wife of a Ravens Super fan inducted in the NFL Hall of Fame....your post showed that you didn't read the article very well. It says nothing about a teams problems, and that Joe Flacco is it. It's attempting to provide evidence that Joe Flacco isn't the top 5 QB he and Ravens fans think he is because of his W-L record, and that he actually does very little to have an affect on all the wins he has been given credit for. My guess is, this is the reason why the Ravens haven't given him the big contract yet
                            Any Ravens fan that thinks Flacco is a top 5 QB is an idiot, but with that comment I think you are embellishing a bit, but that's just my opinion.

I actually read that article, but IMO it also clouded over the fact that when Flacco was drafted the team was built around the defense....an extremely strong defense at that. So, much like Trent Dilfer's run to a championship Flacco's job was to not turn the ball over, play safe, hand the ball off, etc. This really shouldn't be much of a surprise for young QB playing with a strong defense. Any idiot could tell that the Ravens success over the past 15 years has been centered around Ray Lewis and the defense. Ray Lewis use to always say that if the offense could get him a touchdown the Ravens could win the game. The article failed to realize that the team as a whole is in the process of transitioning into a offensive focused team, which is directly tied to Flacco's development.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ralaw
                              The article failed to realize that the team as a whole is in the process of transitioning into a offensive focused team, which is directly tied to Ray Lewis's age.
                              Fixed it for ya.
                              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

Working...