Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Suggs returning to Ravens defense by Nov 4th

Terrell Suggs is rehabbing from April surgery for a partially torn Achilles tendon, and sources say he hopes to return in time for the Baltimore Ravens' Oct. 21 game against the Houston Texans.

Hensley: Tough Decision For Ravens
    It's understandable the Ravens would be cautious with Terrell Suggs' return but it's tough not to let him play against the Texans on Oct. 21 since it could be Baltimore's biggest non-division game left, Jamison Hensley writes. Blog

But Ravens coach John Harbaugh plans to add one week after his medical staff says Suggs is ready, because he wants Suggs hitting form in January.

So with a bye Oct. 28, Suggs' most realistic return date is Nov. 4, with a Nov. 18 matchup against the division rival Pittsburgh Steelers looming.

In early June, Suggs said he would return by the end of November at the latest. Suggs then was noncommittal on that timetable a few weeks later, saying, "Maybe we were shooting too far, but you never know."

The Ravens placed Suggs on the physically unable to perform list to start the season, meaning he was ineligible for Baltimore's first six games of the season.

Suggs had 14 sacks last season in helping the Ravens reach the AFC title game. He was voted The Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...th-sources-say
    Suggs will be a help on defense for the Ravens, but they are also really missing Jarret Johnson and Cory Redding, who departed this off-season via FA.
  • Bmore
    The True Free-Man
    • Oct 2008

Suggs will take a couple games to really get into a groove anyway. Courtney Upshaw and Paul Kruger collectively have been playing pretty well in his place. I can agree to a certain extent that Corey Redding and JJ are big holes. But I think majority of the blame has to be put on Dean Pees, even when he was the Patriots D-coordinator he didn't blitz much. Infact I personally believe Cam Cameron and Dean Pees need to be canned. C.B. (Clarence Brooks) should have gotten our D-coordinator job IMO. He may not have had the experience factor but, he has the same personality as Rex Ryan and he coaches the same.

Teams are starting to test our stamina with the no-huddle and we are failing horribly. I'm honestly starting to think our age and lack of athleticism is getting to us.

Comment

• Bmore
      The True Free-Man
      • Oct 2008

oh and not to mention The D is unexperienced.
      This year, we have nine players who have a year of starting experience on D.
      Mcphee, Kruger, Upshaw, Albert, Art, and Kindle have never started ever. They will get better as the season goes on.

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
        Formerly ravensownall17
        • Feb 2009

I don't think they miss Johnson, who has basically been invisible for the Chargers, as much as they do Redding. They replaced Redding with the dynamic duo of McPhee and Jones, who are awful against the run and in having to be more full time type of players, are not nearly as good in the pass rush as they were last year. Redding was a stud against the run and came off on third downs to allow McPhee to pressure and collect 6 sacks last year. They replaced Johnson with Upshaw, who by all accounts has been as advertised and even if he isn't at Johnson's level yet, rapidly progressing to that.

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
          Formerly ravensownall17
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Bmore
          Mcphee, Kruger, Upshaw, Albert, Art, and Kindle have never started ever. They will get better as the season goes on.
          I don't think any of those guys, other than Upshaw, are starting caliber players, which is a big reason the defense has been poor this year. Kindle is going to get cut as soon as Suggs is ready to return, Art Jones is a scrub, Albert/McPhee/Kruger are guys who have value but not as starters or full time players...Kruger and McPhee need to be situational rushers like they were last year.

Doesn't stop there, I don't think McClain or Ellerbe are very good players, Cody was so good he got replaced by 30+ year old Kemoeatu, who has been awful too, and Jimmy Smith hasn't really developed as hoped to this point, but it is still early on him. The Ravens have not been able to bring in the quality of defensive player recently they had been able to in the past. Part of that is because they've been winning, so they haven't had the chance every couple years to get that one high pick, like a Suggs or a Ngata...

Comment

• Bmore
            The True Free-Man
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
            I don't think any of those guys, other than Upshaw, are starting caliber players, which is a big reason the defense has been poor this year. Kindle is going to get cut as soon as Suggs is ready to return, Art Jones is a scrub, Albert/McPhee/Kruger are guys who have value but not as starters or full time players...Kruger and McPhee need to be situational rushers like they were last year.

Doesn't stop there, I don't think McClain or Ellerbe are very good players, Cody was so good he got replaced by 30+ year old Kemoeatu, who has been awful too, and Jimmy Smith hasn't really developed as hoped to this point, but it is still early on him. The Ravens have not been able to bring in the quality of defensive player recently they had been able to in the past. Part of that is because they've been winning, so they haven't had the chance every couple years to get that one high pick, like a Suggs or a Ngata...
            Totally agree except for the Jimmy Smith comment. Maybe I'm a bit irrational but, I truly think Cary Williams hasn't played very well and has given up tons of 1st downs on top of many penalties. I want to see Jimmy in at the 2nd spot and Cary in at Nickle. Don't get me wrong, Cary has shown flashes of brilliance (IE: the INT against Cleveland). However, I think for the most part he has underperformed, then again it could be the lack of pass rush that has left him on an island... idk.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by BazookaJoe5
              I don't think they miss Johnson, who has basically been invisible for the Chargers, as much as they do Redding. They replaced Redding with the dynamic duo of McPhee and Jones, who are awful against the run and in having to be more full time type of players, are not nearly as good in the pass rush as they were last year. Redding was a stud against the run and came off on third downs to allow McPhee to pressure and collect 6 sacks last year. They replaced Johnson with Upshaw, who by all accounts has been as advertised and even if he isn't at Johnson's level yet, rapidly progressing to that.
              The Ravens have been a system for many players. For a guy like Johnson to go somewhere and underachieve, it doesn't surprise me. Remember when you all drafted Suggs and people thought he would be a bust? Now he may arguably be one of the best defensive players in the league. The Ravens are struggling to get containment on the outside, and that is hurting them. It's a combination of not having Suggs playing, but also losing Redding and Johnson.

I do agree with getting a defensive coordinator as well, someone who is aggressive, but they definitely need to improve their run defense as well.

Comment

• Aso
                The Serious House
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bmore
                This post.

Unexperienced but extremely talented defense. They have not been incredible but they have been good and WILL get better.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                  No longer a noob
                  • Apr 2011

I liked Kindle, McPhee, and Kruger. Kindle may never be the same player again, though. He certainly hasn't seemed like a difference maker in the time I've seen him in the pros. Kruger seems like he could be a starter down the road, but McPhee could max out as a situational rusher. All of these guys look a lot better if Suggs comes in and goes off like he was last year, though.

Comment

Working...