Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Sources: Peyton's arm strength has "stabilized"

This has been the narrative involving the arm strength of Peyton Manning: His arm is gaining power all the time. It gets better weekly, and by the end of the season, it will be close to normal, if not totally so.

That's the narrative. Since in many ways what Manning is doing is uncharted territory, the prevailing narrative could easily be accurate. We just don't know and Manning has rarely offered specifics of just how his arm is coping with multiple neck surgeries. There is also no question that Manning is still very good.

But there is an alternative narrative developing in some team circles when it comes to Manning's arm strength. Team and player sources from the franchises Manning has played this season say his arm strength has not improved, but rather, at best, has stabilized.

These sources, who requested anonymity, while saying that Manning is still a great and feared player, also say there is little doubt that Manning's arm is considerably less powerful than generally known.

One team source claimed that he cataloged numerous Manning throws going back to when he was in college at Tennessee. The source said Manning has always had one of the most accurate deep arms in NFL and college history.

Now, the source explained, film work shows Manning has trouble connecting accurately on deep passes over 30 yards. It's not that he can't do it, or never does. It's that, for now, he can't do it consistently.

One source on a team the Broncos recently played estimated Manning's arm strength at 70-80 percent. Another source on a different team said 80 percent. Another source said 75.

The consistent opinion among the sources who have studied Manning extensively on film is that his arm isn't getting stronger. One source believes the arm strength is even slightly weaker. I find the latter claim to be dubious but what happened in New England this past weekend was indeed interesting.

Manning had only four completions that went more than 20 yards (one was a perfect bomb for 43) but the vast majority of his passes against New England were in the 5-yard range from the line of scrimmage.

One deep throw fluttered like I've rarely seen a Manning pass do. In fact, though I'm sure it's happened, I can't recall ever seeing a Manning pass flutter like that, and I've watched him closely since he came into the league.

"With Peyton's situation, I think they're over-magnified," John Elway, the Broncos general manager, told the media last week, referring to Manning's lack of deep passes. "I think every quarterback throws balls that flutter every game, and I think that there is some over-magnification when they look at Peyton. I do not have any concerns, as it continues to get better week in and week out. The strength continues to get better. As he continues to do his rehab, we'll see that grow."

Something also needs to be made crystal clear. None of the sources talked about Manning with malice. The feelings about Manning are quite the opposite. There is a great deal of respect for him. The sources spoke because they were asked and then they answered. Simple as that.

The same people who wonder about Manning's arm strength also said Elway deserves executive of the year for signing him away from teams that tried after Manning went on his tour this summer (something I agree with).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...ot-peytonesque
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

a superstar is rehabing from an injury = big deal

even half ass he is still better then a majority of the league.

they said high school kids were out throwing him deep at a summer camp he hosted...so what?

Comment

• Bane
      Noob
      • Oct 2012

yea his arm looked horrible some plays vs the Falcons. glad we got him early in the season rather than late.

Comment

• Glenbino
        Jelly and Ice Cream
        • Nov 2009

Won't mean a thing if Willis McGahee can't hang onto the ball and the Denver defense can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Comment

• Len B
          :moonwalk:
          • Oct 2008

Sources: No shit

Last three games:

8 touchdowns, 1013 yards, 0 interceptions

Comment

• Rudi
            #CyCueto
            • Nov 2008

The man still has it. Been putting up great numbers recently.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Len B
              Sources: No shit

Last three games:

8 touchdowns, 1013 yards, 0 interceptions
              The purpose of the article is that there are some people who believe Peyton's arm is only 75-80% of what it was before missing all of last season.

That being said, he's still putting up some good numbers and a Peyton Manning at 80% of his arm strength is still a top QB in the NFL.

Comment

Working...