X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wr50l
    Glen & CJ are secret Huns
    • Oct 2008

Hypothetical: Regarding fans and concussions

The verdict on players seems to be that they are brave/idiotic still. But I want to see what people think would happen to a player who was vocal in their concerns about receiving concussions.

Let's say we have a college player, wide receiver who has the talent where he falls in the late 1st/early 2nd range selection range. This player has suffered a concussion in the past but no major injury concerns.

In this scenario the player's plans have become clear. Due to the dangers of the game he plans to play somewhere around 5-7 years in the league at most. He states that if he does suffer another bad concussion at any time then he will strongly consider immediate retirement.

How do you think this will affect his draft position? How do you think other players would react to this? What would you as a fan think of his choice, particularly if your team drafted him?
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

the average player doesnt last 3 years. No one will care what he says. Some last a long time, some dont. You just draft and hope for the best

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

When there are concerns over whether or not he will play, or continue to play, his draft stock will drop, obviously, so the guy leaves money on the table. I know this was a hypothetical, but I don't see this happening, though there could be an exception.

I'm not sure how the players will react. I am sure some will understand, where James Harrison just came out and said he has had "double digit" concussions and admitted as a younger player, he played through them.

As for fans, most of the people posting at a place like VSN aren't the average fan. I would understand it, as I've had family members make it in the NFL, try to make it in the NFL, and have also coached and played in college and high schools, but I'm not the average fan. The average fan is a "what have you done for me lately?" and probably doesn't care one way or the other.

Comment

Working...