X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PEYMAN18
    Suhn.
    • Jan 2009

Raiders waive Aaron Curry

What does it say about a starting linebacker who was cut from a team that has allowed 135 points in the past three games?

That’s up to Aaron Curry to explain.

In a mild surprise, the Oakland Raiders cut the linebacker Tuesday. Curry has been active the past two games after spending most of the season on the physically unable to perform list with knee issues.

He didn’t make much of an impact, although he did rack up more than $23,000 in fines in his first game back, against Baltimore, in Week 10.

Oakland still owes Seattle a fifth-round pick in 2013. It gave the Seahawks a seventh-round pick in the 2012 draft for Curry. The trade was made by former Oakland coach Hue Jackson last October. The Raiders acquired Curry, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2009 draft, with the hopes of igniting his career.

Curry was an enthusiastic player and he made some plays for Oakland last year. But he was inconsistent and often plays out of control. The new staff never appeared enamored with Curry.

Rookie Miles Burris has been a solid starter, so instead of hoping Curry can be a difference-maker on a weak defense, the Raiders decided to cut their losses and move on.

Lmao. I remember when some Lions fans wanted to take him 1st overall over Stafford.
  • Rudi
    #CyCueto
    • Nov 2008

Safest pick of the draft, no chance he'll bust!

Comment

• mgoblue2290
      Posts too much
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by PEYMAN18
      Lmao. I remember when some Lions fans wanted to take him 1st overall over Stafford.
      While Stafford has proved to be better, lets not act like he's doing good things this year.

Comment

• Realist
        • Mar 2009

I rememeber when Hasselbeck(the vsn member) was all on his nuts at the time of the draft.

Comment

• Aso
          The Serious House
          • Nov 2008

He's done shit. Was on PUP and Miles Burris has been good and has taken over passing down snaps even.

Comment

• Raidersabc123
            Wakka Wakka
            • Dec 2008

He looked good last year when we first got him. Him being hurt all this year and Burris stepping up really killed his time here.
            THe MaDDeN GoD

Comment

• Hasselbeck
              Jus' bout dat action boss
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Realist
              I rememeber when Hasselbeck(the vsn member) was all on his nuts at the time of the draft.

AFTER the draft.

I wanted Crabtree the whole time
              Originally posted by ram29jackson
              I already said months ago that Seattle wasn't winning any SB

Comment

• Apocalypse
                • Nov 2008

I definitely thought he would've been a sure pick, lol. I wonder if anyone will sign him.

RIP West

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                  I definitely thought he would've been a sure pick, lol. I wonder if anyone will sign him.
                  I thought that too. Most linebackers and OT's are surefire picks as producers. That year, both Curry and Jason Smith went in the top four, and both are considered busts at this point- very odd.

What sucks even more about Curry is that Brian Orakpo, Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews were all taken later in the first round.

Comment

• Yawkey Way
                    Free World Leader
                    • Oct 2008

I wouldn't say that Curry is like any of those three linebackers. Wasn't he viewed as the "safe, steady, all around linebacker?" SOmehow along the way that turned into the linebacker who wasn't disciplined to his gaps and played out of control. Thanks, kiper.

Comment

• JeremyHight
                      I wish I was Scrubs
                      • Feb 2009

There is always going to be a "surefire", "safe" pick in every draft according to experts. Robert Gallery was one, Aaron Curry was another. AJ Hawk was one and you can argue he has underperformed for his career, too. All it does is show how little anyone knows about these guys and their transition to the pros.

Comment

• Bmore
                        The True Free-Man
                        • Oct 2008

Honestly I wouldn't be against the Ravens taking a look at Curry and putting him behind Kruger. Won't happen though, seeing as outside of Sergio Kindle, Ozzie Newsome doesn't really take in busts after they've been in the league for awhile.

Comment

Working...