Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Ryan doesn't think his future is tied to Jets QB situation

Often we see situations around the NFL where the futures of various coaches and general managers are tied to quarterbacks. It's a quarterback-driven league, so this shouldn't be surprising.

But Rex Ryan doesn't believe this holds true in his case, saying Thursday that he doesn't think his "future's tied" to how the Jets "do things" at the quarterback position.

"Obviously we need to win,” Ryan said Thursday. "This is a big decision. [A big factor] in determining wins and losses is the play of your quarterback a lot of times. But no, I don't feel that my future's tied in with how we do things [with the quarterback]."

Let's examine this statement really quickly, because Rex manages to be both correct and incorrect.

He is correct in that the quarterback position does not directly impact his job security. Whether it's Mark Sanchez, Tom Brady, Tim Tebow, Ryan Lindley, Greg McElroy or even Joe Namath is irrelevant for Ryan personally ... as long as he's winning games. His job security is directly correlated to wins, and, if he's winning, he won't lose his job.

However, Ryan is incorrect to a certain degree, because quarterback, more than any other position in the NFL today, influences wins. His win-loss total will be directly impacted by the play of his quarterback. This isn't any less true just because he has a good defense or a good running game. (Or doesn't, as the case may be right now.)

And if Ryan continues to trot out quarterbacks who don't help him win games, the bottom line is that his future will be tied to the quarterback position.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...s-qb-situation
  • MrBill
    Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
    • Feb 2009

He is a bigger fool than I thought if he doesn't realize his future as a coach is directly tied to Sanchez's performance at QB.

Comment

• bucky
      #50? WTF?
      • Feb 2009

Did Ryan draft him? You would think that the GM's job would be tied to Dirty's performance more than Ryan's.

Comment

• Houston
        Back home
        • Oct 2008

Well this is the same guy who chooses to start Mark Sanchez, so you can't expect much from him.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
          aka Reece
          • Apr 2009

Rex has a good chance to come back...I think Tanny is on the outs...
          Originally posted by Nick Mangold
          Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• BazookaJoe5
            Formerly ravensownall17
            • Feb 2009

This is even funnier when you remember that Ryan worked under Brian Billick, who was fired basically almost entirely due to the Kyle Boller fiasco.

Comment

• titanreese
              Defense = Championships!!
              • Jul 2012

Believe in McElroy 2012!

But But coach!! I was suppose to be the star QB
              14 National Championships :jhenbeatkwon:

Comment

Working...