Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

ESPN's Parker suspended for comments about RGIII

ESPN has suspended commentator Rob Parker for 30 days for comments he made about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III during a Dec. 13 episode of "First Take."

Parker
    The suspension comes one day after Parker issued an apology on his Twitter account. On the show, he was discussing Griffin's answer to a question about Griffin's role as an African-American quarterback, and Parker questioned Griffin's "blackness," citing that the player has a white fiancée and is rumored to be Republican.

Among his comments, Parker, who is black, said: "Is he a brother or a cornball brother?"

In his apology, Parker said he reached out to Griffin's agent with the hope of apologizing to Griffin directly.

"I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry," Parker posted on Twitter. "I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care."

ESPN issued a statement Thursday announcing the suspension.

"Our review of the preparation for the show and the re-air has established that mistakes both in judgment and communication were made," said Marcia Keegan, vice president of production for ESPN who oversees "First Take." "As a direct result, clearly inappropriate content was aired and then re-aired without editing. Both were errors on our part. To address this, we have enhanced the editorial oversight of the show and have taken appropriate disciplinary measures with the personnel responsible for these failures.

"We will continue to discuss important issues in sports on 'First Take,' including race. Debate is an integral part of sports and we will continue to engage in it on 'First Take.' However, we believe what we have learned here and the steps we have taken will help us do all that better."

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...d-espn-30-days
    Just 30 days? I thought it would have been more for that.
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

"Is he a brother or a cornball brother?"
    while its stupid LOL its not suspension worthy. What A bunch of dweebs. I dont see any racial slur problems here.

meanwhile a black defensive lineman will yell " we gonna fuckin take you down today nigga" at RG III during a game on the field of play and no one will be punished for it.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
      War Hero
      • May 2012

Originally posted by ram29jackson
      while its stupid LOL its not suspension worthy. What A bunch of dweebs. I dont see any racial slur problems here.

meanwhile a black defensive lineman will yell " we gonna fuckin take you down today nigga" at RG III during a game on the field of play and no one will be punished for it.

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

imagine a white reporter questioning a white mans whiteness because he was dating a black woman

yeah, i just made ramjackson look like a dumbass. not really a difficult task but still noteworthy

Comment

• Argath
          $2 whore
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
          imagine a white reporter questioning a white mans whiteness because he was dating a black woman

yeah, i just made ramjackson look like a dumbass. not really a difficult task but still noteworthy
          I think you made yourself look like a dumbass

Stephen A. Smith said it best right after the comments during the show. There's a difference between talking in your barbershop and talking on national television. There are certain things you can and cannot say, whether you like it or not. There was no reason to start talking about RGIII being engaged to white woman or anything of the sort. Hell, there's no reason to talk about RGIII's "blackness" it has nothing to do with sports. The show is ESPN First Take not Maury or Jerry Springer. Besides, since when do you assume the ethnicity of your spouse? There was no need to go there at all. 30 day suspension is definitely warranted for this tard. Same guy who tried to say Stephen A. Smith supported drunk driving because Smith said there was nothing wrong with having a beer at a football game. Shoulda canned his ass.

Comment

• ram29jackson
            Noob
            • Nov 2008

Comment

• dave
              Go the fuck outside
              • Oct 2008

ESPN goes out of its way to promote these buffoons, but the second they go 100% buffoon, they're suspended?
              My guess is he's getting full pay and this is just ESPN's way of saying they don't want their hosts calling someone a house N-word, when they really do.
              If this guy deserves a 30-day suspension, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless deserve to be executed ... and their NFL Sunday crew, save for Tom Jackson, deserves one year suspensions.
              My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Maynard
                stupid ass titles
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Argath

Stephen A. Smith said it best right after the comments during the show. There's a difference between talking in your barbershop and talking on national television. There are certain things you can and cannot say, whether you like it or not. There was no reason to start talking about RGIII being engaged to white woman or anything of the sort. Hell, there's no reason to talk about RGIII's "blackness" it has nothing to do with sports. The show is ESPN First Take not Maury or Jerry Springer. Besides, since when do you assume the ethnicity of your spouse? There was no need to go there at all. 30 day suspension is definitely warranted for this tard. Same guy who tried to say Stephen A. Smith supported drunk driving because Smith said there was nothing wrong with having a beer at a football game. Shoulda canned his ass.
                you are quoting smith....need i say more?

Comment

• Argath
                  $2 whore
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
                  you are quoting smith....need i say more?
                  What did smith say that was wrong in this situation exactly?

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                    No longer a noob
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by dave
                    ESPN goes out of its way to promote these buffoons, but the second they go 100% buffoon, they're suspended?
                    My guess is he's getting full pay and this is just ESPN's way of saying they don't want their hosts calling someone a house N-word, when they really do.
                    If this guy deserves a 30-day suspension, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless deserve to be executed ... and their NFL Sunday crew, save for Tom Jackson, deserves one year suspensions.
                    They pay them TO say this stupid shit. Suspended? Get real. ESPN is all calculated shit to get these lowest common denominator morons to talk about THEIR "personalities" instead of *gasp* actual sports! I don't buy for one goddamn second that they punished Parker at all. They love that someone on their network created a stir, and is now getting talked about by people to stupid to see through the BS that they manufacture. This is what they do now. The funny part is Parker is pretty much just their lap-dog, stirring the pot for them because that's what they want. If anybody is a house niglet, it's him.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Stephen A Smith, the same guy who called Kobe Bryant "nigga" on the air ("Kobe, are you telling me a toe injury is going to keep you out if the lineup? Nigga, please!"), and then refused to admit it ("I speak fast, and people may have misunderstood a word I used"), being the arbiter of acceptable on air vernacular is pretty rich.

Comment

• Argath
                        $2 whore
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Stephen A Smith, the same guy who called Kobe Bryant "nigga" on the air ("Kobe, are you telling me a toe injury is going to keep you out if the lineup? Nigga, please!"), and then refused to admit it ("I speak fast, and people may have misunderstood a word I used"), being the arbiter of acceptable on air vernacular is pretty rich.
                        Not sayin man is perfect or even a good sports analyst just sayin he's right in this situation

Besides if being engaged to a white woman is cause for losing your "blackness" then I'm pretty sure there's only a few hundred black men in the US

Comment

• ralaw
                          Posts too much
                          • Feb 2009

I agree, Parker crossed the line and should have been suspended for it. There certainly are conversations that go on in private, but you don't come on air and say them. Parker was an idiot. I highly doubt ESPN "planned" this. ESPN gets enough attention to have to plan something like this. Parker much like anyone else just has ideas and impressions about people and he was dumb enough to say it on air.

Comment

• Senser81
                            VSN Poster of the Year
                            • Feb 2009

Stephen A. Smith said it best
                            Irony. I stopped reading at this point of Argath's posting. Maybe his posting made sense, but I'll never know.

This situation reminds me of ESU starting tailback Ray Griffen II dating a white girl and having his blackness questioned by backup tailback Darnell Jefferson.

Hmm...Ray Griffen II...Robert Griffin III...COINCIDENCE??????

Comment

• BigBucs
                              Unpretentious
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              Wasnt calling him a nigga (even though he did say it) ...... continue on.

Comment

Working...