Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Bill O'Brien on list of some NFL teams

As NFL owners and executives revisit the success of college coaches at the pro level, Penn State's Bill O'Brien may be on more short lists than Oregon's Chip Kelly and that would include the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources.

O'Brien would not necessarily jump at any NFL opportunity but if he did leave Penn State it would qualify as a surprise after the former Patriots offensive coordinator was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year in his first season as the Nittany Lions coach in 2012.

However, sources say teams that have gauged his interest have been informed by a third party representative that when O'Brien accepted the task of being the late Joe Paterno's successor, he was told by school officials that the Jerry Sandusky scandal was a criminal matter, not an NCAA concern. That proved to be bad information as Penn State was dealt a four-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions as part of its penalties.

O'Brien could not be reached for comment but the sources emphasized that he would not leave Penn State for just any NFL job.

He bypassed an opportunity to interview for the Jacksonville job last January.

Sources say that he has a significant buyout of $9.2 million but it is unknown whether it pertains to an NFL opportunity. The NCAA sanctions that O'Brien did not anticipate also could become a point of contention as it relates to a buyout, sources added.

Top-rated quarterback prospect and Penn State recruit Christian Hackenberg said Sunday he's confident that O'Brien would not leave the school for opportunities in the NFL.

"I mean, I'm hoping," Hackenberg said as he prepared to begin workouts on Monday for the Under Armour All-America Game at Disney's Wide World of Sports. "I've got my fingers crossed."

If O'Brien left before signing day on Feb. 6, Hackenberg said he would reconsider his options.

"I'd think about it," Hackenberg said. "He was a big part of it. He's the guy who's going to develop me. That's one of the big things I looked at. I'll see what happens."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...-teams-sources
    Given the sanctions that Penn State has, I could see O'Brien leaving. Not to a team like Jacksonville, who he turned down last season, but definitely to a team like Cleveland with new ownership and new direction. Anyone think he'll leave Penn State, and if so, where does he end up?
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

He has a 9 year contract with Penn State. Even if he kind of wanted to leave, he would be giving up a TON of security (as well as amazingly good press) to go be a coach in the NFL. I just don't see it happening, even if he is wanted by NFL teams.

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

Honestly think the only job in the NFL he'd leave for is to be Bill Belicheck's successor in New England.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
        Buckeye For Life
        • Dec 2008

There's been talk that he's sent out feelers when the sanctions first came down... not sure if that has changed, but in the immediate aftermath of the sanctions he was ready to bolt back to the league at season's end.

Comment

• Mogriffjr
          aka Reece
          • Apr 2009

I don't think BOB will leave after 1 year...
          Originally posted by Nick Mangold
          Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

He'd be a fool to leave. He has about five years of rope where the team can be really bad and he won't take any heat. After that, it's Penn St, so it's right back to being a powerhouse.

Plus if he bolts now, it's a PR nightmare for him. Bad timing.

Comment

• JimLeavy59
              War Hero
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
              He'd be a fool to leave. He has about five years of rope where the team can be really bad and he won't take any heat. After that, it's Penn St, so it's right back to being a powerhouse.

Nobody would question him for leaving Pedo State.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                2011 Poster Of The Year
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by JimLeavy59
                Nobody would question him for leaving Pedo State.
                Sure they would. He knew what he was getting into, and he made a real big deal out of the players who stayed being super loyal.

He'd look like a complete hypocrite.

Comment

• JeremyHight
                  I wish I was Scrubs
                  • Feb 2009

Sure they would. He knew what he was getting into, and he made a real big deal out of the players who stayed being super loyal.

People only care if you win or lose, see Nick Saban.

Comment

• BiggaAdams
                    • Jul 2009

His understanding of what was going at at Penn State was the Sandusky issue was a criminal matter and not an NCAA concern.

He does have a 9.2 mil buyout, not sure how it pertains to going to an NFL team and I'm sure they can work the whole Sandusky crap into getting out of the buyout if need be.

Comment

• Sportsbuck
                      Buckeye For Life
                      • Dec 2008

He knew what he was getting into
                      He had no idea his program would get slapped with the worst sanctions since SMU.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                        2011 Poster Of The Year
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by BiggaAdams
                        His understanding of what was going at at Penn State was the Sandusky issue was a criminal matter and not an NCAA concern.

He does have a 9.2 mil buyout, not sure how it pertains to going to an NFL team and I'm sure they can work the whole Sandusky crap into getting out of the buyout if need be.
                        Originally posted by Sportsbuck
                        He had no idea his program would get slapped with the worst sanctions since SMU.
                        Revisionist history.

There was talk Penn St was going to get the death penalty. If I recall, they got off easier than many people thought.

At the time a lot of people thought BOB was crazy for taking the job because of the uncertainty of whatever sanctions were coming. He knew exactly what he was getting into. He can't use that as the excuse if he leaves, or he's a douche.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                          Highwayman
                          • Feb 2009

I disagree...no one would question him leaving Penn State. He didn't know what kind of sanctions were going to come down from the NCAA...as far as he knew, there would be none and it'd be a criminal matter.

Comment

• Glenbino
                            Jelly and Ice Cream
                            • Nov 2009

PR in coaching doesn't mean anything if you win.

Nick Saban confirms.

Comment

• 1ke
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
                              • Mar 2009

What? No no no no no..... He would be smart to leave now. His stock is as high as its gonna get. And its Pedo U. Nobody will look twice. Hell, some might even praise him. he had no clue the football punishments were going to be what they were. Shit, why would he stay? He should bolt. get the fuck out of that creepy town.

Comment

Working...