X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheImmortalGoud
    No longer a noob
    • Jan 2011

Saints Player Shreds Steve Spagnuolo

Players throughout the season gave a uniform voice of support for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the drastically different scheme he brought to the team when the Saints hired him one year ago. That doesn't sound like the case anymore.

One Saints player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a "resounding" yes when asked if he thought Spagnuolo should be fired after just one season in New Orleans as the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. "(Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

"The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks."

"...the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed."

LOL @ this bum.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. "(Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things."

Same rep in STL. Nice guy to the media, total asswipe who everybody hated behind closed doors. He'll be coaching DB's for Andy Reid next season.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
      No longer a noob
      • Apr 2011

Not that I think Spags is very good, because based on his time in STL he very much was not. But seriously Saints, you need to shut the fuck up. As much as it can't all be talent, it also can't all be coaching. We all knew it was going to be a lost season for the Saints from the get-go. When you go out creating a stir and publicly pick out a scapegoat to the media, do you really think that is going to lead to ANYTHING positive? Vent to someone who actually cares, or put your name to it, you gutless moron.

Comment

• ram29jackson
        Noob
        • Nov 2008

too bad.. I had hope for the guy but his people skills aren there...yet.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
          He'll be coaching DB's for Andy Reid next season.
          Knowing Andy Reid, he'll probably have him coaching wide receivers.

Comment

• MrBill
            Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
            • Feb 2009

Saints players bitching to the media? I'm shocked.

Comment

• EmpireWF
              Giants in the Super Bowl
              • Mar 2009

Good on Vilma for calling this player out, but don't blame the writer.

Comment

• JeremyHight
                I wish I was Scrubs
                • Feb 2009

Spags is shit. Unless he has arguably the best DLine in the NFL (along with the depth to constantly keep them fresh), he cannot scheme for shit.

Comment

• Senser81
                  VSN Poster of the Year
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ram29jackson
                  too bad.. I had hope for the guy but his people skills aren there...yet.
                  Speaking on the condition of anonymity, one VSN poster said the exact same thing about you.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                    Noob
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Senser81
                    Speaking on the condition of anonymity, one VSN poster said the exact same thing about you.
                    another childish fool on VSN dislikes me ? So what ?

Comment

Working...