Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Cowboys looking at Monte Kiffin and Ray Horton for DC

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett have focused their search for a defensive coordinator on longtime NFL assistant Monte Kiffin, according to team and league sources.

It is unknown whether the 72-year-old Kiffin has been offered the job, but he has emerged as the leading candidate from a list that also includes Ray Horton, a former Cowboys player and current Cardinals defensive coordinator who has interviewed for several head-coaching positions recently.

If Kiffin is hired, the Cowboys would be switching from a 3-4 defensive front to a 4-3, forcing pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware to play defensive end, with his hand on the ground for the first time in his career.

Kiffin resigned as defensive coordinator at USC, where his son Lane is the head coach and expressed his desire to return to the NFL.

Jones, Garrett and Kiffin could not be reached for comment.

Andy Reid was interested in appointing Kiffin to be his defensive coordinator when he took over the Kansas City Chiefs but Kiffin was not interested in that opportunity.

Kiffin has been an NFL defensive coach for 26 years, half of those with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he helped the franchise win its only Super Bowl after Jon Gruden replaced Tony Dungy.

Garrett was a backup quarterback with the Bucs in 2004 when Kiffin was the defensive coordinator.

Kiffin is creator of the Tampa 2 defense and is mastermind of one of the most successful defenses in league history. The Bucs ranked in the top 10 in fewest yards and points allowed 10 times, a league record.

The Cowboys fired Rob Ryan on Tuesday after two seasons as defensive coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...ve-coordinator
  • JeremyHight
    I wish I was Scrubs
    • Feb 2009

I think you spelled Monte wrong.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by JeremyHight
      I think you spelled Monte wrong.
      Who the hell knows........I'm pretty damn exhausted and didn't catch that.

Comment

• Glenbino
        Jelly and Ice Cream
        • Nov 2009

Can't wait for Cowboys fans to tell me how either of these guys isn't a GIGANTIC upgrade over the lesser of the Ryan brothers.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• BigBucs
          Unpretentious
          • May 2009

Monte

Comment

• Derrville
            Dallas has no coaching...
            • Jul 2009

I knew the change to 4-3 was coming but with Kiffin at the helm... that would be awesome.

Comment

• Argath
              $2 whore
              • Apr 2009

Fuck I hope it's not monte

Comment

• SHOGUN
                4 WR 1 RB 0 TE. 24/7/365.
                • Jul 2009

Keep your filthy hands off my DC, you damned dirty apes.

"Sometimes I just want to be with my family and watch movie and eat some popcorn. But when I step on the mat I know there is no other place I'd rather be." - Marcelo Garcia

Comment

• Glenbino
                  Jelly and Ice Cream
                  • Nov 2009

If they're looking at DCs to just make a lateral move for more pay I'm surprised they're not looking at Del Rio too... He's done a great job this season.

Comment

• Diivox
                    It's the other way.
                    • Apr 2009

Horton is still under contract with the Cardinals. If for some reason he is not named the HC - which I expect him to be, but - The new HC will be told in no uncertain terms that Horton is still DC.

People crack me up when they call Horton a token Rooney Rule interview. The guy has head coach written all over him, aside from the questionable choice of corn rows at his age. From management to the fans to people like me who just live in the city, we all love him for how hard he had that defense playing even long after there was no hope for a playoff berth or even basic offensive production. he's not going anywhere.

Comment

• s@ppisgod
                      No longer a noob
                      • Apr 2011

Don't go to that franchise, Monte. You're better than that. Although it would be kinda awesome to see what he could do with Ware.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Diivox
                        Horton is still under contract with the Cardinals. If for some reason he is not named the HC - which I expect him to be, but - The new HC will be told in no uncertain terms that Horton is still DC.

People crack me up when they call Horton a token Rooney Rule interview. The guy has head coach written all over him, aside from the questionable choice of corn rows at his age. From management to the fans to people like me who just live in the city, we all love him for how hard he had that defense playing even long after there was no hope for a playoff berth or even basic offensive production. he's not going anywhere.
                        Because whether or not they are qualified, the media is portraying it to be that way. Horton and Lovie Smith are both well-qualified to coach teams, and I would rather take them over either Andy Reid or Chudzinski right now (I've never been an Andy Reid fan for his playcalling and this he's overrated as a coach, his stop in KC is either going to prove me right or wrong.)

And that portrayal is what is wrong with the Rooney Rule. Lets judge these guys based on their merits and qualifications, not interview someone just to fill a quota.

Comment

• Diivox
                          It's the other way.
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                          And that portrayal is what is wrong with the Rooney Rule. Lets judge these guys based on their merits and qualifications, not interview someone just to fill a quota.
                          the irony is, the people who just automatically assume he is unqualified, are using the same kind of mindset that justifies the rule in the first place. They aren't bothering to examine his qualifications and just assume that because he is black he's being a token black guy, when he's a top 5 DC.

Comment

• Bear Pand
                            RIP Indy Colts
                            • Feb 2009

Maybe I'm missing something, but why in the world would the Cowboys want a Tampa2 coach?

Comment

• Glenbino
                              Jelly and Ice Cream
                              • Nov 2009

Kiffin took the job. Huge improvement for the boys.

Comment

Working...