Will the read option be a fad or is it here to stay?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aso
    The Serious House
    • Nov 2008

Will the read option be a fad or is it here to stay?

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell is confident that NFL defenses will stop the read-option offense in 2013.

"I look at that offense kind of like the wildcat," Fewell said. "The wildcat took us by storm and then until you can see it, understand it; then you can defend it." Stopping the read option is especially pertinent in the NFC East, where Robert Griffin III's Redskins dominated with it in 2012 and new Eagles coach Chip Kelly dominated with it as head coach of the Oregon Ducks.

- Rotoworld

What does VSN think? Will the Read Option end up like the wildcat? I wanna say no it won't and I'm rooting that it won't. I'm a big fan of the read option.
  • dave
    Go the fuck outside
    • Oct 2008

Not here to stay.

Quarterbacks are too valuable to risk to injuries running this offence. Hell, year one of RG3 showed that. Yeah, it's exciting as hell, but I don't want my franchise QB exposing himself to injuries like that. OK, run when the lane is there ... but designed runs, other than QB sneaks, just expose your most important player to unnecessary injuries.
    My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• JeremyHight
      I wish I was Scrubs
      • Feb 2009

It is the modern equivalent of a bootleg. The bootleg used to be a QB running after a fake handoff to the running back, but it is dangerous with turning your back to the defense. Now you just do a read option. If the DE crashes, you keep it and can either pass or run. If the DE plays the QB, you hand it off. Either way, it is really just a safer version of a very old football play.

Comment

• ram29jackson
        Noob
        • Nov 2008

starting young QBs too early..they gave them something they were familiar with. But like you said, you cant be a career running QB. Learn to make reads and throw or you learn to play WR or CB. Theres no way 4/2nd year rookie QBs look that good without something being deficient league wide. They might be above average but no one really knows that yet and I doubt CK will be what you think he is this coming season.

it takes advantage of the pansy rules but a QB steps on a land mine too often carrying a ball in the pro's.

Comment

• Houston
          Back home
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JeremyHight
          It is the modern equivalent of a bootleg. The bootleg used to be a QB running after a fake handoff to the running back, but it is dangerous with turning your back to the defense. Now you just do a read option. If the DE crashes, you keep it and can either pass or run. If the DE plays the QB, you hand it off. Either way, it is really just a safer version of a very old football play.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
            Highwayman
            • Feb 2009

The read option has been around since forever...just in different variations.

NFL defenses are very quick at adapting to the game that is presented on the offensive side of the ball. On defense, it all comes down to assignment football and making your pre-snap reads...some film study will clamp down on the effectiveness of the read option going forward. It is why you are seeing these declarations by Mike Shanahan and Jim Harbaugh about their quarterbacks improving in the off-season...they don't want to have to resort to read option stuff...its a quick crutch for a young QB to get production out of them early, but in the NFL, it all comes down to what you can do in the pocket and what you can do with your arm.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
              • Feb 2009

Its just another tool. No huddle , shotgun , 5 wr etc. If its the only thing you can do you will eventually get someone killed. If you use it wisely you can seriously fuck up defenses for a long time.
              Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• calgaryballer
                Tiote!
                • Mar 2009

Defences might, I'm just not sure the Giants slow ass LB's will be the ones to do so

Comment

• Aso
                  The Serious House
                  • Nov 2008

I agree with KOF. If it's a part of your offense and not your base offensive philosophy then I think it'll work. I didn't see a ton of Panthers game but isn't that why the Panthers offense struggled at the beginning of last season? I know they changed up their offense later in the year and had a lot more success.

Comment

• BigBucs
                    Unpretentious
                    • May 2009

Been saying it was a gimmick that wont have long term success but hey, Im just a hater.

Comment

• Tailback U
                      No substitute 4 strength.
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BigBucs
                      Been saying it was a gimmick that wont have long term success but hey, Im just a hater.
                      What's your definition of long term success? It's been in football since the sport started.

The 49ers ran it a little bit differently last year out of the pistol.

As defenses adjust, so will offenses. It's a chess match like anything else and something that defenses need to spend time preparing for every week. No one formation or set works 100% of the time in the NFL anymore.

It's based on execution like anything else. Kind of a silly thread.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                        Noob
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tailback U
                        What's your definition of long term success? It's been in football since the sport started.

As defenses adjust, so will offenses. It's a chess match like anything else and something that defenses need to spend time preparing for every week. No one formation or set works 100% of the time in the NFL anymore.

ultimately, its used when your QB isn't really good ( or good yet ) at being a QB in the modern PRO game.

being a running QB in college is great and all but doesn't really mean crap in the PRO's in the long run.

Comment

• BigBucs
                          Unpretentious
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U

U know what I mean. It will be in the wind like the wildcat. Its the hot thing right now but we all know all it takes is an offseason or 2 for these defenses to get that gimmicky shit the fuck out of here.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                            2011 Poster Of The Year
                            • Mar 2009

I don't like the Wildcat comparisons. The Wildcat was not an offense, it was a handful of plays teams would run to mix things up.

I think a better comparison is the run n shoot, which lasted half a decade or so as a base offense but eventually faded into a package that everybody used & continues to use.

I'm curious how the new 3-4 comeback will effect the spread. We will see more teams use a 3-4 base this year than we have in many years.

Comment

• Tailback U
                              No substitute 4 strength.
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              I don't like the Wildcat comparisons. The Wildcat was not an offense, it was a handful of plays teams would run to mix things up.

I think a better comparison is the run n shoot, which lasted half a decade or so as a base offense but eventually faded into a package that everybody used & continues to use.

I'm curious how the new 3-4 comeback will effect the spread. We will see more teams use a 3-4 base this year than we have in many years.
                              I may show my age here but I don't think the NFL has seen quarterbacks like Wilson, RG III, and Kaepernick before. The threat of the dual threat quarterback is stronger than ever before. These guys can run, take
                              hits, and throw the ball with pretty good accuracy while understanding their reads. So I agree with you in criticizing the Wildcat comparisons. That is a lazy and unintelligent way of watching football.

I was also under the impression that the 3-4 has been the most used base defense in the NFL for quite some time now. The Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens
                              have been the most successful franchises for over a decade and that's what they've run during their runs.

The 49ers, Texans, and Packers have also ran very good 3-4 defenses over the last 5 years. The Jets ran it and made the playoffs with Mark Sanchez.

Come to think of it, the Giants and now the Seawawks are the only teams that run a 43 that's scary.

The 3-4 makes sense with all the rule changes. More people on coverage, less people up front geared towards stopping the run.

This transition has been happening and will continue for a while until teams start to draft towards running the ball again.

The NFL is cyclicle. We all know this. It's a chess match. It's unfortunate that the rule changes are influencing the style of play so much, though.

Comment

Working...