X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NAHSTE
    Probably owns the site
    • Feb 2009

College Foobah Week 1 Observations

- I thought Alabama's offensive line looked less stellar than what we've grown accustomed to. They struggled at times to move the ball against Virginia Tech. Texas A&M's was missing a few starters for disciplinary reasons, but their defensive front looked vulnerable at times as well against Rice. That's gonna be an interesting matchup to watch this upcoming week. Just a guess here, but I suspect Sumlin lifts the suspensions prior to kickoff.

- From what I saw, Clemson and Georgia was a fun game. Don't think Georgia can be written off by any means, there is still plenty of time to get back in the national picture. They can start quickly, with South Carolina and LSU in the next 4 weeks. They have a bit of a breather sandwiched in between with a bye week and North Texas at home, so if they can get past the Gamecocks they should be able to regroup. I think Clemson is for real, but your mileage may vary. As for ranked opponents, the'res only Florida State at home on October 19 and the season-ending trip down the road to Columbia left on their schedule. But as always, the "Dabo gonna Dabo" and "Clemson gonna Clemson" possibilities exist for the other conference games.

- Washington State was able to pass protect against Auburn much better than I expected. I didn't get to see much of the 4th quarter so I don't know what made the difference for Auburn, but in the first half Halliday had plenty of time and space to operate.

- Florida still can't pass very well, but they still have enough SSN's up front to suffocate teams to death. Muschamp has built a different type of powerhouse than the great Florida teams we saw during the Urban era or the Fun-n-Gun days. Today's Florida is predicated on brute strength instead of offensive dynamism.

- Ohio State did not look like one of the best teams in the country. They looked downright average at times vs. Buffalo, and were sloppy throughout. Buckeyes committed nine penalties and turned it over twice.

- A bit surprised at how thoroughly Oklahoma State's defense dominated Mississippi State. Held Ladarious Perkins to 50 yards on 16 carries, and State was 2-16 on 3rd downs. The Cowboys kind of needed the defense with their offense starting uncharacteristically slow. 21-3 doesn't' seem like your typical Okie State game, nor does 17-33 passing for 146 yards. After two series, sophomore JW Walsh replaced senior Clint Chelf at quarterback and ended up rushing for 125 yards so he's probably the guy going forward.

- Score that jumps out, even though I didn't get to watch: Washington 38, Boise State 6 … What the hell happened there?

- Another one that jumps out, Nebraska 37, Wyoming 34. Um … if you're Nebraska you are supposed to beat Wyoming by more than that. Huskers were up 31-14 and 37-21 but just couldn't put the game away. The good news is that they rushed for 375 yards on 63 carries, the bad news is the defense surrendered 602 total yards.
    Last edited by NAHSTE; 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM.
  • Woy
    RIP West
    • Dec 2008

Nebraska must still be hungover from the shellacking they took in the B1G title game.

Some blurbs about my squadron(s):

- Glad to see Penn State get a win in their opener after the disaster against Ohio last year. The defense looked good minus a few plays here and there, and the offense did just enough - even with four turnovers - to get the win. Stephen Obeng-Agyapong as an undersized linebacker/safety hybrid played an awesome game, and DaQuan Jones looked a bit like Jordan Hill in the interior line.
    - Christian Hackenberg had an impressive debut (22-31, 278 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT), despite two interceptions. The first one he telegraphed and probably underestimated the difference of speed between the high school and college levels, and the second one was from a DE dropping into coverage - something Hack probably didn't see in his high school career. It would have been nice if the protection gave him more time (the time he had the most protection, he looked off the safety and threw a 57-yard touchdown [gif below]), but I can't complain too much with how he played.

- Speaking of the protection, the offensive line overall was pretty bad. Zach Zwinak had no room to run (although he did look slow hitting the hole at times), and as I mentioned, Hack was under duress most of the day. Part of it, however, was because Syracuse stacked the box most of the day. If Hack can continue to establish the passing game, then obviously more holes in the running game will open up. Surprised and disappointed that redshirt frosh Akeel Lynch didn't see any snaps.
    - Allen Robinson (7 catches, 133 yards, 1 TD in one half) is one of the best receivers in the nation. I enjoyed watching guys like Derek Moye, Derrick Williams, and Deon Butler play, but Robinson is a true top-flight receiver this program hasn't seen since Bobby Engram.
    - Tyler Ferguson, the JUCO transfer who lost the job to Hack, didn't see as much time as I thought he would. BOB said that both quarterbacks would play, but Ferguson only saw three snaps. I'm fine with that, because I feel there needs to be an established guy, but I hope he'll see more time against Eastern Michigan next week. He had a nice throw on the run.
    - I love Syracuse's stable of backs, especially Jerome Smith. Looks bigger than the 6'/217 he's listed at, and runs bigger than that too.

- RMU lost to Eastern Kentucky on Thursday, 38-6, but the game was closer than the score indicated somehow. Penn State transfer Paul Jones was solid in his debut (16-28, 177 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT), but like Hackenberg, he was under duress most of the night. The Colonials aren't going to compete with the top 15 teams in FCS play, but they should be in the top half of the NEC this year.

^ Shouts to MvP for the sick sig. GFX TEAM BACK

Comment

• SuperKevin
      War Hero
      • Dec 2009

I didnt get to watch but I was surprised at how poor AJ McCarron's numbers were against a banged up Tech defense

Comment

• Sportsbuck
        Buckeye For Life
        • Dec 2008

Ohio State looked like the #2 team in the country in the first quarter. After that, it was the same ole thing as last year, plagued with horrible inconsistency and bone headed mistakes.

Losing Ryan Shazier for the 2nd and 3rd quarters did not help, and neither did playing without two starters in the secondary in Bradley Roby and CJ Barnett. As well, once Corey Linsley left the game at center (coincidentally also in the second quarter), the offensive line struggled on the ground.

Will be interesting to watch going forward. Braxton looked great through the air, and once they finally opened him up on the ground the offense regained it's dynamic ability. But the inconsistency was very apparent.

Comment

• Golden Taters
          RIP West
          • Jul 2009

I'll keep it brief, but from the other thread...

Oregon State was way overrated last year (lol at people thinking they were the best Oregon team) and it looks like they are still crap this season. Not to take anything away from Eastern Washington (ranked #3), but this upset doesn't surprise me too much.

Chuckie Keaton looks really good, Utah State is a fun mid-major to watch.

Did anybody see the Cal-Northwestern game? So many "injuries", at one point NW had 3 guys get "hurt" on 3 consecutive plays. Shit was hilarious, everybody cramping up.

Washington State looked a lot better than last season and I think we will challenge for a bowl. Our offensive line made up of 3 walkons did well against a SEC defensive line, but our downfall is inconsistent QB play which kills the Air Raid. Connor Halliday kept turning it over and couldn't convert a late 4th down in Auburn territory.

Comment

• Sharkweather
            • Jul 2009

At least #1 in something.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
              Highwayman
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Golden Taters
              I'll keep it brief, but from the other thread...

Oregon State was way overrated last year (lol at people thinking they were the best Oregon team) and it looks like they are still crap this season. Not to take anything away from Eastern Washington (ranked #3), but this upset doesn't surprise me too much.

Chuckie Keaton looks really good, Utah State is a fun mid-major to watch.

Did anybody see the Cal-Northwestern game? So many "injuries", at one point NW had 3 guys get "hurt" on 3 consecutive plays. Shit was hilarious, everybody cramping up.

Washington State looked a lot better than last season and I think we will challenge for a bowl. Our offensive line made up of 3 walkons did well against a SEC defensive line, but our downfall is inconsistent QB play which kills the Air Raid. Connor Halliday kept turning it over and couldn't convert a late 4th down in Auburn territory.
              Oregon State under Mike Riley has always been this way...they will have a huge, big time season...then they'll regress the next season. Still, losing to Eastern Washington in the way they did is unacceptable.

As for your Cougs...I fear Leach won't get to a bowl game until he gets "his" QB. The OL sucks, sure. But Leach has schemed around bummy offensive lines before and the Cougs have the skill position talent. Tuel was injured last year and I don't like this Holliday cat. Neither are Leach QBs.

Comment

• Golden Taters
                RIP West
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                As for your Cougs...I fear Leach won't get to a bowl game until he gets "his" QB. The OL sucks, sure. But Leach has schemed around bummy offensive lines before and the Cougs have the skill position talent. Tuel was injured last year and I don't like this Holliday cat. Neither are Leach QBs.
                The Offensive line actually played very well against Auburn. We were last in the nation in rushing yards and yards/attempt last season (not to mention how many sacks we allowed), but Halliday was only brought down a couple times and we rushed for over 100 yards. Auburn has a good d-line, hey matched up well and I was very surprised by this. As for the QBs, Tuel was absolutely a Leach QB he was a efficient passer and kept our drives alive, plus he threw a good deep ball. This is where Halliday fails, he throws too many incompletions and likes to force it deep relying too much on his arm. If the O-line plays how it did against Auburn, it's more than fair to think we could challenge for a bowl, might not get there but they should be in the hunt for 6 wins by seasons end. Connor Halliday needs to show improvement though, he's only started 7 games so hopefully experience bodes well for him.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                  Highwayman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Golden Taters
                  The Offensive line actually played very well against Auburn. We were last in the nation in rushing yards and yards/attempt last season (not to mention how many sacks we allowed), but Halliday was only brought down a couple times and we rushed for over 100 yards. Auburn has a good d-line, hey matched up well and I was very surprised by this. As for the QBs, Tuel was absolutely a Leach QB he was a efficient passer and kept our drives alive, plus he threw a good deep ball. This is where Halliday fails, he throws too many incompletions and likes to force it deep relying too much on his arm. If the O-line plays how it did against Auburn, it's more than fair to think we could challenge for a bowl, might not get there but they should be in the hunt for 6 wins by seasons end. Connor Halliday needs to show improvement though, he's only started 7 games so hopefully experience bodes well for him.
                  I'd be weary of that offensive line, still. Auburn's defensive line is filled very average upperclassmen and they mix in very young talents that shouldn't be contributing as true freshmenz. Its a front seven that returns a good number of starters, but at the same time, was the worst rush D in the SEC (in the bottom 1/3 of the nation) and worst overall D in the conference. Just saying, its not a good gauge outside of saying its improved from last year, where it was the worst OL in the country.

As for Tuel...efficient is not what I'd call him while at Washington State. Barely over 1:1 TD:INT ratio, peaked in '10 with a 133 rating (that places you in the "below average" category nationally).

Halliday just isn't an accurate passer and yeah, he throws a terrible deep ball.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

My main takeaway from Week 1 is that it was refreshing to watch football without waiting for a penalty flag after every play for somebody getting hit too hard, which is how I spend my Sunday's these days.

"Targeting" is a terrible rule, but we only saw it called three times in something like, what, 60 games or more?

Comment

• JeremyHight
                      I wish I was Scrubs
                      • Feb 2009

As an Ohio State fan, the first quarter was absolutely great. No doubt, just amazing. Then I think our injuries and suspensions started to hurt us. Losing 2 DBs, an LB, a RB, a QB, and a Center started to make us look very pedestrian. I think we should be better than we showed, but still we scored 40 which was unheard of in the Tressel era, so I'll take it.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Georgia is already looking to next season, but they can certainly be in the national title picture, but after the drastic changes to the defensive personnel after last season, growing pains are to be expected.

Comment

• Sharkweather
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ThomasTomasz
                          Georgia is already looking to next season
                          Not just yet, but definitely can't survive a loss to South Carolina. If Alabama can bounce back from a loss at home to A&M, and a season without even a division title, then a season opening loss by three to a top 10 opponent is recoverable.

A fourth straight loss to South Carolina would be horrible though, but I'm not sure if the defense is going to be able to make the necessary improvement in only 7 days. Getting JHC back from suspension will help dearly, but some people really need to work on their tackling (looking at you Swann). Surprisingly the true freshmen on defense were pretty solid minus a few mistakes which was to be expected. Floyd looks to be the truth and proved the hype from fall camp was legitimate.

And if Gates or someone else can't get it together at LT, we might just witness a death in Athens on Saturday. Clowney is surely going to get more than a few good shots on Murray if the line plays as bad as it did in Clemson.
                          Last edited by Sharkweather; 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• ryne candy
                            Aggie C/O '01
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by NAHSTE
                            - I thought Alabama's offensive line looked less stellar than what we've grown accustomed to. They struggled at times to move the ball against Virginia Tech. Texas A&M's was missing a few starters for disciplinary reasons, but their defensive front looked vulnerable at times as well against Rice. That's gonna be an interesting matchup to watch this upcoming week. Just a guess here, but I suspect Sumlin lifts the suspensions prior to kickoff.
                            When the suspensions were announced, it was also stated that it would be only for 2 games. The question now is whether the rest benefits the players or hurts them in their 1st game of action. I think it will be another close game, it could go either way.

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
                              Highwayman
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                              My main takeaway from Week 1 is that it was refreshing to watch football without waiting for a penalty flag after every play for somebody getting hit too hard, which is how I spend my Sunday's these days.

"Targeting" is a terrible rule, but we only saw it called three times in something like, what, 60 games or more?
                              I was shocked at how little we saw this play out this weekend. Usually when there is a new rule, refs will go overboard and call it way too much before settling down. I actually saw numerous hits across the schedule that didn't even get a flinch from the refs that could have been easily called targeting. Wide outs coming in on crosses before getting hit high by a defensive back...stuff that looked like what they should have been looking for only to get no flag.

I did see quite a bit of action from the refs on hits on the QB though.

Comment

Working...