X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warner2BruceTD
    2011 Poster Of The Year
    • Mar 2009

Jim Harbaugh says read option QB's should be treated as defenseless players

"I believe that when a quarterback is handing a ball off or faking a ball, in the read-option case he's reading on an option play, he's as defenseless as a quarterback who's in the act of throwing...And I'm not advocating that they don't hit the quarterback if he has the ball, but when he's in the pocket I believe there should be a strike zone. The same strike zone that is given to the quarterback when he's in the pocket and throwing the ball."

• Rayman
    Spic 'n Spanish
    • Feb 2009

I like Kaepernick as much as the next guy, but this makes me hope Clay Matthews utterly destroys him on the first read-option they run, whether he has the ball or not.

Just so I can see something like this:

Comment

• MrBill
      Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
      • Feb 2009

I like Harbaugh but....uhhh no. The league can't protect read option QB's like a pocket passer, otherwise there is no way to play defense with any hope of success.

Comment

• MvP
        a member of vsn
        • Oct 2008

Harbaugh is just defending his own guy here. But since he and everyone watching knows the rule now he will look like an idiot if he over reacts to Kaep taking a hit.

Funny thing is, I don't think the Niners are going to use the read-option much in this game anyway. The Packers have practically dedicated the whole off-season to stopping it, so I'm sure Harbaugh came up with an entirely different gameplan.

Comment

• Realist
          • Mar 2009

JH has to realize 49ers play Russell Wilson 2x a year. I understand him defending Kap but that might come back and bite him if the defense has to play more cautious when is comes to having a chance to hit another option QB. When it comes to the read option, there is a thin line with protecting the QB and treating him like he's a running back.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

None of this matters, because within five years every player on the field, QB or otherwise, will have a legal hitting zone in between the upper thigh and lower chest. Might as well cut to the chase.

I would not be completely shocked if within my lifetime tackling the QB is banned entirely.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
              • Sep 2024

Nope, if they have the ball they are fair game. Follow these rules and we will see touch or flag football soon in the NFL.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                Noob
                • Nov 2008

Harbaugh must be playing ncaa 14 in his free time ?

Comment

• MrBill
                  Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
                  • Feb 2009

The Packers defense has given up a lot of points today but they are playing 10x better than the playoff game against the 49ers back in January. The 49ers defense is starting to bend more in the 2nd half.

Comment

• KNUBB
                    WHITE RONDO
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                    None of this matters, because within five years every player on the field, QB or otherwise, will have a legal hitting zone in between the upper thigh and lower chest. Might as well cut to the chase.

I would not be completely shocked if within my lifetime tackling the QB is banned entirely.
                    Are you suggesting Red jerseys for live game action?

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                      2011 Poster Of The Year
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by KNUBB
                      Are you suggesting Red jerseys for live game action?
                      Suggesting it? No. Conceding it will eventually happen? Absolutely. We're crawling to that point already.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                        Suggesting it? No. Conceding it will eventually happen? Absolutely. We're crawling to that point already.
                        And after that, it's only a matter of time for touch/flag football. It might take a lot longer in terms of years, but I feel it will get there at some point.

Comment

Working...