Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Jones: Garrett to return in 2014

IRVING, Texas -- After already saying during the summer that this is not an "Armageddon year" for coach Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones reiterated Thursday that Garrett will be his coach in 2014.

"I'm disappointed that we don't have a better record, but he has got us in position to win the division and has got a team here that I firmly believe has the ability to be one of the better-playing teams at the end," Jones said to reporters at Thursday's practice.

The Cowboys (5-5) are second in the NFC East and are coming off their worst loss in the Garrett era -- 49-17 to the New Orleans Saints -- as they get ready for Sunday's crucial division game against the New York Giants (4-6).

"We're positioned to get in the playoffs. We see logically how to get in the playoffs. We have that, for all practical purposes, in our control," Jones said. "Now that's a pretty good spot to be in after 10 games. A lot of this story is to be played out, but it does not have a bearing on whether or not he will be our coach next year. It has no bearing on that."

Asked whether Garrett would be the coach next season, Jones simply said, "Yes."

Garrett has a 26-24 record with the Cowboys, including a 5-3 mark as interim coach after taking over for Wade Phillips in 2010. The Cowboys went 8-8 in each of Garrett's first two full seasons and lost Week 17 matchups for the NFC East title to the Giants (2011) and Washington Redskins (2012).

Jones does not comment on the length of contracts for his head coaches, but in training camp he said Garrett had "multiple" years remaining.

Garrett is the seventh head coach since Jones purchased the team in 1989. Jimmy Johnson coached the most regular-season games (80) under Jones. Chan Gailey coached the fewest (32). Garrett will reach 56 at the end of the season.

Although Jones has thrown his support behind Garrett, he made similar comments in 2010 about Phillips' job security after the team got off to a bad start. With a 1-7 record, Jones made the first in-season coaching move of his ownership tenure and gave the job to Garrett.

When apprised of Jones' comments after practice, Garrett continued his in-the-moment mantra.

"We're talking about practicing well today," Garrett said. "That's what we're going to focus on and that's something we emphasize to our team. That's something we have to live as a coaching staff. We understand we have a great challenge this week and we're trying to get ready for it."

Jones also was asked if the Cowboys need more from quarterback Tony Romo.

"Yes," he said. "Yes, and [more] than we had against New Orleans. But yes, we do."

Since throwing for a career-high 506 yards in a 51-48 loss to the Denver Broncos on Oct. 6, Romo's numbers have declined. In the five games since, Romo has had two games in which he completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes. He has two games with less than 200 yards. Against Detroit, he had 206 passing yards -- and 110 came on two plays (touchdown passes to Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams).

The Cowboys have had fewer than 300 yards of offense in three games this season. In their only win in the last three, they needed Romo to direct a 90-yard drive in the final minute to beat the Minnesota Vikings.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...s-cowboys-2014
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

Ive never seen a lousier coach get so many free passes from his owner AND media. The guy is teflon no matter how obviously mediocre he is.
    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
      Ive never seen a lousier coach get so many free passes from his owner AND media. The guy is teflon no matter how obviously mediocre he is.
      And on top of it, Jones plans to stay in the GM role for the next "15-20" years. Unbelievable. I feel for Cowboys fans, because at least Dan Snyder learned that he's got to give the football people some space. For such a storied franchise, they deserve better.

Comment

• Villain
        [REDACTED]
        • May 2011

Momentary dyslexia made me confused about the Pittsburgh Pirates.

[REDACTED]

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

it makes you wonder...is he a bad coach or does he look like a bad coach cause of who he coaches for. Jones is a idiot and you know he is pulling the strings behind the scenes. it wouldnt surprise me if he is calling for plays during the game...ala Al Davis

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Maynard
            it makes you wonder...is he a bad coach or does he look like a bad coach cause of who he coaches for. Jones is a idiot and you know he is pulling the strings behind the scenes. it wouldnt surprise me if he is calling for plays during the game...ala Al Davis
            He's a bad coach that looks mediocre because of the talent he has. Hes mismanaged players and games for years. I cry wondering what would have been with Sean Payton there instead of Garret.
            No question Jerry makes things worse as to how bad ? Who knows.

Comment

• ralaw
              Posts too much
              • Feb 2009

Jones: Garrett to return in 2014

I remember when the Ravens wanted Garrett over Harbaugh.

Comment

• Rayman
                Spic 'n Spanish
                • Feb 2009

Garrett's gameday management leaves much to be desired.

I still believe he's the right guy to be in charge of this team as currently constituted. Impatience isn't going to get this group anywhere.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Rayman

I still believe he's the right guy to be in charge of this team as currently constituted. Impatience isn't going to get this group anywhere.
                  What have you seen to inspire this confidence? Every fan group is different, but a lot of the Dallas fans I know can't stand Garrett.

Comment

• Tailback U
                    No substitute 4 strength.
                    • Nov 2008

I've never been impressed by him. The team has never progressed. Romo hasn't progressed. Boneheaded clock management, playcalling, and discipline issues that happen way too often.

Comment

• Villain
                      [REDACTED]
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by Villain
                      Momentary dyslexia made me confused about the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Garrett Jones was DFA'd by the Pirates today....
                      [REDACTED]

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rayman

Psycho.

Hes a slight improvement in the discipline department over walk all over me Wade. Big whoop. I love how the getting of calls into Romo and center QB exchanges get solved with Callahan the second Garrett is relaying stuff it all happens again.

Yes you can say noone can succeed with Jones as meddling owner. But seriously how could anyone vote for treading water. Ware/Romo/Witten best years are past them. Why waste another last of the good years from that trio on a guaranteed mediocre finish.

Comment

• Rayman
                          Spic 'n Spanish
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Tailback U
                          I've never been impressed by him. The team has never progressed. Romo hasn't progressed. Boneheaded clock management, playcalling, and discipline issues that happen way too often.
                          Romo aside, this squad was in rebuilding mode after the debacle of 2010. With extremely limited resources (draft picks, cap space), he's completely turned over the roster in that timeframe. Check their drafting under Phillips and their drafting under him. Night and day. And unlike Phillips, he's constantly churning the bottom of the roster throughout the season.

The fact of the matter is, aside from a few players at the top end of the roster, they're simply not that talented. And they're certainly not deep enough to handle the constant injuries they get hit with.

You look at the 8-8 records and say they haven't progressed. I say they have, it's just a "process". They were never going to be a serious contender in any of the last three years no matter what Jerry the carnival barker said.
                          Psycho.

Hes a slight improvement in the discipline department over walk all over me Wade. Big whoop. I love how the getting of calls into Romo and center QB exchanges get solved with Callahan the second Garrett is relaying stuff it all happens again.

Yes you can say noone can succeed with Jones as meddling owner. But seriously how could anyone vote for treading water. Ware/Romo/Witten best years are past them. Why waste another last of the good years from that trio on a guaranteed mediocre finish.
                          You're not seriously blaming him for the bad snaps, are you? C'mon man, you're better than that.

The thing with Romo/Witten/Ware truly sucks, because we have wasted their best years. But 2007 was the best shot. We went all in, and we failed. Would it have been different if Parcells had given us one more year or Payton had hung around just a bit longer and gotten promoted? Probably. In fact, most likely. But instead of keeping things moving, we handed out a bunch of bad contracts, made one idiotic trade for a bum WR, and had one of the worst drafts in the history of the team in 2009 (among other shitty drafts going back to 2006) all in the name of trying to give it one more shot. And it caught up to us.

The team is still paying for those mistakes. And they would be no matter who the head coach was.

Comment

Working...