Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Len B
    I feel bad for the fans. The ownership has no idea what they are doing.

If Chud wasn't your first or second choice, FIND SOMEONE YOU COULD SEE BEING A GOOD MULTI-YEAR FIT. Don't just take a guy and hope he can make magic in one year with a third string QB and no RB.

Furthermore, the only thing the Browns have going for them this year was Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron, who was helped incredibly by Chud and Turner's offense. You need a QB, and Chud is the guy who can build your QB. He made Derek Anderson relevant and put Cam Newton on the map.

Can't stand the Browns ownership fucking up that roster and blaming the coach.
    The worst part is that I could see Haslam saying "but we like Turner, he stays as the OC." No self-respecting coach is going to take a job where he has coaches forced on him, much less at the coordinator level. If they like Turner that much, then make him the next head coach.

This is why I think something else went on behind the scenes that we don't know about. This whole situation doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Maynard
      stupid ass titles
      • Feb 2009

they have stated the new coach will get to choose his assistants, but that he could keep some or all if he wants because they have been retained for now.

i dont know if i agree with this move to fire him, but you guys keep going back to the roster and how poor it is....and yes, its not great, but if your players quit on you, then thats trouble. Look at the Jets crappy offense. They won 8 games for Rex Ryan.

The browns are better than 4 wins. and i dont think it mattered that they only won 4, i think it was how they lost the final 7. Especially those final 3 or 4 games where the team didnt even care.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Maynard
        they have stated the new coach will get to choose his assistants, but that he could keep some or all if he wants because they have been retained for now.

i dont know if i agree with this move to fire him, but you guys keep going back to the roster and how poor it is....and yes, its not great, but if your players quit on you, then thats trouble. Look at the Jets crappy offense. They won 8 games for Rex Ryan.

The browns are better than 4 wins. and i dont think it mattered that they only won 4, i think it was how they lost the final 7. Especially those final 3 or 4 games where the team didnt even care.
        Any chance Turner or Horton are retained as head coach? To me, this could be a reverse situation of Jim Zorn and Washington, where they discovered Chud was in over his head, and that Horton or Turner were someone they wanted to go with all along.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

idk...they said they wont interview people they interviewed last year. meaning no OBrien and also Horton...he was interviewed to fill the minority requirement for HC.

apparently denvers OC and McDanials are the front runners.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
            • Sep 2024

idk...they said they wont interview people they interviewed last year. meaning no OBrien and also Horton...he was interviewed to fill the minority requirement for HC.

apparently denvers OC and McDanials are the front runners.
            How McDaniels is back on the list of head coaching candidates is beyond me. I want him to stay as far away from Washington as possible.

Comment

• Maynard
              stupid ass titles
              • Feb 2009

that dam bellicheck tree sucks. the only person it works for is bill himself...everyone else has been an epic fail. and lombardi is still bills boy after all these years

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                • Sep 2024

Judging by the Browns' second-half collapse followed by yesterday's head coaching news, it may have been a fair comparison.

Speaking to the media one day after firing first-year head coach Rob Chudzinski, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner were asked, poignantly, “Can you assure the fans that you don't have the three stooges running this operation?”

A local TV reporter asked the question after he had recited some of the fans' piercing reactions following Chudzinski's dismissal. He was referring to Haslam, Banner and GM Mike Lombardi, who has curiously been absent at press conferences this season, including Monday's.

It was the most blatant attack on the Browns' front office that handpicked Chudzinski last year, sold him as their guy and an intriguing young football mind, and then abandoned him after injuries decimated the Browns' year. Not to mention, one of the Browns' integral offensive pieces was traded early in the season (Trent Richardson) for draft picks, leaving a gaping hole in Cleveland's backfield. Still, the team, which declined to use all of its cap space, abandoned ship.

The team does however owe the departing Chudzinski $10.5 million, on top of having to reset the organization, again.

Just last month, with the Browns at 4-5, Haslam said: “I'd be hard-pressed to think that in nine weeks, a first time head coach can do any better or any more than he's doing,” he said on Nov. 13. “All of the measurables that you'd look to come up with, if you even wanted to create a yardstick of measuring at this moment, I just think he's doing an outstanding job.”

So what gave?

“As the season developed, it was our feeling that as a team, we were not getting better,” Haslam said. The Browns lost 10 of their last 11 games, including six by double-digits.

"We understand why there might be some skepticism. We also understand the importance of getting it right," he said.

“We still feel that way [about the importance of continuity]. We understand there are going to be some skeptics. … Candidly, we deserve it,” he added later. Haslam also admitted that a federal probe into an alleged rebate fraud scheme by his company, Pilot Flying J, has been a distraction, which isn't exactly a surprise.

Haslam continued: “It galls me when people write, ‘Same old Browns.' I think the key message needs to be that we're going to work hard to get this right.”

But why would any top coach want to take the reins of a team whose ownership won't stand behind them? Haslam preaches continuity but doesn't practice it. Names such as Josh McDaniels and Broncos OC Adam Gase have already popped up as potential replacements, but why come to a team with such instability?

Nothing quite sums up the Browns' plight as much as this stat.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-three-stooges
                The stat referenced at the end is that the last four coaches fired in the AFC North were Browns coaches.

I feel for Cleveland fans, you guys deserve better.

Comment

• Maynard
                  stupid ass titles
                  • Feb 2009

they have reached out to seattle to interview their DC...bye Ray Horton
                  and Josh McD

Comment

• Maynard
                    stupid ass titles
                    • Feb 2009

The club submitted requests to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, the former Browns secondary coach.

Bowles, who's also being pursued by the Vikings and Lions, will satisfy the Rooney Rule for the Browns if he interviews here. The rule states that teams must interview at least one minority candidate before making a hire.

The Browns are also believed to be interested in fired Lions coach Jim Schwartz, who worked with Browns general manager Mike Lombardi here in the early 1990s under Bill Belichick. Penn State coach Bill O'Brien was on the Browns' radar again -- he interviewed with them last year -- but he's believed to be closing in on a deal with the Texans.

Comment

• Maynard
                      stupid ass titles
                      • Feb 2009

rumor today is that Bob Stoops has been offered the job and its his if he wants it

Comment

• buckeye
                        Noob
                        • Dec 2013

rumor today is that Bob Stoops has been offered the job and its his if he wants it
                        Can't really see Stoops leaving Oklahoma. On the other hand, how much more does he think he can accomplish that he already hasn't?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

• wr50l
                          Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                          • Oct 2008

I thought Cleveland had a decent rebuilding season. They made a good decision cutting shit Trent Richardson and got a fantastic return for that matter, got some spark from a potential star going forward in Josh Gordon, and their defence showed some resilience and in terms of yards was one of the league's best. They did all this on a pretty tough schedule. In one of the more equal divisions, they also had to play against healthy Rodgers, Cutler and the Lions prior to their collapse, they had to go to Arrowhead and remember they got fucking jobbed by the refs in New England too.

I don't think it's fair to assess a coach negatively on one year like this, and as a result it looks like the rebuild starts again in Cleveland.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by wr50l
                            I thought Cleveland had a decent rebuilding season. They made a good decision cutting shit Trent Richardson and got a fantastic return for that matter, got some spark from a potential star going forward in Josh Gordon, and their defence showed some resilience and in terms of yards was one of the league's best. They did all this on a pretty tough schedule. In one of the more equal divisions, they also had to play against healthy Rodgers, Cutler and the Lions prior to their collapse, they had to go to Arrowhead and remember they got fucking jobbed by the refs in New England too.

I don't think it's fair to assess a coach negatively on one year like this, and as a result it looks like the rebuild starts again in Cleveland.
                            That's why there has to be something else behind this. I thought the Browns were set to finally get their operations together when Haslam came on board. An owner who should have known how to run an organization coming out of Pittsburgh, a great executive in Joe Banner and a very good hire in Chudzinski who brought in two great coordinators to help him. I don't know how all of this came down to him being fired.

Comment

Working...