Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrispy
    Needs a hobby
    • Dec 2008

Chris Kluwe: I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

Long but worth while to read

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

dumbest straight player ever

Comment

• LiquidLarry2GhostWF
      Highwayman
      • Feb 2009

I can't help but read this and think "he is giving the Vikings an awful lot of problems for a punter."

He has the right to do what he was doing, and I can't hate on'em for it...but, you gotta be at least a little self aware.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by LiquidLarry2GhostWF
        I can't help but read this and think "he is giving the Vikings an awful lot of problems for a punter."

He has the right to do what he was doing, and I can't hate on'em for it...but, you gotta be at least a little self aware.
        Exactly. I also love the disconnect between owner and front office. I wonder if there's going to be any fallout from this as far as Spielman goes.

Comment

• Glenbino
          Jelly and Ice Cream
          • Nov 2009

I think it's funny that the first NFL player to play the "gay card" as a reason for his being out of work is a straight dude.

Kluwe and Nate Jackson are both clowns IMO. They had no problem collecting NFL checks, but the second they get cut off they're talking shit about their former employers.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
            2011 Poster Of The Year
            • Mar 2009

If Kluwe is so principled and was so offended by working for a bigot, why didn't he quit? And he'd still be there "suffering" through gay jokes if they hadn't cut him.

I don't think Kluwe was cut for his beliefs, and I don't think he was cut for being bad at his job. I think Kluwe was cut for being a pain in the ass and not being worth the trouble.

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
              2011 Poster Of The Year
              • Mar 2009

Also, lol @ "hey man, i'm never gonna get another NFL job after I said this!"

Yeah, and you waited an entire season of not catching on to make such a bold stand.

Dude would have been punting for the first gay bashin' homophobe GM that called his agent.

Comment

• Len B
                :moonwalk:
                • Oct 2008

Fuck this guy. I've hated him ever since these letters came out.

1) Kluwe stands up for public rights as much as he stands up for his own ego. He is an egomaniac and gets off as being famous on reddit

2) This hypocrite states that his coaches are cowards and hide being the gay issue. What does Kluwe do? Waits until he can no longer be employed by an NFL team before he outs anyone.

3) He wasn't a good punter by the end of his career

4) He was cut by the Oakland Raiders. I'm sure Oakland cut him because they are all bigots.

End of the day he brought way too much unwanted distractions/attention to himself as a punter and the Vikings knew they could find a replacement with less headaches at half the cost and the same production (which they did).
                Last edited by Len B; 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• wr50l
                  Glen & CJ are secret Huns
                  • Oct 2008

He did the right thing, but if you're a high profile person in our society, or even a nobody who works for a company with a high profile, then doing the right thing often has negative consequences. Of course his outspoken acts have cost him a chance at another NFL job. Punters have very little leverage, they are the easiest to replace and there are plenty of them sitting around waiting for a job. At least he can retire with a clear conscience.

The NFL will be concerned about these allegations, especially how they link with the Dolphins' situation. Changes are coming folks.

Comment

• Glenbino
                    Jelly and Ice Cream
                    • Nov 2009

I love the hypocrisy of the Kluwe supporter.

These champions of free speech didn't seem to feel the same way last week when it was the Duck Dynasty guy being chastised.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Glenbino
                      I love the hypocrisy of the Kluwe supporter.

These champions of free speech didn't seem to feel the same way last week when it was the Duck Dynasty guy being chastised.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
                      I do agree with you in principal, but there are clear differences in what Priefer allegedly said and what the guy from Duck Dynasty said.

Either way, I still question coming forward almost a year later. That doesn't sit right with me.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
                        • Sep 2024

wr50l is right, changes will be coming. An independent investigation is being started into Kluwe's allegations

The Minnesota Vikings announced Thursday that the team would be doing a thorough review of the allegations made against assistant coach Mike Priefer by former punter Chris Kluwe.

Less than 24 hours later, the Vikings have already started the process of that review by calling in former Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court Eric Magnuson and former US Department of Justice trial attorney Chris Madel to lead the investigation.

"It is extremely important for the Vikings organization to react immediately and comprehensively with an independent review of these allegations," team owner Mark Wilf said in a statement.

On Thursday, Kluwe wrote a scathing piece for Deadspin that blasted the Vikings and referred to Priefer as a bigot. Kluwe also referred to former Minnesota coach Leslie Frazier and current general manager Rick Spielman as cowards.

"This is a highly sensitive matter that we as an organization will address with integrity," Vikings vice president of legal affairs and chief administrative officer Kevin Warren said. "Eric and Chris have stellar reputations in both the local and national legal community. They have handled numerous cases involving a wide range of issues, and we are confident they will move swiftly and fairly in completing this investigation."

Kluwe's reaction to the investigation? "Let the investigation begin," he told USA Today.

"I'm glad they're taking it seriously," Kluwe said of the Vikings. "This is something I wrote down because it's what happened to me and I'm 100 percent confident in what I wrote, and there are witnesses that will back me up."

According to Kluwe, Priefer once said that Kluwe would burn in hell with the gays: "Mike Priefer also said on multiple occasions that I would wind up burning in hell with the gays, and that the only truth was Jesus Christ and the Bible," Kluwe wrote.

Kluwe also alleges that Priefer once said, "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."

Priefer released a statement Thursday evening, denying all of the allegations made by Kluwe. Several Vikings players have also come to Priefer's defense, including kicker Blair Walsh and Jeff Locke, the punter who took Kluwe's position.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...we-allegations

Comment

Working...