Thursday Night Football rights worth $800 million?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Thursday Night Football rights worth $800 million?

The NFL is shopping a one-year Thursday night deal to other networks to broadcast games starting in September 2014, according to Sports Business Journal's John Ourand, who adds that the package would share the Thursday night games with NFL Network.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora hears that the league is looking for roughly $800 million, and the NFL Network would like to be able to keep late regular-season games leading up to the playoffs, but chances are that the network that lands the deal will want those games.

More from La Canfora: "This has always been the plan -- to use the full-season package to get higher carriage fees and get on Time Warner Cable, then sell off half the package."

Prime bidders include: FOX, Turner and possibly NBC Sports Network.

Back in October, days after Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones hinted that the NFL was considering Thursday doubleheaders, La Canfora noted that selling part of the broadcast rights would be "[O]ne way to get the salary cap up. Because the salary cap hasn't really moved since 2009, and this new TV money from the existing contracts probably won't start kicking in until 2015."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ay-night-games
    And just for one season too.......whoever purchases that better hope that scheduling luck doesn't repeat the 2013 games.
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

Comment

• PP
      • Feb 2010

Comment

• Houston
        Back home
        • Oct 2008

What a mess.

Comment

• Maynard
          stupid ass titles
          • Feb 2009

i wish they would do away with thursday games

Comment

• MrBill
            Billy Brewer Sucks Penis
            • Feb 2009

Thursday games in November?

Thursday games again for an entire season?

Comment

• Aso
              The Serious House
              • Nov 2008

Is it that important that the salary cap keeps going up annually? What exactly is wrong with the salary cap not moving much since 2009?

Comment

• Derrville
                Dallas has no coaching...
                • Jul 2009

so will these games be like the opening Monday night or whatever where one game is starts at like 9:30?

Comment

• dave
                  Go the fuck outside
                  • Oct 2008

I despise Thursday night football. Hell, I am not even a fan of Sunday night football. Maybe it's the old guy in me, but I want Sunday afternoon and Monday night football, U.S. Thanksgiving and a few Saturday night games when college is over.
                  Sunday night football is overkill (I gave you my day, leave my night the fuck alone), Thursday night football sucks, just a reason to watch NFL Network ads for 4 hours.
                  My Twitch video link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000

Twitch archived games link: http://www.twitch.tv/dave374000/profile/past_broadcasts

Comment

• Warner2BruceTD
                    2011 Poster Of The Year
                    • Mar 2009

Hey, who was that poster who said Thursday games were too much, that there is a limit to how much football people are willing to watch, no mater how hot the product is? If I recall, nearly everybody disagreed with that guy (except NAHSTE, KOF, maybe one or two others), called him crazy, said he was wrong...can't remember who it was, but boy was he ganged up on. Seems like that guy knew what he was talking about, and had some amazing foresight, because it looks like most of the people in this thread have come around on the idea of too much of a good thing is a slippery slope of overexposure...who was it again? Oh yeah, it was ME.

Score another for W2B, as usual I knew you nerds would come around and see things my way. Thanks.

I'll be bumping that kicking thread in a few years when they change the rules. Later, geeks.

Comment

• seaplus
                      Posts a lot
                      • Apr 2009

love Thursday games. make fantasy football more interesting
                      *<|8-D

Comment

• JimLeavy59
                        War Hero
                        • May 2012

I'm just waiting for Tuesday night NFL games.

Comment

• RyanLeaf16
                          #DoSomething
                          • Feb 2009

I don't hate Thursday night games, but, I don't like how the late afternoon games on Sunday seem to be effected by it. With bye weeks and the extra Thursday game, there is consistently like 3 or 4 late afternoon games only. Kind of limits the selection if the "National Game" ends up sucking.
                          Maddon & Friedman: Pissing off the AL East since 2008

Comment

• kmanharris
                            Seven
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Warner2BruceTD
                            Hey, who was that poster who said Thursday games were too much, that there is a limit to how much football people are willing to watch, no mater how hot the product is? If I recall, nearly everybody disagreed with that guy (except NAHSTE, KOF, maybe one or two others), called him crazy, said he was wrong...can't remember who it was, but boy was he ganged up on. Seems like that guy knew what he was talking about, and had some amazing foresight, because it looks like most of the people in this thread have come around on the idea of too much of a good thing is a slippery slope of overexposure...who was it again? Oh yeah, it was ME.

Score another for W2B, as usual I knew you nerds would come around and see things my way. Thanks.

I'll be bumping that kicking thread in a few years when they change the rules. Later, geeks.
                            Let Rams have his trolling schtick, you're better than that.

Comment

• Bomberooski
                              #GoHawks
                              • Feb 2009

I'm with Bill. Save the Thursday night games until November.
                              I give rep not thanks
                              My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

Working...