the Teams two weeks before the Super Bowl, what goes on practice wise ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ram29jackson
    Noob
    • Nov 2008

the Teams two weeks before the Super Bowl, what goes on practice wise ?

just some pre Super Bowl small talk..

since about somewhere during the first 20 Super Bowls teams figured out it was better to treat the first week as if the game was the following sunday with an extra day to rest involved.
    What I heard a few days ago was that the first Monday through Wednesday ( maybe he meant Tuesday, I don't know I heard it on radio) they let the players have time to get their plans together with family and take care of ticket crap n travel n what ever.
    and don't actually start practice with team till Thursday through Saturday of first week.
    Now I know that most while getting plans together Monday through Wednesday are looking at film and stuff.

But they only practice their base plays and so called game plan that Wednesday through Saturday before leaving Sunday for week 2?
    I know they have practice sessions during this second week but what exactly are they doing?
    they are sticking with the game plan instituted the first week and just rinse and repeating the practice sessions or they lighten or vary them up a little ?

...and I'm sure since the 1990s they've not allowed any media to film certain aspects of the practice sessions since Jimmy Johnson caught Kelly on tv doing shovel passes to Thurman Thomas up the middle behind an interview being held at that practice session and basically kept the middle closed against them in that SB

I have no problem with a 2 week gap since its football. Dinged up players get healthier for this one shot game.
    But how might the second week help or take away if at all from preparation ?
  • KINGOFOOTBALL
    • Feb 2009

At one point 1 week SB gaps resulted in closer games and 2 week gaps resulted in blowouts .
    Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• Aso
      The Serious House
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
      At one point 1 week SB gaps resulted in closer games and 2 week gaps resulted in blowouts .
      Are you sure it wasn't because the NFC was a lot better than the AFC at the time

Comment

• ram29jackson
        Noob
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by KINGOFOOTBALL
        I don't think its a negative. It shows who prepared better and who clowned around the week before. they get middle season bye weeks too.

and again, being football, I think players should be allowed to heal up a little

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Aso
          Are you sure it wasn't because the NFC was a lot better than the AFC at the time
          Just stating a fun fact. I havent looked at the 2/1 week comparisons of those eras in a long time. Good question as it probably was though.
          Best reason to have a license.

Comment

Working...