Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Kyle Shanahan to Browns as OC

Kyle Shanahan wasn't out of work long. Jason La Canfora reports the former Redskins offensive coordinator is, as expected, taking the Browns offensive coordinator job and has agreed to a three-year deal with Cleveland.

La Canfora reports Shanahan had a "very impressive interview" Wednesday and the "sides have stayed in touch since." Shanahan took the job after returning to the US on Monday from a vacation.

Shanahan had a tumultous season with Washington in 2013. He and his father parted ways with the Skins after an end-of-season benching of quarterback Robert Griffin III and Washington skidding to a 3-13 record.

He'll replace Norv Turner, who is now with Mike Zimmer and the Vikings, after Turner was let go along with Rob Chudzinski.

Cleveland recently hired Mike Pettine away from the Bills as their latest head coach and it'll be up to Shanahan to help turn around an offense that was not particularly impressive in 2013.

The Browns played well with Brian Hoyer (of all people) under center, but struggled badly once they resorted to Jason Campbell and Brandon Weeden later in the year.

Certainly the addition of Shanahan will ramp up speculation that the Browns could pursue Kirk Cousins, the Redskins backup who was a Shanahan favorite.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...o-be-browns-oc
    Very good move for Pettine, he will be able to put the offense in Kyle's hands and be confident he will do well. I really think the Browns are committed to Manziel, and the work that Shanahan did in constructing the offense in Washington for RGIII makes me think that is the direction they go. However, he did a very good job with a pocket passer with Schaub in Houston, so they could make a trade for Cousins as well.

Manziel is the big name, and I think that's the direction they go.
  • Aso
    The Serious House
    • Nov 2008

Cousins hasn't done enough to warrant being traded for to become a starter. I can't see any team trading for him to be one, even his former OC. As far as the drafts QB's who knows, a lot of reports have come out saying the Browns are high on Manziel but we still have a lot of time to go before the draft and it could be smokescreens.

It'll be interesting to see what Kyle will do without his dad over his shoulder. He does have a lot of work to do as far as that rushing offense which he obviously has a pretty good track record of doing.

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
      • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Aso
      Cousins hasn't done enough to warrant being traded for to become a starter. I can't see any team trading for him to be one, even his former OC. As far as the drafts QB's who knows, a lot of reports have come out saying the Browns are high on Manziel but we still have a lot of time to go before the draft and it could be smokescreens.

It'll be interesting to see what Kyle will do without his dad over his shoulder. He does have a lot of work to do as far as that rushing offense which he obviously has a pretty good track record of doing.
      I wouldn't say that Shanahan needs to be concerned with the perception of his dad being over his shoulder. If I recall correctly, some questioned why he jumped ship from Houston to the Redskins because many thought of him as close to becoming a head coach at that time. Kyle actually has to worry more about rebuilding his reputation at this point to get back to where he was thought of in coaching circles. I think he can do that.

Comment

• Maynard
        stupid ass titles
        • Feb 2009

they been talking about cousins all dam day. is he any better than hoyer in the sense that isnt hoyer just as much of a crap shoot as cousins? but at least with hoyer you dont give up picks to see what he can do.

we need a bigtime name like manzeil

Comment

• ThomasTomasz
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Maynard
          they been talking about cousins all dam day. is he any better than hoyer in the sense that isnt hoyer just as much of a crap shoot as cousins? but at least with hoyer you dont give up picks to see what he can do.

we need a bigtime name like manzeil
          I really like Cousins, he's a true professional and I think this would be a good situation for him to go into with Kyle Shanahan. But Cleveland should not give up picks for Cousins, I'd hedge my bets with Hoyer/Manziel.

Comment

Working...