Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasTomasz
    • Sep 2024

Sherman: Manning telegraphed plays

All night long the Seahawks swarmed on the Broncos. Every time Demaryius Thomas, Wes Welker or Eric Decker caught a ball from Peyton Manning -- most of them on crossing routes -- they quickly got popped. And the Seahawks defenders talked plenty about how hard they hit the Broncos players, but they also believe it helped that Manning was telegraphing his plays.

Richard Sherman, speaking to Robert Klemko of TheMMQB.com, said the Seahawks played Manning straight up but also "jumped some routes."

"All we did was play situational football," Sherman said. "We knew what route concepts they liked on different downs, so we jumped all the routes. Then we figured out the hand signals for a few of the route audibles in the first half."

And then, according to Klemko, Sherman "demonstrate[s] the signs Manning used for various routes" and claimed he and his teammates were predicting the plays Manning used during the game and nailing them.

"Me, Earl [Thomas], Kam [Chancellor] ... we're not just three All-Pro players. We're three All-Pro minds," Sherman said. "Now, if Peyton had thrown in some double moves, if he had gone out of character, we could've been exposed."

Hindsight is a funny thing, but it's a lot easier to talk that kind of talk when you put the whipping on someone that the Seahawks put on the Broncos.

Sherman and the Seattle defense allowed the Broncos just 122 yards after catch on 34 receptions (a puny 3.6 YAC on each reception), which means they did indeed swarm to every throw Manning made.

That doesn't even take into account the fact that the Seahawks led 29-0 after the first play of the third quarter. Things could've been even uglier had Seattle not been up so big.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...graphing-plays
    Definitely looking forward to hearing opinions on this one.
  • Bomberooski
    #GoHawks
    • Feb 2009

The proof is in the pudding. 2 picks. 1 loss
    I give rep not thanks
    My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• Aso
      The Serious House
      • Nov 2008

Sherman even said it, if they ran some double moves they could've exposed them. They didn't try any, not 1 all game long. They tried their 5 yard crossing routes and screen passes from snap first to snap last. Seattle rushed 4 guys most of the games, they could've tried some max protections. They could've tried something else other than a 5 yard crossing route and screen passes. They became incredibly predictable.

Comment

• KINGOFOOTBALL
        • Feb 2009

That first play razzled Manning and changed everything.
        Even though he was telegraphing things like STARING down the left WR in 3 consecutive plays the fact is the Broncos still had guys coming free. The Seahawks avoided the rub plays and nailed the Broncos after the catch but Manning still was just flat out missing guys.Bad calls were made all over but that's been covered already.
        Best reason to have a license.

Comment

• ram29jackson
          Noob
          • Nov 2008

that's fine..thats football strategy back and forth and it happens. But this Sherman guy is becoming more of a smart ass each day.

He's bad mothing the Bronco's now saying they were no better than the preseason game etc. You might say theres nothing wrong with it but I think he goes about it a little too loudly and in the wrong way. Manning has tact, Sherman has no tact.

Seattle is becoming the new Raiders.

Comment

• Bomberooski
            #GoHawks
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ram29jackson
            that's fine..thats football strategy back and forth and it happens. But this Sherman guy is becoming more of a smart ass each day.

He's bad mothing the Bronco's now saying they were no better than the preseason game etc. You might say theres nothing wrong with it but I think he goes about it a little too loudly and in the wrong way. Manning has tact, Sherman has no tact.

So you are saying that every Bronco has tact? Because I would counter then with, Russell Wilson has tact (insert any loud player from any team) has no tact.

I do know one thing.

Peyton Manning has no Super Bowl ring this year. Richard Sherman has one. And that's the reason they play.
            I give rep not thanks
            My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• spursup
              Noob
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Bomberooski
              So you are saying that every Bronco has tact? Because I would counter then with, Russell Wilson has tact (insert any loud player from any team) has no tact.

I do know one thing.

Peyton Manning has no Super Bowl ring this year. Richard Sherman has one. And that's the reason they play.
              By your logic, Manning is the entire Broncos team and Sherman is the entire Seahawks team.

Rams never said anything about the rest of the Broncos and Seahawks.

Comment

• Houston
                Back home
                • Oct 2008

I'm hoping this is only a story because of the superbowl and Richard Sherman quotes aren't gonna continue being news.

Comment

• Bomberooski
                  #GoHawks
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by baseballchampion
                  By your logic, Manning is the entire Broncos team and Sherman is the entire Seahawks team.

Rams never said anything about the rest of the Broncos and Seahawks.
                  You're better than this baseball (Houston is not).

Rams is saying that the Seahawks are the new Raiders. That is based off of Sherman and no one else. SOOOOOO that means that he IS saying that Sherman is the entire Seahawks team. Come on man, keep up with the thread. Please.
                  I give rep not thanks
                  My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• ram29jackson
                    Noob
                    • Nov 2008

I do know one thing.

that's great ! Sherman is still a loud mouth moron till he matures. We see the cycle all the time..I'm sure/I hope he wises up but right now he's had a little too much success too early and he wont shut up. He needs to spend his free time being a good citizen and teach Lynch how to read.

LOL and as I type this the NFL network quotes him talking to and shaking hands with Manning and Manning asking him if he was all right etc..and he goes on to praise Manning... I still think he needs to pipe it more often

Comment

• Bomberooski
                      #GoHawks
                      • Feb 2009

that's great ! Sherman is still a loud mouth moron till he matures. We see the cycle all the time..I'm sure/I hope he wises up but right now he's had a little too much success too early and he wont shut up. He needs to spend his free time being a good citizen and teach Lynch how to read.

LOL and as I type this the NFL network quotes him talking to and shaking hands with Manning and Manning asking him if he was all right etc..and he goes on to praise Manning... I still think he needs to pipe it more often
                      I give rep not thanks
                      My Audio Blog (Whoring)

Comment

• ram29jackson
                        Noob
                        • Nov 2008

Rams is saying that the Seahawks are the new Raiders. That is based off of Sherman and no one else. SOOOOOO that means that he IS saying that Sherman is the entire Seahawks team. Come on man, keep up with the thread. Please.
                        they must be the new raiders if all the new passing/contact rules apply to everyone but them.

Comment

• Aso
                          The Serious House
                          • Nov 2008

Well I'm gonna just say his name is probably baseball for a reason.

Comment

• spursup
                            Noob
                            • Dec 2013

they must be the new raiders if all the new passing/contact rules apply to everyone but them.
                            They do seem to get away with more than their fair share of defensive holding/pass interference but calling them the new Raiders is a bit much. At least the Seahawks do it with class except for Sherman.

Comment

• ram29jackson
                              Noob
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Aso
                              Well I'm gonna just say his name is probably baseball for a reason.
                              because he has stitches in his forehead ? j/k

Comment

Working...